Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 Tyco never did make a tunnel, right?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Another Q: Regarding Tyco Gantry Crane Topic Next Topic: Unusual US-1 Junctions  

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 01 2018 :  7:01:53 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Just to confirm, Tyco never did make a tunnel for model railroads....did they?????
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator 

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - May 01 2018 :  7:15:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Actually they did:
http://tycotrain.tripod.com/tycotrainsredboxaccessories/id13.html

scroll towards the bottom
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 01 2018 :  9:04:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
WHOA!!! I DID NOT KNOW THAT!

Thank you so much, BnsfIA! I will keep my eyes PEELED for that Tunnel.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 01 2018 :  9:12:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Yep they did HAD ONE too it was two Styrofoam halves that were decorated

Believe it was made to 1975

Edited by - thesiding on May 01 2018 9:13:16 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 01 2018 :  9:30:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome!! I'm learning more and more about Tyco with the RETRO TYCO project, so all of this info is certainly appreciated.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2018 :  03:01:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That really is remarkable. I KNOW I seen that tunnel, and
perhaps it was at the Model Train Club, in a box, in the
back somewhere. I thought it was a Marx, or even some
S scale thing, and didn't pay it much notice. I will give
a good hard look for it on Thursday and see if it pops
up again. I have an idea who might own it, and if
I can find it, I'll ask if he wants to let it go- and
see if it really is a Tyco, or some other maker.

Indeed, my first guess was that Tyco did NOT
make a tunnel, so this is also an education for
me!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 02 2018 :  07:28:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Awesome Chops!! Yes, that would be great if you could please check.

The only thing I am wondering is, will I be able to fit it on RETRO TYCO? I see the tunnel is made for a straight track, however, can it cover a curve too?? Probably not.....

Edited by - RP model railroads on May 02 2018 07:29:49 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2018 :  12:17:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thus is the problem of Tycoheads everywhere. I am struggling to
fit a vintage Twin Peaks AND a Life Like mountain.

Among other things, it soon became evident that
extended pantographs will not clear the Twin Peaks
Tunnel.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - May 02 2018 :  1:50:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
It is about ten inches long he opening is about three inches wide and about four inches high only straight

And AGAIN Made of styrofoam
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 02 2018 :  7:28:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ah, thanks for the dimensions, thesiding -- I will have to check on RETRO TYCO.....

Chops, yes, that is indeed the model railroader's plight.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2018 :  9:29:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Styrofoam??? I only glanced at the tunnel in question, and that
about a week or two ago. It sure looked a lot like the tunnel
shown here, but my impression of the thing I saw, whatever
manufacture it might be, that it was metal, like tinplate.

I shall check on this tomorrow and get back to ya'll.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 02 2018 9:30:37 PM

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - May 02 2018 :  10:03:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Styrofoam??? I only glanced at the tunnel in question, and that
about a week or two ago. It sure looked a lot like the tunnel
shown here, but my impression of the thing I saw, whatever
manufacture it might be, that it was metal, like tinplate.

I shall check on this tomorrow and get back to ya'll.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 02 2018 :  9:29:58 PM

AHH that pains me. I've seen this same tunnel and have no idea who made it
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 04 2018 :  12:56:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So, I went to the Model Train Club last night and found the tunnel
that I thought resembled the one posted by RealBNSFIA, it turned
out to be an old preward Lionel piece, made of tinplate. Sorry, RP.
. It did look a lot like the Tyco Tunnel, bo be sure, but bigger,
and was mostly brown- no scenic add-ons.

One of my favorite tunnels was brought to my attention by Microbusss,
a vintage Twin Peaks tunnel. To my astonishment, this fragile piece
was readily available on eBay and I bagged one for $10. Outrageously
cheezy: it fits Tyco perfectly. For those of you too young to remember,
"Twin Peaks" was a rather popular TV series in the early 90's (?) I
never watched it, but everyone was gah-gah over it at the time.
One of its gimmicks was that it was deliberately plotless. That was
supposed to be cool?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 04 2018 :  2:58:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Okay, I understand.....the problem is that because I want to remain purely Tyco, I really do not want to use a Life-Like tunnel. So far, I have been faithful to my plan to remain solely Tyco (except for trackage, everything is Tyco.)

In regards to a tunnel, I don't think one would even fit on RETRO TYCO, unless it was a corner-curve one.

What do you all think? Because my track is not 100% Tyco, I could classify the tunnel as part of the trackage and allow myself to use something non-Tyco...............But, I really don't know.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - May 04 2018 :  4:52:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
You don't have to fix everything down. You could swap accessories in the same place. That way you get more variety AND more Tyco.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 04 2018 :  5:39:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
LOL, all the track has been hot-glued down already.

However, because hot glue is a durable, but easily-removable affixer - I can also pry up the track, remove the glue, add an accessory/alter the track, and hot glue it back down.

Previous Topic: Another Q: Regarding Tyco Gantry Crane Topic Next Topic: Unusual US-1 Junctions  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000