Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 22 ]  [ Total: 22 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 The Haunted House on the Hill
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: New Haven Terminal Topic Next Topic: Clear Gorilla Glue for Water on Hart''s Mill  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 03 2019 :  12:43:34 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
This is one of my favorite structures on my railroad, The Vulcan Mansion....

Erected in 1890, the Vulcan Mansion was built by local factory owner Ebenezer Vulcan as a wedding gift for his second wife Sophie (his first wife, Eliza died under mysterious circumstances). Situated just across the railroad cut from his factory, Mr. Vulcan made sure he would never be too far away from his plant and his malingering employees, even when he was home tending to the big family he was planning on having with his beloved Sophie.

Sadly the Vulcan family fell victim to multiple personal tragedies while they lived in the house. First it took eight years of "trying" before Sophie conceived her first baby. Nine months later in 1898, joy turned to sorrow when Sophie died while giving birth to Cornelius, Ebenezer's first and only child. Cornelius grew up to become a handsome young man, heir to the Vulcan fortune and thus the most eligible bachelor in town. In 1918 the twenty year old Cornelius was to wed his childhood sweetheart Lindsay Sinclair but she died from influenza the day of the wedding. Five years later, tragedy struck Ebenezer's family again when Cornelius lost his head in an industrial accident while managing the plant. Bereft, the elder Vulcan lived alone in the empty home as a bitter recluse until his death a decade later.

Even worse, situated on a hill overlooking one of the most treacherous parts of the railroad's main line, the house stood witness to many train wrecks that occurred on the steep grade and sharp curve that runs through the cut.

After Ebenezer Vulcan died, the business and estate were both purchased by New York City financiers. The Vulcan Manufacturing company continues operation to this day making parts for the widget industry but the old mansion was quickly sold off in a surplus asset liquidation sale.

Several families attempted to make the old Vulcan Mansion home, but none stayed long claiming that the noise from the nearby railroad made the house uninhabitable. Local superstition however holds that the new inhabitants fled the mansion in terror because old man Ebenezer and his son Cornelius still inhabit the old house and that Death himself watches trains from the corner bedroom waiting for the next wreck to occur in the cut.

Paranormal researchers have investigated the old house and have photographic evidence of the hauntings at the Vulcan Mansion....

Ghostly lights appear in the darkened abandoned house.

The ghost of old man Ebenezer Vulcan is seen at the top of the stairs....

The headless phantom of Cornelius Vulcan is viewed in his old bedroom window...

Death himself pears out of the house waiting for another train accident...

PS: The structure is the "Bates Mansion" made by Polar Lights.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on February 03 2019 4:21:57 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 03 2019 :  1:15:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
cool
I thought it looked familiar

scary too hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 03 2019 :  9:08:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow! Interesting structure, Srenchin, and great background.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 04 2019 :  2:35:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
forgot to mention that the Munster's Mansion is in HO scale too
I have the Addam's Family House by Polar Lights still in the box too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - February 04 2019 :  8:46:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Beautiful work and great story. I love the faded coloring and landscaping.
There's a similar house in my area, but the residents are much more lively.

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 04 2019 :  11:22:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Gary B - February 04 2019 :  8:46:17 PM

I'm tempted to get another one of these kits and paint it as it would look in its hey day. Most people think of the Victorian era as drab and grey because all the photographs we have from that time are in black and white. In reality bright vibrant colors were in vogue during during the Victorian era and a nice house like the "Bates Mansion" would have been painted accordingly.

Edited by - Srenchin on February 04 2019 11:23:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 04 2019 :  11:26:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - February 04 2019 :  2:35:11 PM

I would like to see a picture of the Addam's Family house, care to share a picture of the box?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 05 2019 :  12:01:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

I would like to see a picture of the Addam's Family house, care to share a picture of the box?

Originally posted by Srenchin - February 04 2019 :  11:26:37 PM

this be the one I got
Pic from the web

this the one from the TV Show
Location does exist where the real one was but its a school track area now

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 07 2019 :  10:51:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by Srenchin - February 04 2019 :  11:26:37 PM

this be the one I got
Pic from the web

this the one from the TV Show
Location does exist where the real one was but its a school track area now

Originally posted by microbusss - February 05 2019 :  12:01:14 PM

Is the Addams family house HO scale too? If so I would like to see a picture of an assembled kit.

Gary B
Hudson

Posted - February 08 2019 :  10:30:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Yes, It's HO but not a very friendly kit to build. That frightening Lightning plastic is a pain. Here's mine, note the vines are hiding gaps.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 08 2019 :  8:16:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Yes, It's HO but not a very friendly kit to build. That frightening Lightning plastic is a pain. Here's mine, note the vines are hiding gaps.

Originally posted by Gary B - February 08 2019 :  10:30:39 AM

Thank you for posting a picture of this model Gary! This is the fist time I have ever seen an assembled example of this kit and you certainly did an excellent job! I am surprised that your kit was tough to build, the Bates Mansion kit on the other hand is very well engineered and I would say that it is one of the easiest plastic structures I have had the pleasure of assembling. I wonder why another kit marketed by the same company is so much more fussy to build? Considering that it is labeled as being appropriate for "age 8 to adult" you would think it should be an easy build. I also see that the detailing on the Addams Family house is considerably cruder than the Bates Mansion, this suggests that the tooling for the two kits came from different sources perhaps.

Edited by - Srenchin on February 08 2019 8:18:11 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 09 2019 :  01:47:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh here is the history on the TV house
https://21chesterplace.com/house-history/

Gary B
Hudson

Posted - February 09 2019 :  09:17:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Srenchin. (Scott, is it?) Yes the two kits are nowhere comparable. Aurora models which originally produced these kits was always inconsistent. Their monster kits where great, airplanes a mixed bag. Car kits pretty crude. I'm not sure how many structures other than than these two they made. Since the company bellied up and at least some of the molds were destroyed in a train crash shipping them to Monogram models, they have become very collectable. A host of other companies have re-released their kits and even created kits they thought Aurora should or would have produced if they stayed in business. Polar Lights is even a play on the Aurora name.
Master Of Plasticville

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 09 2019 :  11:52:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
So that is where the name "Polar Lights" comes from, very clever! Wait a minute, didn't Aurora also originally produce the pre-assembled "lighted" buildings that Tyco sold under their own band name....

Also, where can I find out more about this train wreck that destroyed some of Aurora's tooling?

Edited by - Srenchin on February 09 2019 11:59:12 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 09 2019 :  5:27:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well the Tyco Factory was the Aurotown School

I DO want the double island 76 station!

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - February 09 2019 :  9:23:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
well the Tyco Factory was the Aurotown School

I DO want the double island 76 station!

Originally posted by microbusss - February 09 2019 :  5:27:30 PM

That's right! I wonder what other HO products Aurora made?

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 10 2019 :  12:11:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Gary B - February 04 2019 :  8:46:17 PM

next time get a pic of the Texaco station please

did I mention that The Munster's House is in HO scale too?

Gary B
Hudson

Posted - March 18 2019 :  8:46:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
News Flash!

The Psycho House is being re-released as the 'House on the Hill'

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/The-House-on-the-Hill-reissue-from-Polar-LightsRound-2--PREORDER-RESERVATION_p_4447.html

The Addams Family House is being re-released as 'The Old Victorian'

https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Old-Victorian-reissue-from-Polar-LightsRound-2--PREORDER-RESERVATION-_p_4448.html

I thought you guys might want a head's up!

Master Of Plasticville
  Previous Topic: New Haven Terminal Topic Next Topic: Clear Gorilla Glue for Water on Hart''s Mill  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000