Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Customizing & Kitbashing
 1841 NJRR&TCo. Jersey City Depot
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The latest finished project! Cary lead body FT Topic Next Topic: Bowser Clinchfield Challenger Build
Page: of 2

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 20 2018 :  10:59:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
post 52

quote:
quote:
Well Don and Jeff, it would seem that like flies to carcisuses, Iron works and founders were appearing in Jersey city.
frank

Originally posted by toptrain - June 07 2018 :  09:53:51 AM

I wonder what this area looks like NOW! hehe

Originally posted by microbusss - June 19 2018 :  5:03:03 PM

Your synopsis of the account of building the railroad is astonishing. I think it would have
broken or otherwise defeated the normal person.

An image of Mercer Street.

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:53:26 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 21 2018 :  08:06:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Post 53

** The roundhouse back wall goes up
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:53:57 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - June 21 2018 :  09:31:55 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
Really fantastic build thread Frank!
Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 21 2018 :  1:58:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
post 55

** Thanks Sean, I hope it keeps on the way its been.
* Here the wall with its windows and door.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:54:28 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 21 2018 :  5:52:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 21 2018 :  6:44:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome craftsmanship!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 24 2018 :  7:51:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Post 58

* I have the front wall with doors drawn .I will be trying to find something other than fluid ink to drawover the lines on the doors. When I paint over them with a thin paint wash the lines still should show through the colored wash. I'll be doing some testing to see if this can happen.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 25 2018 07:55:07 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 25 2018 :  08:44:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Post 59, 3 photos.

* Here I have placed the front wall in position. aligning it to the stall openings. It is almost perfect.
frank

toptrain

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 25 2018 :  9:57:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WHOA
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 28 2018 :  12:52:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
** Well I ordered 1/32" L girder in 1 foot lengths. I should receive it in a week. Each hinge will almost be 1/2" long. They would look better 3/4" long. We will see how good a hinge maker I am. I never made a HO scale door hinge before. At a height about 4 scale from the surface I'll put grips on each door to help with opening the doors. The inside of the doors will have 3 horizontal wood strips spaced even behind the hinges.

* I have the strip of doors all painted on both sides. Going down the basement now to see how it is.

** Edit 7:30 PM. The strip on doors look good. The doors will wait for awhile. I can start my roof framing on the Loco manufactory. I spent 5 hours today removing trach and roadbed from my attic layout. I have a little more to do to remove the rest of the Track and road bed. Maybe 2 to 3 more hours. Then I want to paint the top surfaces of the tables again. I get that done tomorrow, then go out for a few beers.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 28 2018 7:49:26 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 03 2018 :  08:54:25 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Change of work area from basement to Attic. I removed my old layout but kept the tables to use for modeling projects. In the 90 + degree heat we've been having here,moving up to a air conditioned attic works for me. I finally got everything i need plus the project moved to where I can better work on it. There is enough room and table space to layout out the entire depot. I can't do the distance completely in scale. When the actual length is almost 1000' from the west on Washington street to the Hudson River ferry, I have to condense the distance between structures. There are no views of the buildings along the street sides, and between the railroad structures that would allow me to model them so removing all this empty space is practical.
* That dorama centers on two long straight tracks extending the distance mentioned. It will include the combined maintenance and loco assembly building, the car maintenance building, the large train shed and the head house. If I am still functioning the Ferry terminal with its wharfs. I have seen sketches of two of the ferries that the NJRR used. Both are side wheelers with exposed walking beam drives, the Jersey City., and the “Arresscom”. I have no idea or can find out what the name of the second ferry means or represents. I would like to know it. The New Jersey Railroad seems to like this name for they used a very similar version of it on a locomotive built for them by Rogers of Patterson in 1837. It was the first locomotive built for them by Rogers. The name is “Arresseoh”. So now there are two names of NJRR equipment I have no idea what they mean." Arresscom and Arresseoh ".
* Well so much for now.

Frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 03 2018 3:04:21 PM

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 03 2018 :  12:16:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Arresseoh may be the name of an Indian tribe.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 04 2018 :  07:46:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Well Barry you could be right. Arresscom and Arressoeh could also could be Indian words for something. Or Dutch, French, or another language. I don't know!
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 04 2018 :  07:59:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Well the move to the Attic is complete. I have set up the roundhouse on the table that had my old turntable on it. This table is about 15 feet long. I have a footprint of the Depot down the far end.
frank

A view of the completed Locomotive depot Building. (edit added 21-22-18)

This is the Car Manufactory building (edit added 12-22-18)

This view shows the footprint of the long three track train shed, and the retangular head house.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 22 2018 11:22:39 PM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 04 2018 :  08:41:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Here's another view of the depot footprint. It is made out of card stock. I will make a footprint of plywood, to use a base for the building.
frank

toptrain

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - July 04 2018 :  5:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
That's gonna be a nice little spread there Frank.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 05 2018 :  09:35:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Barry, it goes step by step. Slow and boring.
* Here is a new 40' turntable i made a little while ago, with my period locomotives I have for this dorama. 40 foot is the size shown on the HO scale street drawing of the 1848 map.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 05 2018 8:22:02 PM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - July 05 2018 :  7:50:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Very interesting concept Frank. Will miss the layout with your videos and photos.
I am sure that you will have many rewards with this new diorama you are creating.

Am curious of where you will run your vast train collection in the meantime.
I know you enjoy exercising your locomotives on those vast loops.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 05 2018 :  9:01:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* Richie, I have dreamed up a way to use some of the steamers in my collection by making a ring that surrounds the the small 40' turntable with a larger possible 65' turntable. That will bring me up to my small 2-8-0's. A far fetched plain with some wayout engineering that may have been done. Why should i be the one to manufacture a addition to a smaller turntable, saving the cost of a total replacement, and keeping the smaller 40' turntable operational. This little trick could have saved these old original roads a good deal of money. Someone Else must of thought of it.
frank

toptrain

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 22 2018 :  6:39:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Nice work so far. Takes a lot of patience to build. Look forward to more photos.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 22 2018 :  6:41:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
*For all purposes I completed this project the last week in October.
** This 1940 depot was lost to time and now it has but one person alive that can say the "I know what it looks like". though I never saw it. Yep me. I have share this with people on four on line locations. This is the fifth. Mainly because i didn't know of its return till minutes ago.
* Well here is few photos of it when I displayed it at my Jersey Central Railroad Historical Society and got two tables at the last "New York Society of Model Engineers" train show.
*** I hope you like them.
frank

8 it will take a few minutes for i have to shrink some photos.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on August 21 2021 07:22:37 AM

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - December 22 2018 :  7:48:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Wow! The roundhouse and depot look fantastic.

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 22 2018 :  11:02:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Wow! The roundhouse and depot look fantastic.

Originally posted by Bamos - December 22 2018 :  7:48:50 PM

Bill thank you for the nice comment but I built it and I know where all the mistakes are. This by no means is museum quality as a historic representation should be. This is close to the best I can do which still would not be good enough. My feeling about the whole project is that because there is so little real information on the height measurements and the type construction and the color of the structures this is probably is a decent representation of this first railroad depot on the Hudson. Also being I and no one else has made this depot in miniature it is the only one and so the best so far. I do hope that a talented modeler with funds for proper material and the tools to shape what is necessary in the building of this Depot gets to see and be interested in building this lost to history Depot on the Hudson.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 23 2018 :  06:47:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A real one off, magnificent work.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 23 2018 :  9:04:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Toptrain, incredible craftsmanship!! Well Done.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 25 2018 :  6:33:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Robert, Jeff thanks for the kind words.
frank

toptrain

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 25 2018 :  6:37:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is my 1830's loco's and passenger cars. With the passenger cars I have at least 2 more of each type except for the De Witt Clinton. What you see is all I have.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on December 25 2018 6:42:03 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 25 2018 :  9:25:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
the 2 I wants is the John Bull & The Rocket hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 25 2018 :  9:48:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Some nice complex with the terminal station and roundhouse Frank.
Does resemble those early stations especially in the Northeast.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 26 2018 :  10:01:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Whoa - cool vintage steamers, toptrain!! and, they fit the roundhouse model perfectly.

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - January 13 2019 :  7:29:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
Top notch work Frank... That must be a really tedious effort.

Just wait until NJ Transit takes over the property....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - January 23 2019 :  06:55:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I finally found where the heck I put this post. You all have been very nice in you posts and I really do appreciate it. It isn't often that one can say they are a part of a small group alive now that has seen this lost in history Railroad Depot.
frank

toptrain

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 26 2019 :  8:34:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice to see the First Gen again, not to many of them out there.
Frank, I am taking you up on the suggestion of a Roman Victory
Arch. I have this Hornby viaduct piece lying about, now will
stick some Roman statuary on it, and voila! I hope.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 29 2019 :  06:39:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Jeff thanks for looking back and the nice comment. Now a lot of people have heard of the little pioneer New Jersey Railroad that built the first Depot (Terminal) on the Hudson River that wasn't so little.
Many Thanks to the New Jersey Railroad and Transportation Company for what they did in creating the New York to Philadelphia Rail link that mostly remains today in exactly the same place as they the NJRR&TCo, built it.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 22 2021 06:39:20 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 22 2021 :  07:31:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is the Second Depot on the Hudson (North) River. The New Jersey Railroad opened this terminal in 1857.
frank

A close up view showing the railroads name on their passenger cars.

An interior view show the cavernous enterior. from April 18, 1861.

1841 description of new depot

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on May 22 2021 08:55:47 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 23 2021 :  12:39:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Brilliant back story. These cuttings touch on a time and a place when the world was a very different place, and the technology of railways was in its infancy, but revolutionizing how people lived. Prior to this no one traveled faster than a horse, if you could afford one, otherwise you walked or took a sailboat down the coast. Up until the time of Frank's project, rivers and oceans were the through fares for most heavy cartage.

BTW, there is a Trix Der Adler set up for sale on FeeBay. One has an ask of about 1K, it is a commemorative set (big whoop) and the other, nearly identical looks to be a lightly used set, of which RP tells me is Trix, and thus DC. I've purchased a number of Spanish pieces from this fellow, and found him quite receptive to half off offers- it would appear he wants to move the stuff, not hang on for every penny.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 22 2021 :  6:29:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Fascinating backstory, and a work out art.
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: The latest finished project! Cary lead body FT Topic Next Topic: Bowser Clinchfield Challenger Build  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000