Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua Shifter Restoration - With MustangsNtrains!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic Pennsylvania RR  E2 class Topic Next Topic: Mantua 75th Anniversary Set  

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 15 2019 :  07:48:24 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
On September 7th, The Buffalo Central Terminal Historical Society held their annual train show. My dad very kindly offered to fly with me to Buffalo, NY to visit my grandma, and of course, the show. The building was spectacular! They are doing an awesome job restoring it! I ended up getting a variety of things, all for great prices (My budget is low, I spend low amounts of money, you all might get jealous! ) One of my great purchases was two mantuas - A 2-6-2 Prarie done up in a custom Rio Grande scheme that runs BEAUTIFULLY, and a 50's metal - boiler, high headlight, 0-4-0 shifter. WITH THE VALVE GEAR! I got em' both for $22! Once I set up my test track at my Grandmas house, I noticed the spacers in between the rods on one side were gone. The screw was there, but the spacers were lost. I somehow did not notice that until I had got home Therefore, the screw would poke through and jam the drivetrain, and the valve gear wouldn't stay in place. (The motor does run) So I began to peruse eBay, and asked a few sellers if they had the parts. After looking at a69mustang4me's listings, and seeing his posts her (Mustangsntrains) I knew he'd have some. So I asked and he said he did. However, I still have not received them in the mail yet, so I'm still waiting on them. If you see this thread Sean, I'm very excited to get your parts!

Some pics:

I've detailed it to my liking, hope you guys like it too!
Thoughts are always welcome! I'll continue updating this thread once I get the parts

Blaxland Background
This locomotive will be #5 on the Blaxland Ridge's subdivision, the Blaxland Branch. He shares the line with two other engines, A 4-6-0 imported as a failed prototype from the NdeM, a 4-8-4, and a Southern 2-6-2. His name is Connor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2019 :  12:01:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Always a sucker for white walls. Those hand rails extend
outwards to form a sort of walrus mustache, an interesting
feature. Also curious about the dual side rods; one being
visible behind the red one.

Question: I have an 0-4-2 that slips terribly, but appears
to have a indentation to accommodate a traction tire.
Does the king pin press to fit, or is it threaded?

The unit is a Hornby.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 15 2019 :  3:56:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great finds! That steam locomotive looks awesome!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 15 2019 :  4:44:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Always a sucker for white walls. Those hand rails extend
outwards to form a sort of walrus mustache, an interesting
feature. Also curious about the dual side rods; one being
visible behind the red one.

Question: I have an 0-4-2 that slips terribly, but appears
to have a indentation to accommodate a traction tire.
Does the king pin press to fit, or is it threaded?

The unit is a Hornby.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 15 2019 :  12:01:52 PM

The side rod visible behind the red connecting rod is the main siderod, it is just drooping as well.
I love whitewalls too! I was contemplating on cutting off that portion of the handrails but yeah, I think it adds some character. I was also going to maybe make a spark arrestor out of some screen for the smokestack. What do you think about that

Sorry, but I have no knowledge on Hornby whatsoever I'll look in to it and see if I can find anything that can help.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 15 2019 :  4:45:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 15 2019 :  3:56:56 PM

Thank you! Your Retro Tyco Railroad is quite interesting as well!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2019 :  5:17:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, RP, aka "The Shark Master" is one of the few
Tyco Purists I've ever come across. I'm thinking
the Hornby king pins are push to fit, and your's
appears push to fit also. Guess the only way to
find out is start digging with a screw driver.

I tried that expensive Bull Frog Snot on it,
it didn't help at all and went on rough.

I've used Bull Frog Snot on Tyco diesel wheels
as well, and it doesn't bind well with the plastic
wheels; tends to wind right off after a yard or two.

Best thing so far has been Goodies Hair Bands for
the Tyco diesels, that both RP and I use.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 15 2019 :  5:33:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Yes, RP, aka "The Shark Master" is one of the few
Tyco Purists I've ever come across. I'm thinking
the Hornby king pins are push to fit, and your's
appears push to fit also. Guess the only way to
find out is start digging with a screw driver.

I tried that expensive Bull Frog Snot on it,
it didn't help at all and went on rough.

I've used Bull Frog Snot on Tyco diesel wheels
as well, and it doesn't bind well with the plastic
wheels; tends to wind right off after a yard or two.

Best thing so far has been Goodies Hair Bands for
the Tyco diesels, that both RP and I use.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 15 2019 :  5:17:31 PM

Nope, those pins are not push to fit. The inside hole the screw goes into on the wheel is threaded on mine. Hope you find a good alternative!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 15 2019 :  8:56:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 15 2019 :  3:56:56 PM

Thank you! Your Retro Tyco Railroad is quite interesting as well!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - October 15 2019 :  4:45:42 PM

Thank You!!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - November 10 2019 :  5:30:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I've given up on Sean. This project cant be completed without the spacers, and I'm dying to run it. So, does anybody have the set of spacers I need? They are the ones for the 50's shifter with the valve gear, as you can see. Please reply. I need these parts!

Thanks!!!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - December 02 2019 :  8:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
After visiting my friend Brian nearby (he's an ebay train store by the name of 'banks823') I got the spacer for my shifter. Pics to follow!

Not cool that sean didnt ever send it, with no explanation at all. I understand life gets in the way, but that's just not cool.

I hope one day I get a decent answer on why, but for now, my shifter is reborn!

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on December 02 2019 8:43:57 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - March 11 2020 :  2:44:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I recently tore apart my shifter, and cleaned it out. I then took him to the paint booth, and began working on his new identity. Stay tuned...

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 29 2020 :  10:03:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
This looked so unbelievably ugly, glad I repainted it.
  Previous Topic: Mantua 4-4-2 Atlantic Pennsylvania RR  E2 class Topic Next Topic: Mantua 75th Anniversary Set  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000