Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Paint Strippers
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua Plymouth Yard Diesel problems Topic Next Topic: Replacing Bachmann Drive Shaft?  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 10 2019 :  1:45:11 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
What is the best stuff to use for stripping paint off plastic models? To get it down to the bare plastic for a good custom paint job. Specifically a tyco century 430.

I also need to strip two other locos. I'm most likely getting a mini paint sprayer for xmas and I'm going to need to get ready! I'm stripping 3 locos that I brush painted which dont look that great to me anymore. Progress updates on all 3 will follow in 2020!

Thanks!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on November 10 2019 1:45:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 11 2019 :  01:14:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
DOT 3 brake fluid, seriously. Lot of paint strippers out there I am sure, but
at triple the price. A bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid will cost less than 5 bucks,
by comparison. But it HAS to be the DOT 3 on the label. Other brake fluid
is this environmentally friendly stuff, and will not remove anything.

DOT 3 will take off the paint effectively, while leaving the plastic alone.
An old tooth brush may be used to remove the paint that clings to the
details, like vents and grates. An overnight soaking will do the trick.
Cleans with tap water. One bottle is good for at least two total paint
strips.

Most likely many other ways, and some of the guys here go to great
lengths.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 11 2019 :  07:38:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
DOT 3 brake fluid, seriously. Lot of paint strippers out there I am sure, but
at triple the price. A bottle of DOT 3 brake fluid will cost less than 5 bucks,
by comparison. But it HAS to be the DOT 3 on the label. Other brake fluid
is this environmentally friendly stuff, and will not remove anything.

DOT 3 will take off the paint effectively, while leaving the plastic alone.
An old tooth brush may be used to remove the paint that clings to the
details, like vents and grates. An overnight soaking will do the trick.
Cleans with tap water. One bottle is good for at least two total paint
strips.

Most likely many other ways, and some of the guys here go to great
lengths.

Originally posted by Chops124 - November 11 2019 :  01:14:05 AM

Thanks! Exactly what I was looking for. Is DOT 3 At Advance Auto? And can I re - use the stuff that I used on one loco for another?
Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - November 11 2019 :  3:10:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
I've had a lot of good luck with Super Clean. It's an industrial strength de-greaser that runs about
$5-6 a gallon and will strip a bunch of models. When using it, do NOT use bare hands. It will take
all of the oil out of your skin very quickly. Use gloves. I leave it in the bath for about 2-3 hours
and then check it. Once it strips, you can rinse it in warm water (it won't hurt the environment)
and use a toothbrush for the fine detail. It also goes by Purple Power.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 11 2019 :  3:31:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I've had a lot of good luck with Super Clean. It's an industrial strength de-greaser that runs about
$5-6 a gallon and will strip a bunch of models. When using it, do NOT use bare hands. It will take
all of the oil out of your skin very quickly. Use gloves. I leave it in the bath for about 2-3 hours
and then check it. Once it strips, you can rinse it in warm water (it won't hurt the environment)
and use a toothbrush for the fine detail. It also goes by Purple Power.

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - November 11 2019 :  3:10:32 PM

I'll have to see about that as well! Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 11 2019 :  5:40:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Most auto shops carry it, but make certain DOT 3 is on the label.
Next time I go on a painting binge, I think I will try Old Timer's
method.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 17 2019 :  02:16:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - November 17 2019 :  02:19:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I remember brake fluid when it would damage car paint if it made contact with it. Of course the new urethane clearcoats could care less about it...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Crown Vic
Little Six

Posted - November 17 2019 :  2:58:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Crown Vic to Buddylist
Super Clean and 91% alcohol are my go-to products for plastic. I have brake fluid on hand but hardly ever use it.

It depends on the piece you are stripping too. Some brands all it takes is a dip in alcohol and it washes away. Others the alcohol won't touch but the Super Clean will do, and vice versa. Sometimes a long soak in Super Clean followed by alcohol does the job.

Honestly, if those two won't do it, it's not worth any more trouble to me and I'll do it like the real railroads do - just paint over the old finish.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 101  ~  Member Since: June 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 17 2019 :  3:38:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
One of them is specifically a Tyco 430, as stated. Has anybody ever tried stripping one of these?

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - November 17 2019 :  5:17:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Be careful with brake fluid. It'll dissolve plastic!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 17 2019 :  6:02:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Be careful with brake fluid. It'll dissolve plastic!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - November 17 2019 :  5:17:13 PM

Ah, good to know! So avoid brake fluid?

Theres so many different methods here!

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - November 20 2019 :  11:10:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Scalecoat II "Wash Away" paint stripper is magic, the old Tyco paint will simply rinse off after being immersed in this fluid for about an hour.

Check out my thread on rebuilding Tyco pluggers here...

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16767&whichpage=1

to see how I stripped paint off my models.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 21 2019 :  10:47:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Scalecoat II "Wash Away" paint stripper is magic, the old Tyco paint will simply rinse off after being immersed in this fluid for about an hour.

Check out my thread on rebuilding Tyco pluggers here...

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16767&whichpage=1

to see how I stripped paint off my models.

Originally posted by Srenchin - November 20 2019 :  11:10:39 PM

Would I have to order this online? Or can I find this at a hobby shop?

Thanks!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 26 2019 :  4:19:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I bought some of the DOT 3 brake fluid at Walmart, and have been stripping the century 430 and booster.

It works!

It does take time, however. Over the past 3 days I have been at it. Hoping to finish today. I got an airbrush and compressor for xmas () and will hopefully be painting tommorow. I also got the model railroaded book on painting and weathering, so I'm all set to learn. I will be doing some mods to the 430. Stay tuned. The painting process will be posted here.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 26 2019 :  6:09:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I am looking forward to what you come up with. I find a
tooth brush helps a bit, usually 24 hours is enough to
rid most of the paint.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - December 26 2019 :  6:22:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
Easy Off oven cleaner...

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 26 2019 :  7:03:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I am looking forward to what you come up with. I find a
tooth brush helps a bit, usually 24 hours is enough to
rid most of the paint.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 26 2019 :  6:09:30 PM

Yep, some of the oils tyco used are a bit stubborn, should be off by tonight.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 26 2019 :  7:04:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Easy Off oven cleaner...

Mike

Originally posted by Mike - December 26 2019 :  6:22:55 PM

How much for how many oz?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 28 2020 :  07:06:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Bringing this topic back because I got another question...

How do you remove the paint from the grills of a diesel? It's loose, but nothing I have is small enough to get it out. I know there has to be a method. I've tried blasting it with my hose and cutting down the bristles on a paintbrush - not so much luck.

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - February 28 2020 :  11:05:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist
quote:

How do you remove the paint from the grills of a diesel? It's loose, but nothing I have is small enough to get it out. I know there has to be a method. I've tried blasting it with my hose and cutting down the bristles on a paintbrush - not so much luck.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - February 28 2020 :  07:06:05 AM

Toothbrush (old)…

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - February 28 2020 :  5:54:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - February 28 2020 :  07:06:05 AM

Toothbrush (old)…

Mike

Originally posted by Mike - February 28 2020 :  11:05:06 AM

tried it, not getting it out. That's what I use to brush off the paint anyway.
  Previous Topic: Mantua Plymouth Yard Diesel problems Topic Next Topic: Replacing Bachmann Drive Shaft?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000