Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 RETRO TYCO II
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout
Page: of 5

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 17 2020 :  10:10:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
So...I bought another Tyco Chattanooga 2-8-0 last year, when I bought the N-Scale layout that would become the base for Alpenbahn, and a bunch of other train stuff from a neighbor down the street from me, and upon running it on RETRO TYCO, it popped its pinion gear. :( So, I tried my solution in fixing pinion gears (roughing up the surface of the drive rod with a drill bit, and securing the pinion gear back on the drive shaft with liquid cement) but then a wire popped off, and so I left the "Consolidation" on my parts/repair table as I moved on to other pressing train projects. Essentially, I forgot about it.

After collecting dust for a few months, I just revisited it a few days ago, broke out the solder gun, and soldered the wire back on, as you can see below. Good as new.

I also had to replace both drive "gear" wheels, as the lips on both wheels were chewed up pretty bad/brittle, and of course in doing so, I also installed Goody's hairband traction tires.

Then, I set the locomotive on the tracks for the first time since the pinion gear was repaired months ago, and it ran perfectly! Which means my pinion gear fix worked once again (I first used it on my Durango GP20 and it is still running well, and this is the 2nd PowerTorque locomotive that I've repaired in the same way, successfully!) After the Consolidation ran around for a little bit, I noticed smoke coming from the stack....and it was at that moment I realized that this was indeed a great find - this Chattanooga 2-8-0 is the smoke version (to my understanding, not all Tyco 2-8-0's could smoke, yes?) Obviously, it still had a little oil left over which it quickly burned off. Regarding this, I'd like to ask the steam experts if any locomotive steam oil can be used, or only Tyco's....because if so, it will probably take me an eternity to find one of Tyco's authentic steam oil packets.....

Either way, it is great to have a 2nd Chattanooga 2-8-0, by far Tyco's most popular steam locomotive, in the RETRO TYCO collection, and the only problem with this one is that it is missing 1 railing on the right-front of the locomotive, not a big deal.

Video posted under "Tyco Motive Power" thread.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on July 17 2020 10:37:44 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 17 2020 :  11:01:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Pardon me boys...

BTW, I have an extra Chattanooga caboose in good
condition I’d like you to have. Plz PM me addy, again.

I reckon there is nothing special about Tyco smoke
oil. Seeing two “Chats” on this special layout looks
amazing.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 18 2020 :  08:31:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I know my buddy Harrison (SMT Mainline on youtube) uses a drop of solder over the pinon gear to keep it on the shaft.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 18 2020 :  3:58:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:
I know my buddy Harrison (SMT Mainline on youtube) uses a drop of solder over the pinon gear to keep it on the shaft.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3-July 18 2020: 08:31:57 AM

Hmmm..I tried that previously, but couldn't get the solder to drop perfectly onto the shaft. I'll definitely try again with the next PT motor I fix.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 19 2020 :  01:19:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'd probably melt the pinion by accident. I am suprised that
shiny nubbin of the shaft holds solder. Good to know, however,
there are more than one way to skin a cat.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 19 2020 :  10:16:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if you ever find a decent Tyco switcher loco let me know
I want to get the Rambo/G.I. Joe running again
when I got that train set it had NO stickers
so I made it into a US Army train hehe

Anyway layout is looking great
can't wait to do mine up soon
will be a fall & winter project
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 19 2020 :  6:49:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss-July 19 2020: 10:16:51 AM

YESSS! Please do a Microbusss layout, as you have an immense collection that just begs for a layout.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 20 2020 :  08:45:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

YESSS! Please do a Microbusss layout, as you have an immense collection that just begs for a layout.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 19 2020 :  6:49:34 PM

Honestly!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 20 2020 :  11:41:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 19 2020 :  6:49:34 PM

Honestly!!

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 20 2020 :  08:45:49 AM

hehe yes I agree with all of you!
my board is one I've had since I was a kid for my Lionel Rock Island Line set
when I got into HO I used it too
need the Heljan lighthouse for it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 21 2020 :  9:55:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Here's the latest on recent locomotive additions to the Tyco collection.

Up first is this Penn Central Plymouth diesel switcher! In great shape, except for one little broken stepladder on one side, but not a big deal. Scored it off of Ebay for $14. Runs like a charm.

Next, I think this has got to definitely be one of the best deals I've ever gotten on Ebay - not 1, but 2 Tyco "Red Box Era" C&NW GP20's!!! These are very hard to find, and I got both for $40, shipped! Both are powered, both run, but need a little bit of work - as both are missing couplers, and one needs a horn. But, that has already been fixed. After a tune-up and some cleaning, these will be featured in a video on RETRO TYCO real soon, so stay tuned!

By the way, what makes the C&NW GP20's so hard to find, I believe, is because they were only released during the "Red Box Era," and were one of the roads not then produced for the GP20 during the "Brown Box Era." They were first released in 1966.

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 21 2020 :  10:56:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Nice Plymouth switcher, Robert! I won't buy much more because I don't want a bunch of stuff that gets hidden in a drawer off of the layout. However, I added myself 60 feet of parking space for rolling stock. I think that will do.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 22 2020 :  09:11:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Huh. Never heard of the C&NW Gp 20 before. They look nice.

Say, why don't you give the PC switcher a quick clean with isopropyl alcohol to remove the dirt that shows up on the white?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 22 2020 :  7:25:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks Walt! Yeah, I actually have plenty of storage room to come, so I'm set for a long time.

Alex, good idea.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 22 2020 :  7:39:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Also I just noticed, on that triangular shaped piece that goes from the cab to the hood, the factory workers didn't cut the loco shell off the sprue flush enough! perhaps a bit of sanding will remove it. I guess it sorta looks like an exhaust stack but if you compare it with another Plymouth you will see the difference.
Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 22 2020 7:40:42 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 22 2020 :  9:22:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
More paint schemes I never knew Tyco did.
The Plymouth is fabulous.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 22 2020 :  10:58:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
You're right, Alex, I didn't pay too much attention to it before. The shell is a keeper then. Pretty unique.

Chops, yes, as I continue my Tyco search, I am still being surprised by the vastness of Tyco's train line, from the late 1950's to 1991. What an incredible toy/model train manufacturer they were, indeed.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 23 2020 :  12:07:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Also I just noticed, on that triangular shaped piece that goes from the cab to the hood, the factory workers didn't cut the loco shell off the sprue flush enough! perhaps a bit of sanding will remove it. I guess it sorta looks like an exhaust stack but if you compare it with another Plymouth you will see the difference.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - July 22 2020 :  7:39:17 PM

The triangular piece is the exhaust stack. The piece ahead of it that looks like a piece of sprue could be just that or a lame attempt at representing the air intake, seen in this photo:

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 23 2020 :  08:02:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Don’t sand that sprue!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 23 2020 :  08:44:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
No, no, no, no. I don't mean that thing, I mean this:

Now look at the exhaust stack of another Plymouth:

See, no large circular nub.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 23 2020 :  1:35:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
The thing you have circled looks like an exhaust pipe with a rain flap on it. I don't know why the Santa Fe engine doesn't have it. It looks like a good detail to have.

Here's a general overview of a similar Plymouth:

It looks a bit different, being a narrow gauge version.

Here's a closer look at the exhaust. It's running, so the rain flap is sticking up, rather than sitting down on the pipe.

Carpe Manana!
Edited by - scsshaggy on July 23 2020 1:53:22 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 23 2020 :  8:59:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
But you see, I don't think Tyco meant to have that detail modeled. I looked on my own Plymouth and I can see a circle indicating that yes, that is indeed where the shell is attached to a sprue.

No other Plymouth has this, so that's how I draw my conclusion. Nonetheless, it does look good, but it isn't intentional.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 23 2020 :  10:33:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Agreed, my Santa Fe switcher doesn't have that, so it is most definitely unique to this one, or whatever "line" it came off of.

I will not be sanding it.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 23 2020 :  11:32:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thank Heaven’s, that rain flap is particularly cool
on a Tyco, being that they were so sparse on details.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 24 2020 :  08:23:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Agreed, my Santa Fe switcher doesn't have that, so it is most definitely unique to this one, or whatever "line" it came off of.

I will not be sanding it.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 23 2020 :  10:33:55 PM

Ok then, I completely, 100%, respect your decision.

*snatches it and sands it down, then adds non Tyco related detail parts, kadees and a Blaxland paint job*

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 24 2020 :  10:50:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
*Oh no! Silence of the Tycos!!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 24 2020 :  12:10:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 24 2020 :  4:38:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOLOLOL. While I agree there is fun behind customizing, I like my Tyco's as authentic as possible. But, that's just me.

For example, I really like what this Youtuber (credit to Calvertfilm) did in making this "Apocalyptic GP20," but I also am screaming internally as that's a Rio Grande Tyco GP20, and they are HARD to find!!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 24 2020 :  9:53:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
LOLOLOL. While I agree there is fun behind customizing, I like my Tyco's as authentic as possible. But, that's just me.

For example, I really like what this Youtuber (credit to Calvertfilm) did in making this "Apocalyptic GP20," but I also am screaming internally as that's a Rio Grande Tyco GP20, and they are HARD to find!!!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 24 2020 :  4:38:00 PM

oh I'M screaming too cause I want one in Rio Grande
I may have a RG caboose by Tyco

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 24 2020 :  10:10:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 24 2020 :  4:38:00 PM

I agree Robert! I like Tyco just as it come...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 24 2020 :  10:38:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Tonight I started on a restoration project that ended in a way I didn't anticipate, but am glad it did.

I began by tearing down the PowerTorque motor truck in one of my ICG C630's. This particular one, even though I cleaned it previously and lubed it liberally, it just continued to run real slow and scream....even on full power. I unscrewed the bottom plate, and using rubbing alcohol and Q-tips, I cleaned up all grease buildup on all gears, including the axles and drive gears. Turned out great.

I then reassembled the truck, put the locomotive on the tracks, and it ran around great....then started squealing again. I'm going to hope that this time, it is actually due to lacking oil, as the gears had been cleaned.

Then...an idea popped into my head. As I had 2 ICG C630's already....why not swap out the truck assembly into a shell that could really use a 2nd life. A shell like my Tyco Burlington Northern E7! I bought this BN E7 at the train show 2 years ago, I think, and unfortunately, the PT motor popped off its pinion gear. At the time, I lost hope, removed the truck assembly, and tried to sell the shell. Long story short, it didn't sell on Ebay or the TF, and then ended up sitting inside a box, until I literally just remembered it today.

The first thing I did was remove the snap-in weight from the C630, and then popped out the "vampire" trucks. Then, I disconnected the wire by loosening the screw on the rear truck, and popped off the "vampire" snap-in plastic pieces from each truck and got them off the wire. Then, I pulled 2 spare standard PT snap-in top assemblies (I don't know the exact term) out of my parts cart, snapped them on the former "vampire" trucks, and then popped-them into the E7 shell along with the E7 weight. I then took it over to RETRO TYCO, turned on the power, and presto, the Burlington Northern E7 came back to life!

In the process of installing the trucks into the E7 shell, one of the truck covers came off, so I re-glued it back on with liquid cement, and put a few drops of Labelle oil onto the pinion gear. I'll return to it tomorrow after the glue has fully dried, to hopefully get some video action! I'm so happy I didn't lose this good condition Tyco Burlington Northern E7 shell, and am glad to see it as a running locomotive again.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 25 2020 :  07:14:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice save. Wonder what that screaming was about?

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 25 2020 :  08:20:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice save. Wonder what that screaming was about?

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 25 2020 :  07:14:23 AM

They are vampire trucks now aren't they?

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 25 2020 :  09:20:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice progress of your layout Robert. The box containing the Tyco factory appears with the cellophane wrapping.
Not opened obviously. I am sure the temptation will have you open it and display it on the layout one day.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 25 2020 :  9:41:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Thanks guys!

WKS, yes, I haven't opened it yet as I'm waiting until I find the perfect spot for it. So, for now, I spared it of dust and left it untouched.

But, it turns out I didn't solve the problem. At certain times, the locomotive just slows down to a crawl while screaming....that is after thoroughly cleaning all gears and then re-lubricating everything. :(

I also replaced all 3 drive wheels with other spare ones I had, just to see, and still it does the same thing, without rhyme or reason.

Does anyone else have an idea of what's going on here? I'm completely stumped by this.

I can get a video, if that helps.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 25 2020 :  9:53:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
you think I have the BN E7 cause its my fave railroad? NOPES
but I will get one eventually
I has the UP & Milwaukee tho

http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycobrownboxdiesels/id17.html

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 25 2020 :  10:10:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I've seen motors kind of stall and scream with issues with the brushes.

I had a Rivarossi that did that and I cleaned off the brushes and it ran like a champ.

I had an MDC that did that, and I found that the brush holder in the motor was bad and had to cobble up a repair that got the motor back running.

It's a long shot, but it might not hurt to check if everything is okay around the motor brushes.

Carpe Manana!

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 26 2020 :  08:41:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I have an undec 430 thats lying around that has the exact same problem. After lubrication it runs well, then screams and runs slow. Btw, anyone want it?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 26 2020 :  7:31:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Interesting, busss, as I also thought you already had one of them.

Scsshaggy - I honestly didn't even think to check there. I can check...but the way Tyco's powertorque trucks are, you have to unscrew this plastic plate that holds the 2 contact wires in place, on the opposite side of where the gears are, and if you are not careful, the springs and brushes come popping out and are HARD to reinstall. I actually did this to my Soo Line C430 I got from DanMacK a while back...and well, it is still waiting to be repaired, as I just couldn't get the plate to slide back on top without the brushes and springs popping out simultaneously.

Any suggestions there?

Alex....perhaps we have the same issue. I really hope I can solve this "squealing" PT problem.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 26 2020 :  9:30:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
Interesting, busss, as I also thought you already had one of them.

Scsshaggy - I honestly didn't even think to check there. I can check...but the way Tyco's powertorque trucks are, you have to unscrew this plastic plate that holds the 2 contact wires in place, on the opposite side of where the gears are, and if you are not careful, the springs and brushes come popping out and are HARD to reinstall. I actually did this to my Soo Line C430 I got from DanMacK a while back...and well, it is still waiting to be repaired, as I just couldn't get the plate to slide back on top without the brushes and springs popping out simultaneously.

Any suggestions there?

Alex....perhaps we have the same issue. I really hope I can solve this "squealing" PT problem.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 26 2020 :  7:31:47 PM

I think we do. If you get it I'll try something on mine

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 26 2020 :  9:49:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'm with Blax. Has to be vampires. Has to be.

Yeah, those dreadful little spring loaded brushes will shoot your
eye out, kid.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 27 2020 :  08:40:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
My friend Harrison (SMT Mainline) made a simple little jig to keep those brushes down when inserting them back in.

If you look up "SMT Mainline"on YouTube and watch his latest video, you'll see it in action.

Also I found this on ebay. It would make a nice addition to retro Tyco.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/264809741328

Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on July 27 2020 09:32:50 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 27 2020 :  3:12:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I actually heard of SMT, but never watched any of his videos. I'll check it out, definitely.

Nice little Southern steamer......*trying to resist urge to buy*

NEEDS it

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 27 2020 :  5:10:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
I actually heard of SMT, but never watched any of his videos. I'll check it out, definitely.

Nice little Southern steamer......*trying to resist urge to buy*

NEEDS it

Originally posted by RP model railroads - July 27 2020 :  3:12:18 PM

Harrison and I have been friends back when he didn't even have 100 subs!

Buy it!!!!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 27 2020 :  9:22:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Well, I did watch his video of restoring his 3rd New Haven E7, and that is such a clever idea. Except I don't have any thin plastic like that.

Anyway, I completely tore down the PT truck, and upon unscrewing the side plate, this is what I saw. The commutator was utterly black. Yikes.

Completely cleaned the commutator, and the brushes, while worn, didn't look that bad. Cleaned them though.

Put everything back together (got clever and held the plate with the brushes & springs already in it upside down, and with my other hand, put the PT truck on top of it, like a sandwich,) put the E7 on the tracks, and...nothing. Only the headlight came on, but the motor made no sound at all. :(

So, I took the truck back out and realized I put the brush plate on backwards (head hits table.) I then took the plate back off, and this time, I lost 1 of those cursed springs.................

I then went to my parts cart, found a junk PT motor, took it apart, and replaced the brushes and springs with those I had in my E7's PT, reassembled everything correctly, and tried again. Again, only the headlight worked and the motor showed no signs of life.

Desperate, I tried swapping out the brushes and springs from yet another junk PT motor I had, and that's when everything fell apart. The little plastic tab which holds the one brass contact piece on the other side of the plate broke off, and then the brass contact w. wire just wouldn't stay in place for me to add the spring and brush on the opposite side. With 3 hours wasted, I gave up. I'll either try re-soldering the wires on another spare plate with brass contact pieces, or just wait until I find a working 3-axle PT assembly in a junk shell and swap it out.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 28 2020 :  12:03:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, looks like that motor had put in some mileage. Interesting
narrative.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 28 2020 :  08:56:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
WE NEED TRAIN SHOWS

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 03 2020 :  10:18:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
COMING SOON

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 04 2020 :  9:48:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What a rake!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 13 2020 :  9:55:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
So...I recently found an auction, well 3 separate listings actually, all from the same Ebay seller, advertising a Tyco E7 undecorated diesel locomotive. Upon closer examination, I noticed that the shells were just spray-painted over with gray primer (which caused the Tyco Collector in me to cringe) but more importantly, I read in the description that the PowerTorque truck assembly was in perfect working order. I decided to bid on 1 listing, and got it for a good price.

I received it in a disassembled state, as you can see below. And, if you couldn't already figure out what I was interesting in buying a Tyco E7 truck assembly for, it was because I planned to install the PT assembly into my Burlington Northern E7 shell.

Installation was a breeze, and after putting my BN E7 back together, placing it on the rails, and turning on the power pack, the E7 started running perfectly. Presto.

So happy to now have a functioning Tyco Burlington Northern E7. Stay tuned for a video!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 13 2020 :  11:43:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Quite a set.
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: RETRO TYCO updates & My Tyco Collection Tour Topic Next Topic: My NEW N-Scale Layout  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000