Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Hallmark models H10 - 44 Restoration
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: N-Scale Fleischmann DB Class 218 diesel video Topic Next Topic: Stewart F7 and Close Coupling Kit  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 27 2019 :  2:28:08 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Hi all, I have an old hallmark models H10-44. My only brass piece, and it's a literal train wreck. The mechanism itself is perfect and runs beautifully, but the hood on the shell was not soldered properly and is askew. Normal solder does not seem to flow properly on brass. What solder do I need to properly fix it again?

Also, where could I get some brass wire to make handrails for it? They are all missing.

And what could I use to replace the screen exhaust thing on top? It is all corroded.

And what do I use to clean it and help keep its shine? I tried Brasso, but it just gets corroded again.

Help would be greatly appreciated. Such a beautiful loco deserves to look the part.

Pics will come later!

Thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 27 2019 :  11:38:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Quite the project, there. I wouldn't know where to begin. Here's one link:

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/156076.aspx

I've never tried to make a handrail, ever. Let me, us, know how that
works for you.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 28 2019 :  08:16:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Alright.

Um.

I got the hood and everything aligned!

...... With the extent of a blowtorch to melt the solder.

Uhhhhggggggg.
I feel really bad about this. Especially since I BURNED my only brass locomotives shell. I'm sure I can get it off, but we live and learn.

I honestly think it looks kinda cool, like weathering!
I'm going to try and fix it up using the advice in the link chops sent me, thanks!

I'll keep this topic updated....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 28 2019 :  09:42:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looks to be a most interesting piece, that drive train looks
particularly rugged compared to the plastic things we
are now afflicted with. I take it you're going to leave
it in its brass state, no paint?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 28 2019 :  3:55:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Those are the handrails on the body's side! To keep shiny, clear it. Polish it and then wash in acetone with gloves on. Let it dry. New gloves on and then clear over it. It'll keep the shine and the brass won't corrode, etc.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 28 2019 :  4:12:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
This has me intrigued. Looked on eBay,
and all I could find where globby
puddles of white metal with lots
of flash.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 28 2019 :  4:53:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Those are the handrails on the body's side! To keep shiny, clear it. Polish it and then wash in acetone with gloves on. Let it dry. New gloves on and then clear over it. It'll keep the shine and the brass won't corrode, etc.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - October 28 2019 :  3:55:09 PM

Thank you!!!! There are actually some handrails on the front and rear that are missing. Look at a pic of an H10-44 and you'll see them. They were included on these models

Do you think the cleaning will get the burn off?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 28 2019 :  4:54:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Looks to be a most interesting piece, that drive train looks
particularly rugged compared to the plastic things we
are now afflicted with. I take it you're going to leave
it in its brass state, no paint?

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 28 2019 :  09:42:05 AM

Oh yeah, that drive train runs as smooth as silk. I am going to leave it in its brass state, once I get the burn marks and old brasso remnants off

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on October 28 2019 4:56:11 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 29 2019 :  9:26:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Good luck on this project! I, unfortunately, would be of little assistance as I know nothing about brass model trains. Sorry. :(
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - October 30 2019 :  2:49:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
First off I am no expert on soldering . But a torch is overkill if you get it to hot you will have bits popping of everywhere. You need an iron that's not to cold meaning the solder won't stick. And the solder wont flow unless there is flux on the part it's what breaks the surface tension. As for the beautiful finish on most collecters brass it's just brass colored paint an clear coat.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 31 2019 :  08:11:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
The little bit I can see of that old Hallmark drive looks more like a old International Model Products drive.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 01 2019 :  7:09:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
First off I am no expert on soldering . But a torch is overkill if you get it to hot you will have bits popping of everywhere. You need an iron that's not to cold meaning the solder won't stick. And the solder wont flow unless there is flux on the part it's what breaks the surface tension. As for the beautiful finish on most collecters brass it's just brass colored paint an clear coat.

Originally posted by Bamos - October 30 2019 :  2:49:01 PM

I always use flux, but yeah, I'm going to get a 60watt iron. Redneck Justin said that's the amount of watts you need.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 01 2019 :  7:10:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Good luck on this project! I, unfortunately, would be of little assistance as I know nothing about brass model trains. Sorry. :(

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 29 2019 :  9:26:55 PM

That's alright! I have no experience as well

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 04 2019 :  08:13:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
We have made progress! "Fairbanks" now is all clean, most of the notable areas of brasso gunk are gone, and I fixed some imperfections in the chassis with the trucks. A test run yielded that everything is A OK! I screwed the shell onto the chassis for the first time since my dad bought him for me at my first train show. Over 7 years ago! Now it is time to work on cosmetic stuff. I will have to find suitable brass wire to make the handrails. Shouldn't be too hard. Brass wire is easy to bend.
Does anybody know where I can get some?
Pics to come later

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on November 04 2019 08:14:03 AM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 04 2019 :  10:34:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
In the picture, your model appears to use a hand rail stanchion that's common across a lot of brands and is usually drilled for .020" wire, so I assume that's the size wire you need.

Clover House has straightened brass wire and coils of phosphor bronze wire. The Phosphor bronze is springy so it's a bit tricky to get bent just how you want it, and coming in a coil, it won't make as straight of a railing. On the other hand, it comes in .020" diameter. The straightened brass wire comes in .018" which is pretty close, and would be easier to shape.
http://cloverhouse.com/Cart/

K&S Precision Metals has round brass rod in .020", that really amounts to brass wire that's nice and straight and is a good starting point for hand rails. If you have a local hobby shop, it may have a selection of K&S products. Many do. Otherwise, you can order online from K&S.
http://ksmetals.com/

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 04 2019 :  4:42:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
In the picture, your model appears to use a hand rail stanchion that's common across a lot of brands and is usually drilled for .020" wire, so I assume that's the size wire you need.

Clover House has straightened brass wire and coils of phosphor bronze wire. The Phosphor bronze is springy so it's a bit tricky to get bent just how you want it, and coming in a coil, it won't make as straight of a railing. On the other hand, it comes in .020" diameter. The straightened brass wire comes in .018" which is pretty close, and would be easier to shape.
http://cloverhouse.com/Cart/

Thank you!!

K&S Precision Metals has round brass rod in .020", that really amounts to brass wire that's nice and straight and is a good starting point for hand rails. If you have a local hobby shop, it may have a selection of K&S products. Many do. Otherwise, you can order online from K&S.
http://ksmetals.com/

Originally posted by scsshaggy - November 04 2019 :  10:34:08 AM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 04 2019 :  5:05:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Here's the pictures, as promised.
I'm not TOTALLY concerned with making him shine, because in the series, Fairbanks is the villain, so he should look a bit grubby. The burn areas I couldn't get actually look a bit like weathering!

All that's left now is to take care of the missing handrails!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 04 2019 :  5:20:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow - that locomotive looks great!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 04 2019 :  5:39:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Wow - that locomotive looks great!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - November 04 2019 :  5:20:06 PM

Thank you!!

I just found out that as Scsshaggy said, my local True Value carries the straight 0.20 brass wire I need! Handrails.. Here I come!

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - November 04 2019 :  10:32:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
I think your handrails are mostly already installed. It would be good to check prototype photos first. Many first generation diesels did not have handrails along the outside of the walkway. Rather, there was just one long grab iron running along the hood of the locomotive, as is shown on your model. This may seem rather odd at first, but keep in mind that the direct predecessors to these first generation diesels, steam locomotives, also did not have handrails on the outside of the running board, but rather just one long grab iron running along the boiler. Railings on the front and rear decks, and next to the steps would be good to add.

See this photo of H 12 44 Fairbanks Morse Weyerhaeuser #1 at Snoqualmie, WA. https://www.trainmuseum.org/images/locomotive%201.jpg

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
Edited by - weekendrailroader on November 04 2019 10:34:46 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 05 2019 :  07:01:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I think your handrails are mostly already installed. It would be good to check prototype photos first. Many first generation diesels did not have handrails along the outside of the walkway. Rather, there was just one long grab iron running along the hood of the locomotive, as is shown on your model. This may seem rather odd at first, but keep in mind that the direct predecessors to these first generation diesels, steam locomotives, also did not have handrails on the outside of the running board, but rather just one long grab iron running along the boiler. Railings on the front and rear decks, and next to the steps would be good to add.

See this photo of H 12 44 Fairbanks Morse Weyerhaeuser #1 at Snoqualmie, WA. https://www.trainmuseum.org/images/locomotive%201.jpg

Originally posted by weekendrailroader - November 04 2019 :  10:32:44 PM

Yes, I am aware. Sorry i did not clarify. the handrails I mean are the ones that gi across the front and back, and there are two other small ones that are at the front as well. No, I am not putting them along the entire running board. Here are some pics showing which ones I mean.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 05 2019 :  07:03:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by weekendrailroader - November 04 2019 :  10:32:44 PM

Yes, I am aware. Sorry i did not clarify. the handrails I mean are the ones that are across the front and back, and there are two other small ones that are at the front as well. No, I am not putting them along the entire running board. Here are some pics showing which ones I mean.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - November 05 2019 :  07:01:48 AM

You can even see a small brass wire sticking up out of the front from where they used to be.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 05 2019 :  08:02:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
This part of the hobby is very rewarding, and I don't mean money. Carefully removing the body from its drive. Cleaning, adjusting, and refinishing a model like this FM diesel makes you feel good once it is done. You can learn from just looking at the drive, this drive, it is well designed and put the weight of the all metal parts on both trucks. Maybe not equally but the weight of the metal drive is there and does improve traction, that is if all wheels are powered. Without seeing the drive you don't know. My hobbyline FM H12-44's all suffer from a connecting drive shaft of 65 year old plastic tubing that is very stiff now and on sharp turns can cause derailments. The walters FM H10 - 44 is not the same and runs freer.
I read somewhere about these Raymond Lowery designed FM road switchers. I am sure it said the these aesthetic design changes were put on all the first run H-10-44's and H15-44's to improve sales, which it did. In the second year of production cost minded railroads could save cash by ordering the squared off versions of both models. The third year brought horsepower increases in both models and both were now squared off and with special order could have the Raymond Lowery aesthetics applied during assembly. Actually when viewed there is little difference in appearance between the 10 and the 12 hundred horsepower units with matching aesthetic, as well as the 15 and 16 hundred horsepower units. FM didn't reach reliability until they produced the H-14-44. This was their best switcher.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 05 2019 :  4:54:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
This part of the hobby is very rewarding, and I don't mean money. Carefully removing the body from its drive. Cleaning, adjusting, and refinishing a model like this FM diesel makes you feel good once it is done. You can learn from just looking at the drive, this drive, it is well designed and put the weight of the all metal parts on both trucks. Maybe not equally but the weight of the metal drive is there and does improve traction, that is if all wheels are powered. Without seeing the drive you don't know. My hobbyline FM H12-44's all suffer from a connecting drive shaft of 65 year old plastic tubing that is very stiff now and on sharp turns can cause derailments. The walters FM H10 - 44 is not the same and runs freer.
I read somewhere about these Raymond Lowery designed FM road switchers. I am sure it said the these aesthetic design changes were put on all the first run H-10-44's and H15-44's to improve sales, which it did. In the second year of production cost minded railroads could save cash by ordering the squared off versions of both models. The third year brought horsepower increases in both models and both were now squared off and with special order could have the Raymond Lowery aesthetics applied during assembly. Actually when viewed there is little difference in appearance between the 10 and the 12 hundred horsepower units with matching aesthetic, as well as the 15 and 16 hundred horsepower units. FM didn't reach reliability until they produced the H-14-44. This was their best switcher.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - November 05 2019 :  08:02:12 AM

Yes, it is indeed rewarding. All wheels are driven. Am not sure how much it pulls because I have not put coupler boxes on yet. Great info and story as well!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 01 2020 :  10:51:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Remember This? Yeah, it still sits on my work bench, no handrails. Now with more expertise I am going to make them. Then perhaps I will paint it. Can't stand the constant tarnishing, and I like my locomotives to look like locomotives, not brass hunks. My dad who thinks he has authourity to tell me what to do with my models, does not want me to paint it because quote: "People buy brass to run it in its brass state, not to slather paint over it." Of course, I know this is only true usually with brass COLLECTORS. People buy brass for all the detail and fine craftsmanship. Not for the color of the metal itself.

Anyhow, if I do paint it it will be painted to match my Penn line midget. Grey with yellow accents. An industrial sort of look. If it gets paint, it shall be weathered. In my Blaxland Ridge series, This locomotive "Fairbanks" is the villain. He is always scheming with "Clagwell" (The Penn line midget) to cause trouble. I think it is appropriate that he has a grungy, unkempt look.

muahahaha!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 01 2020 :  4:18:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What a beautiful piece. Please keep us posted. Paint it!

Edited by - Chops124 on August 01 2020 4:35:11 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 01 2020 :  5:20:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
What a beautiful piece. Please keep us posted. Paint it!

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 01 2020 :  4:18:08 PM

Thank you. Yes, it is a beautiful loco. I think I will.

I don't want to do any more soldering with this. So the first thing I am doing is drilling out the holes where the handrails go. I'll drill pilot holes with my pin vice, then get em' Said and done with the dremel. Then I'll make the new handrails. Should be easy.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 01 2020 :  6:28:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you could PAINT it as that'll hide the burn marks hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 01 2020 :  6:46:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
you could PAINT it as that'll hide the burn marks hehe

Originally posted by microbusss - August 01 2020 :  6:28:47 PM

Oh I ended up cleaning up those burn marks but I am still gonna paint it
  Previous Topic: N-Scale Fleischmann DB Class 218 diesel video Topic Next Topic: Stewart F7 and Close Coupling Kit  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000