Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 AHM Hustler - Hershey re-power project
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: pointless post Topic Next Topic: Vintage AHM, Life Like and some Tyco  

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 09 2018 :  2:04:41 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I had put a decoder into one of those gawdawful chassis's with the plastic encased motors, it was noisy and whiny. While looking through the trains in my office at work, I found another Hustler by AHM with the smaller metal can motor. Ran smooth, fairly quiet...I wonder if the shell would work? I brought the Hershey engine to my office this week, and lo and behold, a perfect swap! Same type screw hold-down, but the newer chassis needed a longer self-tapping screw, so I rummaged at work and found something to use. Installed the original decoder from the old chassis into the new Friday night, and it's ready for testing at my train shop Sunday. I really want to start running my Hustler collection more often, but not as a Sanka coffee grinder! . Got tired of that real quick. This newer chassis should perform better and quieter I hope. Now I need to put some couplers on the new chassis, both were missing.
ON a side deal, I just installed some new metal wheels on the Tootsie Roll boxcarss, so they won't be bumping over the ties anymore with those horrid pizza cutter plastic flanged wheels. Ew! Another consist being ungraded for show duty. I don't mind running "toy quality" trains, as long as they perform to a reasonable standard of operation. Clattery motors and bumpy rolling stock does not qualify !

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 09 2018 :  5:07:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great Hershey's car!!! This would look great hauling Tyco's awesome Hershey reefers in a string....or perhaps the Reese's Pieces hoppers by Bachmann.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 09 2018 :  7:39:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
Great Hershey's car!!! This would look great hauling Tyco's awesome Hershey reefers in a string....or perhaps the Reese's Pieces hoppers by Bachmann.

Originally posted by RP model railroads - June 09 2018 :  5:07:50 PM

I've got a bit of everything - Tyco Hershey boxcars, Hershey tankers, one Reeses gon, Powerhouse boxcars, Mars candy. Basically I'm going to have two different trains, my big SD70 Hershey's engine will putt the modern cars, and my little Hustler will pull the older Snickers, Mars, etc wood-side boxcars. That's the plan, anyway.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 09 2018 :  7:49:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Neat! Please post a video of this action, once you film it, please.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 10 2018 :  01:58:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ditto, ditto!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 10 2018 :  8:04:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
No vid yet, but some still pictures.

Jerry

Didn't get any pics of the Hershey Hustler, sadly. I tried to get the decoder to work in it today at the train shop, but the chassis was giving me fits. It would NOT read it. I finally stuck the decoder into an MTH decoder tester/reader, and it showed it was fine. So I think my axle contacts are not working properly. Drat! Will work on the Hustler this week.

Jerry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 10 2018 :  9:16:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice Shots!!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 10 2018 :  10:29:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
7up boxcar! ARRGGHH!!!
need that one to go with the Tyco 7up building I wants
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - June 11 2018 :  9:47:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
7up boxcar! ARRGGHH!!!
need that one to go with the Tyco 7up building I wants

Originally posted by microbusss - June 10 2018 :  10:29:48 PM

Ha, ha, luckily I DO have both! Here's a picture of my stairwell layout ( a few years ago, more populated now ), with the 7-Up building in the background.

Jerry

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 12 2018 :  12:25:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I like that small, focused stairwell layout. Same concept as
what Shark Master does. Like the compressed airfield.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: pointless post Topic Next Topic: Vintage AHM, Life Like and some Tyco  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.27 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000