Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Easy Fix for Tyco PowerTorque Pinion Gear Slip
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Did I kill my Pacific''s motor? Topic Next Topic: Blue Line Tyco Talgo Truck Kadee Conversion Kit  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 24 2019 :  10:51:05 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I recall a fellow member stating a while ago that he simply used SuperGlue to affix the pinion gear back onto the drive shaft of a Tyco PowerTorque motor. Well, today my Durango GP20 popped its pinion gear, so I tried this method:

#1 - Snap-out the PowerTorque truck from the shell

#2 - Pop off the plastic tab assembly

#3- Put just a small dab of SuperGlue on top of the pinion gear

#4 - Allow to dry for several hours

I then returned tonight and first of all ensured the pinion gear could spin freely (which it could) and then I reassembled my GP20, put it back on the tracks, and unbelievably, it fired right up and flew down the track!!! I am utterly stunned at this seemingly easy fix for such a common Tyco PT problem.

By the way, I even lubricated the pinion gear directly after testing the GP20 tonight, and it continued working.

I hope this tip helps somebody else too.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 24 2019 :  11:31:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, RP, will give this a whirl.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 28 2019 :  7:35:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks like this fix may not always work. I tried this exact method to fix my Chattanooga Steamer, and after about 15 minutes of operation, the pinion gear popped back off.

However (so far) my Durango GP20 is still working fine -- which will be featured in a soon to be released video.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 28 2019 :  8:20:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I believe cleanliness may be an issue here. I would clean any oil from the gear even if there is none visible, and possibly carefully use sandpaper to create a little something for the glue to bite into...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 28 2019 :  9:37:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
it might help if you roughed up the shaft a little
So it will stay on
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 28 2019 :  10:32:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Hmmmm..thanks for the tips guys. I'll try to clean the surface well and "rough up" the drive shaft a bit...before re-applying SuperGlue. We'll see how it works.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Did I kill my Pacific''s motor? Topic Next Topic: Blue Line Tyco Talgo Truck Kadee Conversion Kit  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000