Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Subway Pike
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: All Scale Rails Issue #26 2021 Topic Next Topic: Ephrata Valley RR 2021 Plans - Town&Building  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 18 2019 :  08:57:44 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

The PVC tube will the basis for a point-to-point layout featuring a Manhattan subway. The length
will be cut down to 6 feet, and a twenty inch portal will be cut away from the side to show a
platform, commuters, street musicians, etc. The train will be controlled by an auto reverse/pause
device.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 18 2019 :  3:25:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow!! Very interesting project - good luck Chops!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 01 2021 :  12:28:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Blargh. Or Blax it all.

After some tedious hours of carefully wiring up the infared sensors, last year, I found it didn't work.

https://youtu.be/dI5FAFpQl2U

The subway would not stop in center and would not travel to the far left end and then reverse, as it
was designed. Indeed it would go midway, stop, and eventually return. The guy in England, who sold
this thing eventually sent me this complicated email that he had done a software update, and
whoopsie, he forgot to send me a chip that I needed to plug in. Ach, that really was a pain in the
neck, especially since he never told me where this chip was supposed to go. He also sent out an extra
infared sensor, as he thought one of the six he sold me might be defective.

OK, so after a year of procrastination, I decide this is going to be the day, and I pull it all out (it is truly
amazing how the wires entangle themselves just from sitting in one place without being touched), blow
off the dust, and quickly determine that not one, but TWO of the infared sensors are bad, AND I have
no idea where the chip goes, and there are many places to attach it.

So, now I'd have to go back to this guy in England, who already appears to be struggling himself
with this DIY electronic project, and pay for more international shipping and hope that another sensor
doesn't quit on me, two so far have croaked.

You know what, I'm going to call it a day and put the components onto eBay and see if anyone bites.
Just decided I reached my limit with how much more time and money I'm going to throw at this
thing.

Some people like electronics and computers and wiring. I really don't. I find it a necessary headache. For the past couple of years I've debated whether to make Henley DCC, but then all I have to do is read some
DCC forums to remember, or to see, how much time and energy people have to give to the DCC gods
trying to troubleshoot why the locomotive won't run. It is an ENDLESS parade of try this, and try that, pat
yourself on the head and spin around three times. You know, just not for me. At least with Plain Jane DC
and horn hooks the stuff makes it around the layout.

When I was at the Club, there was this one guy who spent two hours trying to get the pantographs on
a GG1 to go up with remote DCC control while my Tyco GG1 spent the two hours lapping him.

Going to have to figure a new way if I want to power up this Subway Pike. You know, maybe I could
make like a subterranian shelf along the edge of Armadilloville...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Tyco/Mantua Rio Grande 4-8-0

Posted - February 01 2021 :  09:59:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
I like the underground armadilloville idea!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 01 2021 :  10:01:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Also I think bachman makes a reversing thing but of course being bachman it's crazy expensive
Edited by - Erik The Train Nerd on February 01 2021 10:02:46 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 556  ~  Member Since: December 26 2019  ~  Last Visit: February 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 01 2021 :  10:09:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I feel ya....hence why I will never get into DCC - for one thing, it is quite expensive, and I have more fun with classic trains that I would with DCC stuff. Horn Hooks for the win! lol

I agree with Erik, that underground Subway idea for Armadilloville would be pretty cool.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 01 2021 :  1:34:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist

you might lose your petticoat or see something worse on the subway!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 01 2021 :  2:00:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Also I think bachman makes a reversing thing but of course being bachman it's crazy expensive

Originally posted by Erik The Train Nerd - February 01 2021 :  10:01:05 AM

This was no bargain, plus international shipping, either. Worse since so many of the parts are turning up defective. The Bachmann thing doesn't allow for a center stop, so that's why I went this route.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 01 2021 :  10:18:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yep. Checked out some of those Bachmann Auto Reverse Loops.
I recall, now, that I went with this Heathcote thing because
it allowed a center stop, whereas the Bachmann thing only
stops at each end.

I wanted my subway to stop in the center. Well. What if I had just
moved the station to the stopped end? I never think of these
things until long after the train has left the station.

Well, I found the best deal I could and pulled the trigger on it.
I am going to try to sell this Heathcote thing on eBay and maybe
find an electronics geek who is happy to mess with this stuff.
I really don't want to deal with this guy who sounds like he
makes it in his garage.

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - February 06 2021 :  2:40:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Having worked for NYC Transit for a few years... mostly they use a square cut and cover where they dig down about 100' when the track is laid then they cover the hole. The new 2nd ave subway tunnel is built by a tunnel boring machine which uses a round tube. The PATH subway train also uses a tube the was built in the 1920's IIRC.
I have thought about building a subway layout. I don't know if the make a 4" clear tube, so you can see one side. I also considered running it under the table (layout).
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 06 2021 :  6:59:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Useful info. Got my first batch of a straight Bachmann reversing track in,
so hopefully things will get going soon.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 07 2021 :  1:51:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

The Bachmann Auto Reverse showed up today. Hope it works!

Update: works perfectly, five minutes to set up.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 07 2021 2:00:11 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 07 2021 :  3:25:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erik The Train Nerd
Hudson

Posted - February 07 2021 :  7:43:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erik The Train Nerd to Buddylist
Awesome!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 08 2021 :  07:15:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Cool!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 08 2021 :  11:50:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Cardboard is such an easy medium to use. I'll glue it in tighter so the platform reaches the lower edge of the door. Either paint a gray concrete, or will see if a free download of tile can be used. I don't well remember the floors of NYC subways, seem to remember a light color grimy concrete with suitable stripes to warn off passengers from getting too close.

A piece of scrap plastic transparency might add to the sense of looking through a window into this miniature subway.

Photographs help me to adjust the position of the brick wall paper. A third rail will be placed to the far side of the track.

From Google photos, it seems the third rail is a, well, rail! That's easy! Plenty of scrap track I can sacrifice for that job.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 09 2021 :  3:43:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Coming together nicely, very pleased to have discovered using scrap cardstock, so easy to
use for track inserts and platforms. Have to go in to work for a week, so probably won't get
much done until next Saturday.

The third rail was an easy install, and is barely visible behind the track rail.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 09 2021 3:44:05 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 09 2021 :  6:30:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
It's coming along, alright! Awesome!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 13 2021 :  7:13:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Working three different things today.

Gluing in these cardstock subway platforms. They may get an overlay of paper tile, for now they
are painted gray. The little structure on top is a Walther's Subway Entrance. For the stairs to descend
means I will have to care out a square hole through the PVC pipe, which is tough as nails. Not '
looking forward to that chore, and the clean up.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 13 2021 7:15:01 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 13 2021 :  9:39:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Certainly going for the realism Jeff. Good luck.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 13 2021 :  9:46:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Keep up the good work!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 14 2021 :  12:12:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:

Certainly going for the realism Jeff. Good luck.

Originally posted by wks - February 13 2021 :  9:39:36 PM

Yeah, I like to mix it up, Armadilloville being sort of off the rails, in general. Speaking of rails, it's
hard to see, but there is a third rail on the far side of the tracks. I am planning HO scale litter,
lots of commuters, I'll be looking forward to your expertise, WKS, as you are a veteran strap hanger!

Noooo, I think I will pass on the crazy guy shoving some innocent onto the tracks. Or Bernard Goetz.
For efficiently getting around this gridlocked city, nothing beats the subway. I have happy memories
of taking it all about, though it really requires, or in my day required, a thorough schooling how to
navigate this enormous system. Boston, Paris, and Washington, D.C. much easier to figure out.
Manhattan subway maps look like a bowl of convoluted spaghetti of many colors.

It might be noted that I had planned on this layout for some decades now, and it was WKS, a few
years ago, he gifted me a beautiful subway coach, seen above, that sparked me to get busy. I then
got a companion motorized coach, and they are just da bomb. I've been on those cars, with my Dad,
my Grandfather, back in the day, and later on in various trips in and through the Big Apple.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 14 2021 12:15:29 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  12:32:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
While trying different settings to print out brick, and what not, I now seemed to have altered the
Paint setting and cannot resize images to post. This is what I hate about computers. They end up
doing things that are almost impossible to reset. If I take it to a computer place, they will just
want to do a factory default reset and erase all my data. This is not good.

Used some correction tape to create white lines on subway platform, not pleased with the result so it
gave it a tiling of downloaded paper. Took a lot of trial and error to approximate 1/87. Configuring this
stuff on computer is not a straightforward process. as hoped, but it is close enough, and white line
looks pretty decent.

The actual line is supposed to be yellow, from what I can see, but in older subways it was probably
white, they weren't into florescent stand out colors so much, back then. A line was a line. Also printed
up some brick and tile, also a rather long process and a lot of ink to get it into the right size. Ended up
making it a screen saver, then printed it as a screen shot, and came out pretty good.

I kind of rushed to install the track, and I should have spray painted the subway exterior when it
was an empty pipe, that would have saved some time, but we're getting there.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 15 2021 5:04:43 PM

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - February 15 2021 :  4:37:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

While trying different settings to print out brick, and what not, I now seemed to have altered the Paint setting and cannot resize images to post.
Originally posted by Chops124 - February 15 2021 :  12:32:24 PM

I was just poking around in Paint, and it didn't seem to even have settings in the sense of ones you can set up to include or exclude features. On the three tabs across the top (File, Home and View) are you on File, perhaps. If so, you should just be able to click on the "Home" tab and be back in business.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  5:35:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, Shag, for the attempt. I relayed your message to the online tech support guy, and he said, no, that's
not it. He was checking out my computer by remote access.

Our last conversation was this:

3:29 PM Agent Jairam C.: Paint is not broken Jeffrey. The problem here is when you upload the file.
3:29 PM Agent Jairam C.: File was not completely uploaded or there could be something wrong with the site's server.

Is anyone else having trouble uploading images today? Could someone try to post an image and let me know if you have any issues?

The whole thing is so complicated, even the computer geeks are at a total loss. Usually they just want to upsell you a new computer or phone or tablet.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  6:24:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Going to run a test photo, below.

This is the image I was trying to post:

ctive Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/tyco/forum/uploadengine.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

Drat.

Let me try this image, random:

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  6:25:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Going to retake the picture. Maybe the file is broken when I took the
picture. The above picture I've used at least once. It went through fine.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 15 2021 :  6:41:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Going to try again. New pictures. Let's see if it takes. Man, computers run us, we don't run them.
If you've ever seen Stanley Kubrick's monumental sci fi film, "2001," you will know precisely what
I mean.

OK, then, this seems to be the issue: for whatever internal reason, the original picture, not shown
here, was a "broken link," apparently. One tiny glitch, and it doesn't work.

Incidentally, as a fan of paleontology, this is why I don't necessarily buy Darwin's Evolutionary Theory,
it just takes one tiny glitch and the whole house of cards falls down. Complex systems, whether computers,
or engineering, or Evolution, break down when error is introduced. Murphy's Law. That is why the simplest
things are the most reliable. And DCC and Kadee couplers can create more problems than they solve.

Anyways, back to trains. Apologies if you like DCC and Kadee couplers, not trying to start WW IV.

So, for the border stripe, correction tape worked pretty good. I ripped off a section of the platform when
I removed the masking tape and will have to go back and replace it, and paint around the edges. All this
would have been avoided if I had just been a little more patient about laying in the track. Measure twice,
cut once.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 15 2021 :  9:33:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks like your patience is paying off, though. Looking nice, Chops!

And I agree regarding evolution, and kadees & DCC. I will always be a DC train guy.

A-A-RON
Mikado

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - February 15 2021 :  9:59:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add A-A-RON to Buddylist
If you get the image into .jpg format, it will load much faster. You lose a little definition, but meh.
Aaron Anderson
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 617  ~  Member Since: March 14 2019  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 16 2021 :  10:40:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It's hard to get started, and often hard to develop a mental image of what it is I want to achieve, but once I get started, things take on a direction of their own and I just follow it. I literally stumbled over a nice as for milk and then found a few things in the scrap box. Fairly pleased with how it's coming along. Waiting on some more commuters and newspaper kiosk. The third rail shows up nicely in the brick tunnel photo. The electrical junction box is actual artifact of a screen shot I did to capture the brick in an enlarged format, the box is actually a desktop icon of the screen saver, but it looks about perfect. Going to put some cables running out of it.

The destination sign, while not particularly correct, has just the right "Mean Streets" look I wanted. The map board was supposed to have a clock face in the center, but it rumpled while trying to center it, and now looks like some sort of oily rag that got splattered on there.

Which is great- because now I'm going to take some scrap decals and scrumble them up to resemble litter and bits of trash in the track well.

As for the "oily rag," I will simply find a suitable replacement and replace the clock face.

Memory is composed of fleeting images, the scent of grease and oil, sounds, lights, and feelings. So rather than trying to pinpoint a particular site at a particular time, and replicate it, I am recreating the sensations of what I experienced in 1975, in a subway station, in NYC, with Dad, and this is the result, still in progress.

One sensation is seeing the sign that starkly proclaims: Jay Street, Boro Hall, Brooklyn, Hoyt Street. These placenames might as be Timbuktoo, Outer Mongolia, Shangri-la, and Machupicchu and arouse a certain sense of traveler's anxiety. What would those place names begin to mean except to a denizen who is intimately familiar with that geography. Finding that sign on the web, and then carefully reducing it to the proper scale, was a journey in itself. I love it when found items make their appearance and lend themselves to a project.

Edited by - Chops124 on February 16 2021 10:43:24 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 16 2021 :  1:21:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
How much realism? How much can reasonably obtained? What is a photo-real recreation? These are
questions the modeller has to ask when creating a scene. Everything, in the last analysis is a pixelization.
The human eye picks up light waves upon a blanket of pixel receptors called rods and cones. The brain
repackages it from an upside down pixelated image into something we perceive as continuous and
right side up. Every photograph, new tech, old predigital, is a series of tiny dots, pixels, connected in such a fashion as to be perceived as a whole.

I recall an HO scale bicycle scratch made, using human hair for spokes. The next level in realism would be
to insert individual rivets into an HO scale bicycle chain links. He didn't do that, he stopped with the
spokes. Why not create 1/87th tire stems, with the internal valve? The point is, how deep are you
willing to dive into a given project to create a satisfying, at least to yourself, representation of a time,
a place, an event?

It's all a question of personal preference, in the end, how deep you want to travel. I am not seeking
as much a precise replication as much as evoking a response, a memory, an experience, "oh, yeah, I
recognize that..."

Placing in the figure is an interesting exercise. If two people, or more, share a certain proximity, they
demonstrate a certain degree of connectedness. A mother holding her infant, two young women
waiting on the platform- they demonstrate a sort of "we're waiting for a train, now buzz off" vibe, versus
people gathering at the schedule board to find their train.

The melted clock face inspired a new way to make HO scale litter, it will be replaced as soon as
I can find a suitable replacement.

HO trash from decal scraps. More to follow.

Buy-buy-buy!

The subway entrance and stair case. This posed a problem, as the kit includes a stair case that
goes down about an inch, which would mate nicely with 3/4 inch plywood base, and show the
stairs traveling vertically. Walther's even suggests installing a tiny mirror at the base to give
the illusion of greater depth.

For the Subway Pike, this would mean having to carve out a square hole through this extremely
tough PVC, which is like rhinoceros hide, and then the stair well would be suspended in air
above the platform.

So it is enough to lay the stairs flat, suggesting the steps, and having people upon it, creating a
little depth of field. The little subway sign is slightly crooked, but moving it now risks tearing it
up, so I'll just leave it.

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - February 16 2021 :  2:58:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Very nicely done Chops,

Now for one of those guys that takes it to a whole 'nother (sub) Level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8hiy4oSJBg

Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 16 2021 :  8:52:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice attention to detail, Chops!!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 21 2021 :  2:15:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Added a little more garbage and oil stains to the road bed, today.
Slowly, but surely.

The video from Gary B. was interesting. Clearly the man has a
gift, also, he never seemed to be referring to any plans or drawings,
so it would seem he did it out of his head.

For all his mind boggling attention to the smallest of detail, there
was no overhead catenary, as suggested by the pantograph.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 21 2021 :  8:28:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Dedicated to my friend, WKS.

https://youtu.be/WNw3Rg9Rw9U

About 95% complete. Got an electrical conduit I want to install, some more commuters, whenever
they get here, and replace the clock face. Maybe install some interior lighting along the roof, depending
if I want to deal with that headache.

It measures about five feet by four inches, and will hang below the leading edge of Armodilloville. Very
light, I can pop it in the trunk to display at train shows, if those ever happen again.

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - February 21 2021 :  9:14:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Dedicated to my friend WKS.

About 95% complete. Got an electrical conduit I want to install, some more commuters, whenever
they get here, and replace the clock face. Maybe install some interior lighting along the roof, depending
if I want to deal with that headache.

It measures about five feet by four inches, and will hang below the leading edge of Armodilloville. Very
light, I can pop it in the trunk to display at train shows, if those ever happen again.

Originally posted by Chops124 on February 21 2021 at 8:28 PM.

Very interesting set up of a railroad which is familiar to me.
Reminds me of the shuttle subway lines from the Big Apple.
Well done Jeff.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 21 2021 :  10:18:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice, Chops! Great to see it in action, and your attention to detail really paid off. Great work.

Gary B
Hudson

Posted - February 22 2021 :  09:17:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Well done Chops! I have a line that on one end is an elevated line, the other a streetcar. In between it enters a small back room and I've been thinking about making that area a subway section. When I do I will be referencing your work.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 22 2021 :  11:41:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I look forward to seeing it, Gary. I recall some of your work was quite reminiscent of a
Edward Hopper painting, this will be great stuff. If you decide to make it live, I have had
a great experience with this Bachmann Auto Reverser.

Vending machines came in today, and they add a little more texture to the scene:

For those of you younger guys, cigarettes, even cigars, were often sold in vending machines
like candy. In this case, lung candy. Man, in those days before no smoking inside, there was
smoking everywhere- theatres, even hospitals, buses, subways, in the office I worked in I
thought I'd get miner's lung from all the smoke from my coworkers who all smoked like Alco's.

Gary B
Hudson

Posted - February 23 2021 :  09:09:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Chops, I like the vending machines. 3D printed? My line will be in backroom on an existing track so no auto reverse. I do have the Bachmann set up I drag out at Christmas. I see it at some point becoming part of a more permanent layout.
Master Of Plasticville

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 23 2021 :  3:15:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
They might have been, it is the sort of project that lends itself to
that technology. Not sure about the fascia they came with.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 23 2021 :  5:41:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
The vending machines look great and add to the realistic details! Nice!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 01 2021 :  3:21:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Installed the Subway Pike underneath Armadilloville, stays out of harm's way until it goes to a model train show.
Added some more commuters and a hot dog guy.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 01 2021 :  9:37:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice!

Gary B
Hudson

Posted - March 02 2021 :  10:00:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Tubular
Master Of Plasticville
  Previous Topic: All Scale Rails Issue #26 2021 Topic Next Topic: Ephrata Valley RR 2021 Plans - Town&Building  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.5 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000