Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 23 ]  [ Total: 23 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 OTW's - The "Of The Week" Series
 Car of the Week (COTW)
 COTW: August 25th - August 31st
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: COTW: Sept. 1st - Sept. 7th Topic Next Topic: COTW August 18 to 24, 2019  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 25 2019 :  9:52:06 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here's my COTW offering:

The scarce Tyco Alaska 50' box car....won it on Ebay a month or so ago for under $10.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 25 2019 :  11:56:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Darn straight that's rare, once again, another Tyco
piece I never knew existed!

Well, I got the Bazooka car- this has been on my hit list for many years, however
I thought with the red trucks and silver chassis it would be Life Like, or something.
To my surprise, bold as life stamped on the bottom is "Tyco." What is also odd is that
it has body mounted coupler plates in the style of Athearn. The trucks appear to be
factory painted. The bolsters fit a Tyco coupler mounted truck. The shell is a typical Tyco
50 footer. I am a baffled, but it is a good runner and tracked well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 27 2019 :  5:33:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
My COTW is a cut of coal jimmies. Some years ago, I came upon an article by the late great E.L. Moore (Six-Ton Jimmy, Model Railroader, May 1967). Long ago, there were small boxes on wheels for hauling coal from the mines to the markets. They were more like 2-axle ore carts. Moore's jimmies were built using wood from a yard stick for the main chassis. One freight car truck served for the under carriage.

Since yard sticks are no longer (to my knowledge) lumber yard giveaways, I used some 1/8" thick wood that I had. I modified some archbar trucks to make them less obviously trucks. The cut of jimmies has a coupler at each end for compatibility with the rest of my rolling stock. Drawbars connect them, otherwise. I think the prototypes used link and pin couplers. Moore's model appeard to use a kind of hook and eye arrangement.

The box portion is file folder cardboard, scribed to look like planks. The coal load is actually a few taconite pellets for weight, surrounded by sand, covered with coal and glued in place with diluted carpenter's glue.

Here's the whole string, in a train:

A closer view of just a couple of jimmies:

A view of the underside shows the drawbar arrangement between jimmies and the couplers at each end. One of the couplers is an old Accurail dummy. I really don't use these in operation with switching and uncoupling, so an operating coupler is not necessary.

A closer in view gives a better idea of how the drawbars are mounted:

These are not important to normal operation on the layout, but I was intrigued by the project in Moore's article and had fun building them.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on August 27 2019 6:09:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - August 27 2019 :  6:29:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice piece, chops... I have never in my life knew of the Bazooka by Tyco...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 27 2019 :  8:38:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Those are nice little Jimmies, perfect cars to pull behind a small Shay,
Climax, or Heisler locomotive!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mike
Big Boy

CNRAvatar

Posted - August 27 2019 :  8:48:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mike to Buddylist

Mike
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1586  ~  Member Since: December 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 27 2019 :  9:56:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Srenchin, thanks for the kind words.

Mike, is the cement car a Marx product?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 29 2019 :  09:47:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I believe I recall hearing about the legendary E.L. Moore.
That string of ore cars is amazing!! Thanks RP, I am
really baffled because with the body mounts for couplers
it does not look at all like a typical Tyco 50'.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 29 2019 :  12:06:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
I believe I recall hearing about the legendary E.L. Moore.
That string of ore cars is amazing!! Thanks RP, I am
really baffled because with the body mounts for couplers
it does not look at all like a typical Tyco 50'.

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 29 2019 :  09:47:50 AM

I think most of the building kits sold by Tyco were based on buildings originally
scratch built by E.L Moore. Many of these buildings were first introduced
to the model railroading community as "How-To" articles in Model Railroader
and Model Railroad Craftsman magazines.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 30 2019 :  10:36:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Now that is a major interesting piece of Tyco history.

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 30 2019 :  8:08:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist

After doing some research I found that
the following Tyco building kits were
based on structures built by E.L. Moore,
all of which were featured in
Model Railroad Craftsman magazine
articles in 1967. Below is the list of
buildings and the MRC issue.

1. Ma's Place, January 1967
2. Schaefer Brewery, March 1967
3. Grusom Casket Company, July 1967
4. Village Blacksmith, September 1967
5. Ramsey Journal Building, December 1967

AHM did one better though, not only did they
sell the above listed buildings under their
own label, but the also produced other
E.L. Moore buildings featured in MRC articles.

1. W. E. Snatchem - Undertaker, November 1967
2. Molasses Mine & Factory, February 1969
3. Emporium Department Store, December 1969
4. Busy Bee Department Store, December 1969

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 30 2019 :  10:32:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
don't forget Ma's Place is the same building as Speed Andrew's Repair Shop too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 31 2019 :  7:00:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that is so neat!
  Previous Topic: COTW: Sept. 1st - Sept. 7th Topic Next Topic: COTW August 18 to 24, 2019  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000