Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 My NEW N-Scale Layout
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO II Topic Next Topic: First Day of Amtrak
Page: of 3

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 15 2019 :  01:17:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Smooth sailing through the Hidden Valley. You know, that village
with the semi-flats looks pretty good the way the forest encloses
the back of it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 15 2019 :  4:40:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Smooth sailing through the Hidden Valley. You know, that village
with the semi-flats looks pretty good the way the forest encloses
the back of it.

Originally posted by Chops124-December 15 2019: 01:17:38 AM

Thank you, Chops! I appreciate it!

My plans for the Alpine Railway from this point forward are to add prototypical German N-Scale railroad signs/signals, as well as continue adding more locomotives & wagons to the roster. Please stay tuned for more updates on this long-term project.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 15 2019 :  5:01:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Ooh! Sea blue and cream! Very classy! You should get some matching coaches!

I look forward to the signs, etc.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 16 2019 :  12:34:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I do hope you save towards a visit to Germany. I am saving
towards a 2020 visit to the UK.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 16 2019 :  7:23:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Alex! Signs will be coming very soon....I just have to do a bit more research.

Chops - LOL. Perhaps. Good luck on saving for your 2020 UK trip!

UPDATE:

I am currently researching, as well as asking questions on the Railways of Germany forum, into the meaning/proper placement of German railroad signs on the Alpine Railway. Here's a "map" of signs, that I created in advance.

Stay tuned.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Edited by - RP model railroads on December 16 2019 10:08:09 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 08 2020 :  6:26:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Will be getting back to the signs on the Alpine Railroad sometime in the future. This layout is not dead.

For now, enjoy this video of a German DB classic V200 diesel, set to Beethoven's Moonlight Sonata.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9a7PVVlmjk

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 09 2020 :  01:35:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Show worthy. N micro layout is new and different.
Moon Light Sonata great choice.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 09 2020 :  07:32:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Ever thought about bringing the Alpine Line to a show?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 09 2020 :  10:22:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Another nice video with a timeless classic added to the mix Robert.
Very few young people today know and appreciate that type of music.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5876  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 09 2020 :  11:02:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:

Another nice video with a timeless classic added to the mix Robert.
Very few young people today know and appreciate that type of music.

Originally posted by wks - July 09 2020 :  10:22:46 AM

Very true. I can't stand what the other kids are listening to.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 09 2020 :  5:48:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!! I agree, the Moonlight Sonata is a great piece of music and one of my favorite pieces of classical music (yes, I'm 18 and like classical music)

I've considered, Alex, and it can happen in the future, as now with my truck, I can certainly take any small layout to a train show.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 09 2020 :  6:30:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks guys!! I agree, the Moonlight Sonata is a great piece of music and one of my favorite pieces of classical music (yes, I'm 18 and like classical music)

I've considered, Alex, and it can happen in the future, as now with my truck, I can certainly take any small layout to a train show.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 09 2020 :  5:48:29 PM

Noice noice

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - July 10 2020 :  02:05:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
I missed this thread first time around. The transformation is amazing. You always seem to get a very lush, full look with your layout builds. Nice!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 10 2020 :  9:22:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I missed this thread first time around. The transformation is amazing. You always seem to get a very lush, full look with your layout builds. Nice!

Originally posted by DaCheez-July 10 2020: 02:05:26 AM

Thanks, DaCheez! I appreciate it!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 11 2020 :  07:20:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Pretty remarkable to dive into a realm without a particular connection to it, and
create this surprising micro layout. I am making a few mental notes with
which to bump up my British layout.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 11 2020 :  3:53:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
Pretty remarkable to dive into a realm without a particular connection to it, and

Originally posted by Chops124-July 11 2020: 07:20:09 AM

Thanks Chops, I appreciate it, and am flattered to hear that the Alpine Railway is giving you some notes to improve Henley. In fact, it was your British layout that inspired me in part, to begin a foreign-themed model railroad, and given my love of the Loco-Commotion game when I was younger, I immediately defaulted to German Railroading.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 11 2020 :  4:43:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124-July 11 2020: 07:20:09 AM

Thanks Chops, I appreciate it, and am flattered to hear that the Alpine Railway is giving you some notes to improve Henley. In fact, it was your British layout that inspired me in part, to begin a foreign-themed model railroad, and given my love of the Loco-Commotion game when I was younger, I immediately defaulted to German Railroading.

What's loco - commotion?

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 11 2020 :  3:53:16 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 11 2020 :  11:05:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Alex,

Here's the original thread I started last year when I was first deciding upon building a German layout - describes the Loco-Commotion Game connection.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=19371

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 12 2020 :  08:52:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I see. I also googled the game. Just goes to show how something like that can inspire. Like how I made a tribute locomotive for "Chris Sawyers Locomotion"

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 12 2020 :  4:42:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

"Elementary, my dear Watson!" It was a pleasure, but a puzzle, watching you take a deep dive into
German model railroading. In other words, I've yet to meet a model railroader that didn't have some
nostalgic connection to the theme he, or she, was modeling. In our chats, I'd not known you to have
a particular connection to Germany, as I have, for example, with England. That Alpine Valley is
connected to your affection for this video game makes much more sense, now.

The above wagon is a Wrenn piece that was included in my first train set while living in the UK from
1966. At that age I didn't care much about the Beatles, but I surely loved a train. Somehow this one
piece survived a great many moves across the map, and when I rediscovered it in an old card board
box, it brought back many happy memories and became the seed from which I grew Henley.

If I ever have the time () or the money () I'd like to do a micro layout of Spain, and
even the USSR. France, while we're at it. But of the three Spain- I've blended in some Electrotren
wagons and coaches from Spain into Henley (no one knows, or cares, about the difference), and
they are exquisite gems built to last centuries. And I did visit Spain while living in the UK back in '67,
visited the ancient cave paintings, must have been in Altamira. That experience left me with a
life time fascination of Paleolithic Man.

BTW: I saw a photo of Hidden Valley upon a small dresser. I went back to find it, but cannot. This is the
first time I remember seeing Hidden Valley's relationship to another object, so I always assumed it was
so much larger. It appears to be not much more than 2 x 2? Your video and photography, as always,
is so neatly done that it makes the layout seem so much larger.

I really like micro layouts (4 x 4 and smaller), and Alpine Valley is a true micro layout of a fine order!

Edited by - Chops124 on July 12 2020 4:50:03 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 12 2020 :  5:10:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
On the topic of the USSR, I might pick up this 3D printed SZD (RUS) Class O 0-8-0 from shapeways and motorize it

How has the bowker been treating you?

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 12 2020 6:30:56 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 12 2020 :  5:16:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Alex, yep, it was one of the few computer games I actually played in my younger days, and still have a fondness for - yet, my #1 favorite game of all time will remain Railroad Tycoon 3.

Interesting nostalgia connection with that "wagon," Chops, and yep, it is always the little memories that seem to make the biggest difference, especially in model railroading. I think that doing a layout of Spain would be awesome, but I personally would really like to see you build a layout of the USSR, during the Cold War years. I haven't really seen anything like that done yet, at least here in the US.

Yep, the Alpine Railroad was placed on a dresser bought from a nearby Habitat for Humanity ReStore a few months ago, so I could better store my locomotives and cars as I accumulated them. The layout itself is indeed only about 3 feet long by 2 feet wide, and I'm honored to hear that you always thought it was bigger. That is one of the great things about N-Scale - you can build a great layout in half the space as HO - which is why I'll always love N-Scale the most.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 12 2020 :  10:15:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I personally would really like to see you build a layout of the USSR, during the Cold War years. I haven't really seen anything like that done yet, at least here in the US.
Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 12 2020 :  5:16:39 PM

That was hard to do anywhere. There were model railroaders in the USSR at the time, but all models had to be built pretty much from memory since photographing railroads was illegal. There was not much ready made equipment, so Russian model railroaders were ambitious scratch builders to say the least.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 13 2020 :  08:50:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
That's right. There are still very little Russian locomotive models out there.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 13 2020 :  08:56:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Very true, Scsshaggy - would definitely be a challenge, to say the least.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 13 2020 :  2:41:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I seen that Marklin made a few USSR locomotives, the prices
were enough to peel paint off the walls. USSR uses a
broad gauge, but the Marklins used the standard HO.

Years ago, the USSR deliberately had a different track
gauge from that of neighboring China, so in the event
of an invasion, the Chinese would be hampered by
being unable to use troop trains without changing
gauges.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 13 2020 :  4:27:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I seen that Marklin made a few USSR locomotives, the prices
were enough to peel paint off the walls. USSR uses a
broad gauge, but the Marklins used the standard HO.

Years ago, the USSR deliberately had a different track
gauge from that of neighboring China, so in the event
of an invasion, the Chinese would be hampered by
being unable to use troop trains without changing
gauges.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 13 2020 :  2:41:16 PM

Interesting. I did not know that! I didn't know they used broad gauge either.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 13 2020 :  7:27:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I think the Russian gauge is something like 5 feet. It's not so different that a standard gauge model would look wrong. There were locomotives being built for Russia before the revolution that were not delivered after it. Those were parceled out to U.S. railroads and adapted to 4 ' 8-1/2" by putting on a wide tire that had the flange inboard of the drive wheels. One of those ended up at Illinois Railway Museum. When it was being moved there, it encountered switches with self-guarding frogs. Self guarding frogs have a flange sticking up that engages the outside edge of the wheel, assuming it's where it normally is, and not almost 2" farther out. I understand that didn't go smoothly.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 13 2020 :  7:51:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I didn't know that about those flanges, thanks for posting.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  10:22:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I didn't know that about those flanges, thanks for posting.

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 13 2020 :  7:51:17 PM

Same, thanks shaggy! So basically, if I understand correctly, the locomotives are basically standard gauge, but have wider flanges to accommodate the 5 foot gauge. The dimensions are almost identical because the track is only a few inches wider.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 14 2020 :  1:25:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
So basically, if I understand correctly, the locomotives are basically standard gauge, but have wider flanges to accommodate the 5 foot gauge. The dimensions are almost identical because the track is only a few inches wider.
Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 14 2020 :  10:22:45 AM

The locomotive was built for 5' gauge, so when it was used on standard gauge track, it had a wider tread, the outer edge of which was where it would normally be for 5' gauge. The inner edge, where the flange is, was where it needed to be for standard gauge.

Carpe Manana!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 14 2020 :  3:32:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
So basically, if I understand correctly, the locomotives are basically standard gauge, but have wider flanges to accommodate the 5 foot gauge. The dimensions are almost identical because the track is only a few inches wider.
Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 14 2020 :  10:22:45 AM

The locomotive was built for 5' gauge, so when it was used on standard gauge track, it had a wider tread, the outer edge of which was where it would normally be for 5' gauge. The inner edge, where the flange is, was where it needed to be for standard gauge.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - July 14 2020 :  1:25:54 PM

Ok, I get it now. I was somewhat correct.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 14 2020 :  5:28:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
[quote] [quote]Pretty remarkable to dive into a realm without a particular connection to it, and

So last night, I began setting out some WS grass, which will eventually fill in all the blanks
on Henley, to give it that more "lush" look. Here are some of the results:

Going to post some others under TF Railroad News.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 14 2020 :  10:17:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice, Chops. Be sure to post this under your "Henley" thread too.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 15 2020 :  08:49:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
WOW Chops, that really improves the look! Can we get a nice picture overview of Henley when you finish laying the turf?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 27 2020 :  10:25:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Finding good deals on N-Scale German locomotives and rolling stock, whether in or outside the US, has been difficult. Yet, I finally got my FAVORITE German locomotive in N-Scale, at a decent price, and it is on its way to the Alpine Railroad. A sneak peek.....

Photo credit to Ebay seller

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2020 :  12:01:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looks like a jelly bean. Nifty piece.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 28 2020 :  08:57:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Finding good deals on N-Scale German locomotives and rolling stock, whether in or outside the US, has been difficult. Yet, I finally got my FAVORITE German locomotive in N-Scale, at a decent price, and it is on its way to the Alpine Railroad. A sneak peek.....

Photo credit to Ebay seller

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 27 2020 :  10:25:52 PM

Ah, the ol' class 103. Such a sleek design. I thought your favorite was the V200?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 28 2020 :  7:22:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, I should have been more specific - my favorite German diesel locomotive is the V200, favorite German electric locomotive is the Class 103, and I have yet to dive deeper into German steam locomotives. :)

Agreed, Chops - in fact, these locomotives got the nickname "Egg Heads."

UPDATE:

Tonight I finally built this Fuel Tanks kit by Ratio Plastic Models of England. Easy to assemble, to say the least! I'm going to allow the liquid cement to fully dry for about a day, and then I'll move on to paint it. Not sure whether I'll actually buy model paint for this, or just spray paint it.

Edited by - RP model railroads on July 28 2020 9:42:02 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 28 2020 :  11:04:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

The above wagon is a Wrenn piece that was included in my first train set while living in the UK from
1966. At that age I didn't care much about the Beatles, but I surely loved a train. Somehow this one
piece survived a great many moves across the map, and when I rediscovered it in an old card board
box, it brought back many happy memories and became the seed from which I grew Henley.
Originally posted by Chops124 - July 12 2020 :  4:42:01 PM

the character on the side is called a Golliwog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 29 2020 :  08:38:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Model paint is usually just the term for when it's paint in a specific color. Camo green, Soo line red, etc. Other than that paint is paint.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 29 2020 :  7:01:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Paints made for model building often have the pigments ground finer than other paints such as house paint, so that the paint covers with a thinner coat. In that sense, "model paint" often refers to the paints specifically marketed to hobbyists.
Carpe Manana!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 29 2020 :  9:45:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, that's what I meant, scsshaggy.

Anyway, I did what I originally intended to do and just spray painted the tanks black. The temperatures were in the low 90's today, so the paint dried quickly, to say the least.

I then took a Q-tip, dabbed it in some acrylic paint, and added a touch of red to the valves on top of the "pipes" leading from the tanks, and yellow to the drain valves on the rear of the tanks. I then placed the fuel tanks in their intended position on the Alpine Railway and they look awesome. I'll just do a little scenery work and then they will fit in perfectly.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 30 2020 :  07:55:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I'm assuming those tanks are meant to fuel the many diesels on the line..

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 30 2020 :  9:27:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-July 30 2020: 07:55:35 AM

Precisely. I do plan to doing something else to this layout soon which will further enhance its realism - add N-Scale electric catenary! But first, I have to fix the tops of my tunnel entrances which are hindering some of my electric locomotives from going thru when their pantographs are raised. I'll either develop something to hold the pantographs at a certain height or modify the tunnel entrances in some way. More on that later.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 31 2020 :  08:22:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-July 30 2020: 07:55:35 AM

Precisely. I do plan to doing something else to this layout soon which will further enhance its realism - add N-Scale electric catenary! But first, I have to fix the tops of my tunnel entrances which are hindering some of my electric locomotives from going thru when their pantographs are raised. I'll either develop something to hold the pantographs at a certain height or modify the tunnel entrances in some way. More on that later.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 30 2020 :  9:27:09 PM

I was actually just about to mention That! Yes, please Do! I know marklin and trix make N scale catenary. I'm assuming you wouldn't need a lot, either.

Some simple sanding around the tops of the tunnel might alleviate the issues.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 31 2020 :  08:56:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A little brass skid plate to deflect the pantograph down and
under might do the trick, or beat it to death with repetition.
Perhaps a dab of glue to affix it from being to high?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 02 2020 :  9:52:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, Alex, I know about catenary and that it is made in N-Scale...but don't know exactly how it would be set up. Will look into that a little deeper first.

Chops, a skid plate - not a bad idea. I'll give that a shot first before I start shaving anything, as that might just work. I don't want to glue the pantographs though either, so if the plate idea doesn't work, I'll look at modifying the tunnel height.

Not sure if I ever showed a pic before, but the main purpose of buying the dresser to serve as the "base" of the Alpine Railway was for storage. As you can see, the top drawer is being used to store all of my current German N-Scale locomotives and wagons, and there's still much more room to fill up, in that drawer alone. The other drawers are already filled with other train stuff, with 1 filled with the remainder of all my other N-Scale trains.

Added some Woodland Scenics tri-green clump foliage as bushes around the fuel tanks. Looks awesome! Exactly the look I was hoping for.

Lastly, I received the Arnold Class 103 electric locomotive in the mail the other day, and it is amazing!! I'm so surprised to finally see one on my N-Scale Alpine Railway, as I always dreamed of owning one since starting this layout. Runs sweet, and the pantographs clear the tunnels. A video is forthcoming, so stay tuned!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 02 2020 :  10:34:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I cannot get over just how tiny this micro layout is.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 03 2020 :  08:32:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I cannot get over just how tiny this micro layout is.

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 02 2020 :  10:34:07 PM

I cannot get over how good it looks!
Page: of 3 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO II Topic Next Topic: First Day of Amtrak  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000