Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Attic layout 2019- 2020
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Crummy transformer holding up the bus Topic Next Topic: Wrecking Crew on the PC
Page: of 2

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 06 2020 :  12:02:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
If you can get some of those Aristocraft steamers going, I'd
love that!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 06 2020 :  5:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
If you can get some of those Aristocraft steamers going, I'd
love that!

Originally posted by Chops124 - January 06 2020 :  12:02:51 AM

Sorry Chops, I got 2 4X8 sheets of 1/8" masonite today. I went home with 4 4x4 sheets because that's what fits in my vehicle. I've been laying out a 16 section roundhouse of 1880 using the masonite for the floor. This engine facility will be better than my first Depot on the Hudson. A Lot stronger built and the roundhouse will have doors that open and close. That will be the home of many of my Aristo Craft steam locomotives. I'm done for the day and looking to go out and recreate a little. Maybe my project will look like something in a few days. Right now it is just a 4x4 with lines cut into it.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 06 2020 :  11:44:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Keep up on the good work!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - January 07 2020 :  10:13:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
The new table is looking good Frank. Keep posting pics when you can.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 08 2020 :  11:17:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is where I am now with the roundhouse base completely cut out and marked for walls, tracks and turntable center. You can see how big it is and how locomotives fit. I need to stop now to get the mainlines done to the point of the bridge crossing. A close look says there will be no canal. Still a chance to do latter on after the layout is running. I have to add the corner angled addition and the point of the corner need a piece of table top.
Here are some photos.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 09 2020 07:12:54 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 08 2020 :  8:52:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! That is going to look awesome!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - January 08 2020 :  11:07:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
That is going to be one big roundhouse Frank.
Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 09 2020 :  06:42:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Yes Bill, it will be a big one. I really didn't think it would look or be so big. Well I don't have the windows, so that will hold up the building of the rear wall. Maybe at a train show I can find a big building with a lot of windows I could use. This building will have 29 windows, one locomotive door, and two single personal doors on the rear wall. The side walls will have 3 windows apice. The front will have 16 locomotive doors. The locomotive doors I always have had to make, the windows will need to be big and all the same. I
hope I can find them online or at a train show.
With some luck I find some.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 09 2020 :  07:40:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
More on the roundhouse.
The last one I made, I had no plan of how or what to do, of when to do it, only basic drawings. I know now that I made it wrong and must make the framing first. This roundhouse is a real one like the 1840 one I built. Both are very similar in that they both have rear curved walls, and a segmented front wall made of flat door sections with their framing this makes up the front wall. The framing along the side walls front to back, and the front to back wall stall dividing framing must be identical in height, length, and design as in real roundhouses. The framing will support the roof framing that will be above it. I will sit down and make all 17 at the same time.
Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 09 2020 09:57:56 AM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 09 2020 :  11:08:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks great Frank. With all the daily activities in Bergen Point there would have to be
at least three roundhouses to store the engines that visit the crown jewel of New Jersey.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 10 2020 :  06:37:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Richie, this is the third time I started to write this message. My activity has been centered on the layout with hopeful hunting for HObbyline car to add to my collection of them. This layout will have a roundhouse modeled after the one built by the Lehigh and Susquehanna and leased to the C.R.R. of N.J. Ashley shop. I'll have to take apart the 1840 shop to make the 1880 shop I am now trying to make. My new shop's roundhouse will have 16 stalls and it will be the only one. Their my be another small engine house close to the "Y" at Penn Haven. 1880 allows my Mantua/Tyco 4-4-0, 4-6-0, 4-8-0, and almost all my oldtimers to be used running small trains up, down, and around this layout. Those Aristo-Craft oldies will most definitely be seen going from Rockport to Penn Haven, Through the Ashley yards past and in for service at the Ashley shops. I am certain the Black Diamond pulled by LV #5 "The David Laury. will be a regular performer on this stage.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 10 2020 06:51:59 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 15 2020 :  08:17:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well after a collapse of the table because of small screws and a big heavy person on top of it I found out that I needed bigger and more screws holding it together.

After the table repair and the track repair I finisher the track to where the bridge will be.

Here is where i left of yesterday measuring the needed wood cuts.

frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 15 2020 :  10:43:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
If at first you don't succeed, try vice grips.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 29 2020 :  5:56:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Getting back to the layout.

frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 29 2020 :  6:07:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Now I have taken a good look at the roundhouse doors and have drawn up a few.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on January 29 2020 6:52:26 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 18 2020 :  06:13:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well i am stuck! My new swing bridge to allow access to the inside of the layout just isn't lining up. Being a main line that will have high speed passenger service this is unaccepted. I may have to redesign the bridge again. I can't have a duck under because I can no longer duck under but only crawl under. I'll try a sturder track surface.
frank
here is the bridge closed.

Here is the bridge half way open.

Here is the bridge completely open.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 19 2020 07:04:39 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 19 2020 :  12:58:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Lovely bridge, and yes, every swing access I've seen tends to have
some tiny margin of misalignment, exacerbated by temperature
and humidity. It sure doesn't take much.

Yours is a concept I've not seen to date. Maybe just a tiny tweak or
a tension latch might be all that is required.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 19 2020 :  06:39:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos and concept Frank. I am sure you will fix that annoying problem.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 19 2020 :  07:01:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

If the swing concept does not work there is another way.
Have the bridge move up and down using your hands.
Just an idea but I remember this concept in Massachusetts.

Not my photos.

With or without the towers the concept might be the solution.
Then again I am just guessing. Just an idea to think about.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - March 19 2020 :  08:22:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Wow, I have never seen a bridge like that before!
Edited by - BlaxlandAlex3 on March 19 2020 08:23:19 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 23 2020 :  7:01:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well today i can say the hard part of building a layout is done. The construction of the tables and and laying of the track. The tricky build of a swinging bridge is done. Now for the control panel making and the wiring of the track.
frank
flickr link for a small video.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/30431536@N03/49692380417/in/album-72157710242700546/

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 24 2020 :  03:17:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Looking good. Any chance you got video of those Arisocraft bicycle types?

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 02 2020 :  1:06:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff maybe later on today I can make one right now I did a drawing on my layout. I changed the Rockport name to Mine Hill to maybe incorporate a mine in the hill someday. I added the White Haven name tp the south on the yard and changed its name to Ashley yards. Allentown yard is just too far away to be practical. Ashley had a large yard and White Haven was south of their. It is all coming together.
frank
The layout drawing.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 02 2020 1:16:30 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 02 2020 :  9:42:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the new bridge that works.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 03 2020 :  08:57:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff here is the video I put in You tube just now. It is the best one with only 2 or 3 turns around the small loop, and it also ends in a derailment. I have done not the best of track work.
frank

My video in you-tube
https://youtu.be/RtOKqS9CGLE

toptrain

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - April 03 2020 :  09:18:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
That 4-2-2 (I think) locomotive is a model I'm not at all familiar with. Have a little book about the real single drive wheel locomotives here in the US, but the model is a new one to me!
The bouncy behavior of its passenger car at the derail has me wondering if car might be too light & needs a bit of weight added to me NMRA standards -- but ... that quickly becomes an issue with a single driver locomotive model!

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 03 2020 :  10:50:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thank you, Frank, I have been gnawing at the bone to see that Hi Wheeler
in action for a while now. Noisy, surging, rattling, just beautfiul. She must
have been the Bell of the Ball in its day. I don't know any manufacturer who
has made a decent attempt at those unique locomotives of the day when
wheel arragnements were subject o a varieity of schemes to provide '
better torque and speed. This is the first, and may be only time, I eill get to
see this rare collection running down the rails instead of being shelf queens., Great stuff, but a dying bree, glad I got to see oit here.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 04 2020 :  11:43:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff My work is the see you see old trains run.
frank

toptrain

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 04 2020 :  11:44:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
looking great!

hope to do this when I move & get crazy in the basement
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 05 2020 :  6:29:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the layout today in a new video I put in You tube.
frank

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_5nYwk6ufvQ

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 05 2020 7:26:02 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 05 2020 :  6:34:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Looks great Frank. I see you fixed the bridge problem.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 05 2020 :  7:34:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:

Looks great Frank. I see you fixed the bridge problem.

Originally posted by wks - April 05 2020 :  6:34:51 PM

Richie I posted the wrong video so I had to make another and get it into Youtube and then here. It all done now. And Richie the bridge is fine now.
frank
Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 05 2020 7:36:29 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 08 2020 :  08:46:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I have been making my control panel and I am up to wiring it and the track. I will need three push button DPDT switches unless I can use the reverse on the power pack efficiently. I would like to just reverse the roundhouse area with its own reversing switch, then also the turntable track could use a reversing switch. Last would be the Y reversal section. This panel is old school and not the type showing the track divided into block sections. That all looks nice but takes up too much space, that is something I have little of. This panel should last past the powering up of the layout using all that is seen in recent photos. Future planned changes like the Round House build with its 16 sections. Additions to the Ashley Shops, The rebuilding of the Y track at Penn Haven, and the change from a single mainline with bypass sidings to a 2 track mainline for more action on the layout. All this is coming and my little control panel should handle it all. Some of my track switches will need to be a switch controlled if my panel is located anywhere. These are just some things I need to think about.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 08 2020 2:35:40 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 09 2020 :  12:45:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
By Ashley Station before bridge. The Union Pacific "Canyon Clipper" is held at Ashley station waiting to cross Lehigh River Bridge.

The Clipper is entering the bridge.

The "Canyon Clipper" is seen crossing the Lehigh bridge to Mine Hill.

Now The Clipper is seen on the Mine Hill side.

THe Clipper is at Mine Hill Station

Now it is past the Mine Hill station and turning into the tunnel.

Here we are exiting the opposite side of the tunnel at Penn Haven

Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 11 2020 3:37:05 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - May 09 2020 :  5:42:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice to see your updates Frank. Hope everything is going well with you and your family.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 09 2020 :  10:14:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Sorry, looks like I completely misunderstood.

Your long trains of yesteryear are wonderful to look at.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 10 2020 6:13:30 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 10 2020 :  5:57:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff I don't think I complained about anything to do with the swinging gate bridge. The secret is to use a piano hinge. It makes a gate like this hard to screw up. Mine is working good now. I have been avoiding wiring up the layout because it is hard to be in two places at one time . Under the table to guide the wires through the holes and above the table to receive the wires and skin, shorten and solder them on. The answer is more beer. I am getting to be of the feeling that if you leave it alone long enough it will do it self. I am practical enough to know that that last statement is close to dumbest thing I have ever said. Sooner or later i will kick start myself and get this thing done.
Also the previous photo section on the UP "Canyon CLipper" is now expanded from 4 photos to 7 photos. Now from the Ashley station on exiting the tunnel at Penn Haven.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 12 2020 08:35:41 AM

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 11 2020 :  12:16:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Looking good, Frank!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Crummy transformer holding up the bus Topic Next Topic: Wrecking Crew on the PC  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000