Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Modeling Mud and Dirt with Dry Pigments
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Kitty litty Topic Next Topic: Model Railroading with Legos  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 22 2018 :  12:50:54 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Why is it that some of the simplest things on the planet are the hardest to reproduce in miniature? Consider the most basic ground cover, plain old dirt and mud. Up until just recently if I wanted to model raw dirt on my layout I would use natural silt, how can you go wrong with the real thing; right?

Well in my experience real dirt just doesn't look real when placed on a layout. To me the color of real dirt is too dull and grey to look convincing plus the texture of even the finest soils is still too coarse to look realistic.

Then, one day while browsing the shelves of a local art supply store I discovered Gamblin dry pigments. I thought the colors looked promising so I picked up some earth toned colors to try out on my pike.

To my surprise, this stuff not only produces excellent looking mud, dirt, and silt effects but is SUPER easy to use. All you have to do is dry brush or sprinkle this powder where you want some bare earth and then set it with an Alcohol spray.

The following photos shows how I used these pigments to reproduce earth effects on my layout....

1.) The classic "Before" photo....

2.) Application by sprinkling....

3.) Application by dry brushing...

4.) Blending different colors...

5.) Wet the pigment with an Alcohol spray...

6.) Add some ground foam grass cover...

7.) After everything drys, enjoy the new look!!!

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 22 2018 :  4:20:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Very nice! What are you using as a bonding agent?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 22 2018 :  6:55:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great Craftsmanship!!! Looks quite realistic.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/

Edited by - RP model railroads on June 22 2018 6:56:27 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Brian4321
Hudson

Gilbert HO

Posted - June 22 2018 :  11:53:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Brian4321 to Buddylist
Excellent weathering of the ground, the culverts and bridge supports.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 510  ~  Member Since: February 18 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 23 2018 :  07:28:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice! What are you using as a bonding agent?

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - June 22 2018 :  4:20:23 PM

The isopropyl alcohol spray appears to all you need to bond the pigments to the layout's surface.

Edited by - Srenchin on June 23 2018 07:32:08 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - June 23 2018 :  11:45:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
You've discovered zip-texturing!

Well, mostly. Zip texturing used dry plaster mixed with dry colors. The plaster was the bonding agent and misted water stuck it all down.

The funny thing, this is the first time I've seen zip texturing depicted in nice rich color, and you know, it looks good! Not sure why it sort of faded away as a technique, looking at those photos...that's some good looking ground!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 24 2018 :  03:17:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Ah, those are the pigments used by artists to make their own oil paints. That means that the
alcohol is acting like the linseed oil in the artists pre-mixed paints. Never thought of trying that
for landscaping a layout. Thanks for the suggestion.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 25 2018 :  7:53:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Art supply stores are a great place for model railroaders to explore, besides the obvious things like paint brushes and paints there are all sorts of other products that may be useful for building a model railroad. If you have an art store near you I highly recommend that you check it out!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Kitty litty Topic Next Topic: Model Railroading with Legos  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000