Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 maintenance tips, don't get a Chattanooga 0-8-0...
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Repair of OO Triang Rocket Topic Next Topic: FYI - What''s inside a Tyco gold powerpack  

ziplocBag
Switcher

Geoffrey1Avatar

Posted - January 31 2019 :  5:51:39 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ziplocBag to Buddylist
its at reliable as a bachmann track cleaning loco. seen so many of these at train shows because know one wants them! unless you want to do a rebuild, or just display the loco, don't buy it, has to be one of tyco's biggest failers.

just a maintenance tip, your struggle is now salved.

with older loco's, always research there problems and there performance before collecting them. many locos have how to's online to get them running reliable, in most cases it takes a lot of care, buying new parts, and making new parts or modifying parts. there is a Chattanooga upgrade page that i seen, and the efforts it takes to get one running without falling to pieces is about not worth doing.
also watch out for a few low cost new models. bachmann has been selling out some bad quality stuff in the last few years, i received a n scale loco with broken parts. also if its bachmann and it looks british, it is not ho as labled, its oo, and the construction of thomas is a maintenance nightmare, and its small n scale type motor is light and a bit crappy, and the engine has vary low traction, with no space to add good weight, even when you remove the moving eye parts. even of you could make it heavier, the motor wont take it, the loco's life as is is short, on top of it all, its not even scaled properly to even oo scale, it is quite tall and narrow, not a mod worthy loco, unless you want to just save the metal chassis and wheels, witch are descent.

so for all you knew to locomotive repair or even new to the hobby, its aways important to do your research, just because it looks good, doesn't mean it is good.

i have been fixing trains for a long time now, if you wish, you may message me for more advise or help
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11  ~  Member Since: January 29 2019  ~  Last Visit: September 21 2019 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 31 2019 :  8:33:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good to know. Lot of less than excellent locomotive stuff,
out there, both vintage and brand spanking new.

I replaced all the Tyco PT motors with the older, sturdy
MU2 motors. Two Tyco Sharks got custom milled
Model Power chassis with fly wheels.

Check out this vintage of a Tyco Chatanooga ad, note the
front driver is derailed. Great ad though: this is the
stuff that I love about Tyco.

https://youtu.be/YKHHnNT7h8I

Edited by - Chops124 on January 31 2019 8:34:06 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chawker12
Switcher

Steam

Posted - April 06 2019 :  3:04:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chawker12 to Buddylist
Thanks for the warning. Unfortunately, it came a little late for me. Or maybe I like challenges - not sure which. But I want to rebuild my 080 Clementine which is similar to the Chattanooga. Can you direct me to a spec diagram or directions I can refer too? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!
David Young
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: April 03 2019  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 07 2019 :  03:40:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
There are a number of DYI Tyco pancake motor repair videos out
there. I rebuilt a PT motor a while back, and it ran great...for about
three yards before bursting into gray smoke billowing out the windows
and portholes. Some guys, and this is probably on Youtube as well,
have replaced the rotors with CD ROM drive rotors with good result.
The additional issue I have with the PT motor is the crummy, fragile
pinion gear that is prone to slippage. Having said that, RP Model
Railroads of this site, runs a "Pure Tyco" layout and rarely seems to
have issue.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 08 2019 :  10:00:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, in terms of Tyco, I personally prefer the "Red Box Era" MU-2 style motors - from when Tyco made their train products in the USA. The motors are of higher quality and seem to last forever.

The PowerTorques on the other hand....most of them have a limited lifetime. I've had several PT motors pop the main drive "pinion" gear - recently my Chattanooga Steamer had this issue, and now is waiting on the sidelines until I can get some parts.

As Chops mentioned, PT motors are prone to smoking. HOWEVER, from my experience anyway, this does NOT mean the motor is completely burned out. Not too long ago, when I went to run my A-Team Shark on RETRO TYCO, it stopped working and gray smoke billowed out of the windows. A few weeks later, however, I put it back on the tracks and to my surprise, it worked!! Not sure if that was a fluke, but....

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Repair of OO Triang Rocket Topic Next Topic: FYI - What''s inside a Tyco gold powerpack  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000