Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 15 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 New house layout!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future Topic Next Topic: Henley: Britain in OO
Page: of 7

59Chevy
Big Six

Posted - January 28 2021 :  4:31:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add 59Chevy to Buddylist
Thank you!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 293  ~  Member Since: January 17 2010  ~  Last Visit: September 29 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 30 2021 :  8:37:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
An EL, how cool is that!

Originally posted by Chops124 - January 27 2021 :  9:33:00 PM

Yep, it was a neat idea! Life-Like even made a couple of train sets utilizing that, with special Power-Loc piers to create an elevated oval...

This was a pretty nifty concept for a train set, not just the way it included two trains with their own track circuits, but how one of them could be an elevated railway, and even included the police and fire station building kits alongside the usual autos, signs and poles as a fun way for the young aspiring hobbyist to get started in coming up with a city for their trains to run around.

There was also this QVC-exclusive set, the City Express, which was similar but had a Union Pacific freight train instead of Santa Fe, bigger ovals of track, and in addition to the commuter station, police and fire station building kits, it also included the Belvedere Hotel and International Oil Co. building kits, SceneMaster used car lot, the flashing light storage tank, the bi-level auto carrier car for the freight train, the usual autos and signs and poles, and the landscaping materials often found in Life-Like's store-exclusive train sets, allowing one to make a very nice model railroad layout as pictured, with expansion possibilities (they even sold an add-on pack including the Downtown Business Center, Mt. Vernon Manufacturing Co. and Town Church building kits, operating dual crossing gate, SceneMaster construction site kit, dump trucks and street lights, and interior lighting kits for the three included buildings; though you could also add a passing siding to the freight train oval of track or whatever.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 31 2021 :  03:55:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that really is on the level of Mega Cool.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 21 2021 :  12:19:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Here are some more updates…

I recently added an A.H.M. gondola and Life-Like container flatcar to my main freight consist, just to vary things up a bit. The pic also shows a TYCO piggyback trailer parked at the loader/unloader.

For a while I pulled out my Bachmann Bluetooth-equipped BNSF GP35 locomotive for my little work train consisting of the 70s TYCO crane car and boom tender.

The main freight being pulled by my Walthers Trainline BNSF Dash 8-40BWs. Unfortunately on the Fakebonnet (533) one of the pickup wires came disconnected from the truck, so for now it's out of commission until I can solder it back on (ugh!)

The TYCO operating boxcar in action, once again.

The Amtrak local approaching the Arlee Station, with the Model Power crossing signals flashing to alert motorists.

The main freight consist for much of this month, on the outer loop of the layout.

I even put together a second smaller freight train to run alongside the main freight and the Amtrak local! Here the freight is getting logs from the Life-Like logging mill…

The smaller freight pulling out of the logging mill siding and preparing to hook back up to the caboose.

Both trains running alongside each other in a layout overview, before the BNSF Fakebonnet began to have the problem I mentioned.
So for the time being, I put my Bachmann BNSF GP40s back in front of the main freight and had my Mantua/TYCO DCC-equipped Santa Fe GP20 pull the smaller freight.

Edited by - wiley209 on February 21 2021 12:22:06 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 21 2021 :  12:32:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Dramatic consists. Very nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 21 2021 :  3:03:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Cool update.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 14 2021 :  1:42:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, now that it's March, it's transitioning from winter to spring on my train layout!

Overview with much of the snow having melted.

A very simple grade crossing in the rail yard so vehicles can access the log dump and coal tipple bins from this side.

There's still bits of the "snow" ground cover that I left intact for now to represent melting snow, alongside the barren trees still being in place.

A downside to having a train station next to a railroad crossing is the line of vehicles waiting for the train to pull out so they can continue across the tracks! (Then again, most of my crossings are along the edges of the layout.)

The old Life-Like apple trees in the orchard were getting ratty-looking, so I bought "new" ones to take their place, as if to rejuvenate the orchard. I also moved the Plasticville picket fence a bit so that the orchard is in the same fenced area as the farmhouse and vegetable garden.

I put my Woodland Scenics hobo figures in my TYCO CP Rail 40' boxcar! Here they are riding past some other fellow hoboes…

I put a clean-up crew around the Life-Like coal tipple; an idea I found in one of Life-Like's Basics for Beginners 32-page booklets included with their train sets. I also relocating the uncoupling magnet to a better spot so that the freight cars uncouple better when I want to load and/or unload cargo in the rail yard.

Now that spring's coming, I'm doing a bit of touch-up landscaping to areas where grass may have been accidentally rubbed or vacuumed off. Compare this shot to the third picture back further up…

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 14 2021 :  2:38:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice upgrades. Like melting snow effect, I've never seen that done before.
Hobo's add much character. The two tone grass is very effective. Coal tipple, check, and the level crossing is a nice addition.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 14 2021 :  8:32:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lookin' good!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 31 2021 :  7:44:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
March is ending, and with it comes some more new pics of my train layout…

The Skyview Drive-In Theater is undergoing some minor repairs and touch-ups for when it reopens.

Both the main BNSF freight and the Amtrak local passing through the railroad crossings located near the Operation Lifesaver billboard! (An Athearn product.)

Lovers' Lane is open again, now that the snow has melted, and the cops are back on patrol there.

Now the Skyview Drive-In is open again, and already getting busy!

This guy on the right watch the movies on the drive-in screen from his backyard, but it'll be hard to hear the movie without one of those speakers…

Just some crewmen in the railroad yard spurs.

Trying out having my Walthers Mainline Amtrak F40PH pull my older TYCO and Life-Like Amtrak 72' streamlined cars, to resemble an older Amtrak long-distance overnight passenger train passing through the town.

Figured I'd get a shot of the train with the TYCO cars stopping at the TYCO Arlee Station.

The BNSF freight unloads crates from the TYCO Operating Boxcar as the Amtrak local passes by (with the Amfleet cars back on.)

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 31 2021 :  8:40:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great updates!

By the way, I forget if anyone ever asked this before, but does your layout have a name?

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 01 2021 :  12:52:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
kool I likes
still need to get that 4 way traffic light
well 2 anyway hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 01 2021 :  07:17:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I agree, it needs a name.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - April 18 2021 :  10:36:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
I agree, it needs a name.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 01 2021 :  07:17:07 AM

Yeah, I'm still wondering what to call my layout...

But anyways, here are more new pics, with spring in full bloom now...

Pretty soon, this swimming pool will be opened up again before you know it!

Another shot of the layout showing a few of the spring trees.

For now I gave my Bachmann GP40s a rest at hauling the main BNSF freight and had two of my Walthers Trainline Dash 8-40BWs pull it. (I still need to repair the pickup wire connection in my other BNSF Fakebonnet once I learn to solder!)

Overview of the freight consist running on the outer loop. With the exception of the AHM gondola, the Life-like container flatcar and the Walthers Trainline bay window caboose, all the rolling stock is TYCO!

Thought I'd get a shot of the BNSF Dash 8 going through the Bachmann dual crossing gates and past my Life-Like SceneMaster two-light target signal.

The freight train rolls past the farm, with a few more animals and the farm boy riding horseback!

The freight with the Dash 8 diesels rolling past the Skyview Drive-In Theater open for business!

I decided to put a Life-Like Scenemaster oak tree on the front lawn of this house, referencing how my current house has a couple of oak trees out front as well. The scaling of this tree does match the size of the real-life oaks in my front lawn in HO-scale! After a while I plan to remove the plastic base, stick a pin into the bottom of the trunk and stick it into the foam platform, as I did with other trees on my layout.

The woods here are also blooming with spring, along with two more oak trees!

The Skyview Drive-In showing a cartoon before the main feature. Believe it or not, that's not a Filmation or Hanna-Barbera cartoon or whatever; it's actually one of the final Looney Tunes shorts made in 1969, "Rabbit Stew and Rabbits Too" with Rapid Rabbit and Quick Brown Fox, and is my favorite of the late 1960s Looney Tunes era (despite obviously being inspired by the Road Runner and Wile E. Coyote!) By that time in the series' run, theatrical cartoon shorts were mostly being played at drive-in theaters and at kid matinees, as many cinemas were phasing out showing cartoon shorts… it was the end of an era.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 18 2021 :  7:45:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Cool update!

Bamos
Big Six

RRCrossingAvatar

Posted - April 18 2021 :  9:20:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bamos to Buddylist
Very nice Wiley, i like the old school aspect of your layout.

Bill
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 202  ~  Member Since: December 24 2017  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - July 04 2021 :  5:58:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Happy 4th of July! Summer is now in full swing on my HO-scale model train layout, and while I haven't been working on it that much lately, I found time to share these, especially since I gave a demonstration of this layout to my parents' friends today...

A girl running through the neighborhood flying a kite. This is from a Woodland Scenics figure set.

A nice photo of the Amtrak local approaching the Life-Like Snap-Loc commuter station platform, now decorated with benches and a trash receptacle!

And speaking of trash, I got these Walthers SceneMaster dumpsters from my dad. They came in a pack of three, and my dad used one to decorate a birthday cake with for his supervisor at the waste disposal company he works at as an I.T. technician, and he also put small candles into the dumpster so that when lit it'd look like a little dumpster fire! So of course, he let me use the other two dumpsters on my train layout.

Just some people camping once again next to one of my ledges...

Some of the "grass" here (older Life-Like grass material made of sawdust dyed green) had rubbed off, so I patched those areas with new grass, using a bit of Woodland Scenics and Life-Like green ground foam "grass" material. It does make a difference, and adds a bit of realistic variety!

The Skyview Drive-In Theater is still doing exceptionally well, and is busier now that summer is here!

Another area I had to rewatch the grass at. It does look pretty good, and after a bit of natural weathering I found the "grass" to look WAY more realistic!

At the Bachmann Plasticville Split Level house, the swimming pool is open again, and the kids are flying kites. And at the Life-Like Contemporary Ranch House next door, they're throwing a backyard barbecue!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 04 2021 :  6:49:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great day for the pool!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 04 2021 :  8:39:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice updates! Love the continued scenery changes on your layout.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - November 27 2021 :  3:03:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I haven't worked on my train layout as much lately due to my job and some other events, but here are some updates in time for the holiday season to begin!

A new addition to my Christmas train this year is this "Sled-Ex" container flatcar from Lionel! This particular tooling originally came from Model Power, of course.

A real-life "Planes, Trains and Automobiles" situation here. My HO-scale Amtrak locomotive was having problems running, in the midst of Thanksgiving travels! But where's Steve Martin?
I recently re-lubed the gears, and then I'm going to oil it, so that should help. At least it wasn't as bad as in the actual movie, where that Alco diesel engine [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFzbZxDeafE]broke down and started smoking like a TYCO PowerTorque locomotive[/url]!

A Christmas tree has been set up outside the church, while most of the other trees have been losing their leaves for the season.

The woods near the drive-in theater as we transition from autumn to winter.

Here is my current consist for the Christmas train. For now I have my IHC Santa Fe Consolidation steam engine and tender pulling it, though soon I'm going to actually get a DCC decoder installed in it! (I'm gonna send it to DX Installs for this task, and let the professionals handle the upgrade for a decent price.)

School has been in session for quite some time now, even if one of the playground swings were broken.

The Christmas tree lot has opened again!

And of course, the downtown train station with the "Santa's Landing" roof!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 27 2021 :  3:08:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very nice, Wiley. Amtrak still doing well!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - November 27 2021 :  3:46:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Very nice, Wiley. Amtrak still doing well!

Originally posted by Chops124 - November 27 2021 :  3:08:39 PM

Thanks! After I oil that Amtrak F40PH, it'll run a lot better. I also asked my dad for one of these for Christmas:

It's the same 85' Budd dome car Bachmann's been making since 1974, but painted up to look like Amtrak's recently-retried "Ocean View" dome lounge car that was used on the Downeaster trains! I already have the "Phase II" version (looking a little more like a dull Phase III), but I thought this might go better with my Bachmann Phase III Amfleet cars.

Next year Athearn will be coming out with HO-scale models of the Genesis diesels painted in Amtrak's 50th anniversary schemes. I want to get THIS one:

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 27 2021 :  5:46:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Next year Athearn will be coming out with HO-scale models of the Genesis diesels painted in Amtrak's 50th anniversary schemes. I want to get THIS one:

Originally posted by wiley209 - November 27 2021 :  3:46:06 PM

I want the one in Phase 1 scheme
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 27 2021 :  9:17:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Layout is looking good as always, Wiley, and in every season.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 13 2021 :  8:14:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Winter has hit my model train layout!

A lovely snow scene. Too bad my hometown of Brockton MA can't look like this for Christmas, usually not until later in January. (Valentine's Day is usually the new Christmas around here!)

I decided to give the BNSF locomotives a rest on my layout and support the freight railroad that runs through my area! I got a couple of Bachmann CSX GP40s; this is their current model, with a TCS DPX2 decoder plugged into the 8-pin socket.

I've also recently wired up my Woodland Scenics TidyTrack Roto Wheel Cleaner to the DC terminals on my blue Life-Like power pack I generally use to power my turnouts, TYCO Prestomatic accessories and any nearby lights or signals. That way I don't have to reach down under the layout and wire it to one of the extra power packs I use for lighting another part of the layout.

Another nice snowy view, with the special Christmas train and the CSX local freight both visible.

The hobos deem to like the winter scene as well; they and the brakeman are even wishing each other a happy holiday!

The Christmas train at my Model Power railroad crossing. Those motorists are pretty surprised to see a steam locomotive passing through!

For the end of my main freight, I'm using this Walthers Trainline caboose (based off COX tooling, of course). While it may not be in the "Dark Future" paint scheme, as long as it's got the CSX markings I'm happy enough.

A double-header setup just like on the real freight trains running through here. And yes, the CSX GP40s here can vary with having the boxcar logo or not.

The CSX freight unloading logs from the log dump car in the freight yard.

The Christmas train stopping at the Plasticville freight station amidst the winter wonderland. I still need to make a few more snow sections...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2021 :  9:03:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice layout scenes and photos!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 24 2021 :  6:05:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Last update before Christmas Day!

The CSX freight passing by the Amtrak local.

Look how busy the Christmas tree lot is! I combined the figure sets from Noch and Preiser to make a nice larger lot than before.

Here's a sight that reminds me of the time I had to stop for a CSX local freight in Taunton, MA. The CSX GP40s in the "Dark Future" paint scheme, the crossing gate, it's all there.

The CSX freight clears another crossing, but it won't be clear for long after the Christmas special comes!

A family bringing home their Christmas tree.

The lot on Christmas Eve, with some last-minute tree buyers. (I know that some people tend to wait until Christmas Eve to get a tree and decorate it.)

Another shot of my local freight consist, with both CSX GP40s hauling the train!

Two Santas in one neighborhood on Christmas Eve? Something is fishy here. Did that one father spread the idea to his neighbors about dressing up as Santa to come down the chimney on Christmas Eve just to put out the presents?

And here's a YouTube video...

Happy holidays, everyone!

Edited by - wiley209 on December 24 2021 6:06:03 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 24 2021 :  6:35:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Like those snowscapes, Wiley! Never seen a Christmas Tree lot modeled before. Nice!

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 24 2021 :  6:43:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like the idea of the Christmas theme on the layout. The tree lot really works well. In terms of the late customers, I used to know a Russian who got really good deals on Christmas trees. Russian Orthodox Christmas is Jan. 7, so he could wait and buy the tree when the seller really wanted to get rid of it.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 24 2021 :  8:04:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

A lot to see. Very nice.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 24 2021 :  9:11:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great details! The Christmas trees on top of some of the cars is really unique.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 24 2021 :  10:03:48 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Good stuff as usual Wiley, really love that pair of CSX GP40s!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 13 2022 :  2:34:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Been a while, but here are some new pics! Gonna need to make two posts to show them all, so here's the first...

The Christmas train making its' final run of the season on Christmas day.

One of my Christmas presents was an additional blinking E-Z Track bumper for my railroad yard! I always thought lighted bumpers were more interesting, especially since A.H.M., Life-Like and TYCO had them.

The Amtrak consist, with a new 85' Budd dome car! It's another Bachmann one, this time painted in Phase III like the last prototype Amtrak had that they would sometimes run on the Downeaster.

The Toys 'R' Us Express lives on! I've reconstructed my very first electric train set I got as a kid to run on my model train layout! I found a good-condition working Life-Like ATSF Dockside 0-4-0 steam engine (based off old Varney tooling) to pull the boxcars and caboose this set came with. And good timing too, since Toys 'R' Us is making a comeback shortly! (Maybe I'll get DCC installed in the Dockside as well.)

The TYCO Snap-Together Water Tower kit. IHC later sold this Pola kit after TYCO Trains's demise, but Walthers currently rebrands a different Pola water tower under the Trainline brand.

I also couldn't resist getting this billboard from Miller Engineering, since I saw it in a Walthers flyer. Wile E. Coyote is my favorite Looney Tunes character, and it's a nice attention-grabber!

An overview of the layout as of early January, with the area still covered in snow (something that didn't happen to my hometown of Brockton MA until late January, as per usual.

People throwing out their Christmas trees. Some of them were only put out a few days after Christmas!

The Amtrak Ocean View dome car stopped at the Arlee Station!

I also had to replace this E-Z Track remote turnout due to the motor on the old one burning out and melting an opening underneath the ties. (I also had to replace one of the remotes for another turnout, but at least that's all taken care of.

And here's a YouTube video of the Toys 'R' Us Express running on my layout..

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 13 2022 :  2:37:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Here's the next batch of pics!

Sure, it's anachronistic seeing an Amtrak passenger train passing by the Toys 'R' Us Express, but I think it looks cool!

For a while, I decided to just have one CSX GP40 pull the main freight, especially since I need to do a bit of cleaning and lubing of the other.

The Amtrak train stopped at the downtown train station, with the Bachmann Plasticville platform.

My current kit for replacing the X2Fs old I.H.C., Life-Like and TYCO rolling stock, using Bachmann E-Z Mate Mark II knuckle couplers and Kadee tango truck adaptors. Anything else like the A.H.M. and vintage Bachmann rolling stock, I use Kadee's washers with the E-Z Mate couplers.

My new caboose to run at the end of my main freight! Life-Like made this as part of a special train set sold exclusively to CSX and Conrail employees in 1997 as part of the plan for CSX to acquire half of Conrail (a deal completed in 1999, where CSX took over the old Conrail routes in my area.)

Also from the set is this Life-Like 50' boxcar. I like this because it reminds me of a few real-life boxcars I've seen on the Conrail and CSX local freights in my area. (The Bachmann CSX GP40 and the TYCO RailBox car also make it like the real freight trains here, too.)

Overview of my current main freight consist.

With the [url=https://resources.bachmanntrains.com/Bachmann2022/html5/index.html#]newest Bachmann catalog[/url], there's quite a few CSX/Conrail-related things I may want to get for my layout, such as the DCC-equipped USRA 0-6-0 and slope tender in Pennsylvania markings, the DCC-equipped CSX GP40 in "Bright Future" markings (like the local freights running through here used to have before the locomotives were repainted in "Dark Future"),and the DCC-ready Conrail GP38-2 in Operation Lifesaver markings.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 27 2022 :  8:28:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Some more layout updates for March!

Look who's passing through my town! Mystery Inc. is either just driving through on the way to another case... or is there such a Scooby-Doo Hoax happening right in the town?

Spring has come to the layout! The snow has largely melted away (i.e. I actually put away the styrofoam snow sections until next December).

The CSX local freight unloading crates from the TYCO operating boxcar.

The Amtrak local stopping at Arlee Station. Sure, it does look toylike with the curved track, but I don't mind too much.

An overview of the downtown area, with the ACME billboard and both trains in the background.

Preparing to reopen the Skyview Drive-In Theater...

...and here's the Drive-In open for business! The Android tablet I had in the screen was failing, so I replaced it with an old iPad Mini I got from the electronics recycling/reselling company I work at as a computer technician.

A smaller freight I'm also running on the layout currently, headed by a Mantua Classics Conrail GP20 with a TCS T1 decoder installed! At the end is an A.H.M. Contrail caboose, the one that resembles TYCO's streamlined caboose.

The hoboes riding in the TYCO CP Rail boxcar on the Contrail freight.

The Big Blue railroad meets its' successor. (That is, this is because the half of Conrail that CSX bought out includes the lines in my area, and all the local freights here use those same CSX GP40 locomotives.)

Old Bandit
Switcher

CNRAvatar-1

Posted - March 29 2022 :  1:07:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Old Bandit to Buddylist
Just found it. Awesome ! You really built a great railroad empire. Congrats.
I don't take myself seriously, so I apologize if you do.
 Country: Ukraine  ~  Posts: 10  ~  Member Since: March 29 2022  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - June 26 2022 :  1:22:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I've been fairly busy for the last few months, with my day job at the electronics recycling/reselling company, and then the Brockton Rox baseball season starting again in full swing at the end of May (which means I'm back to working as their kangaroo mascot again), along with attending Anime Boston at one point. But here's some more photo updates of my model railroad layout!

The smaller Conrail freight parked at the Life-Like operating logging mill. I extended the track a bit to accommodate this, but it does appear to be hovering over the ground a bit. I might get a bit of cork roadbed to place under that small bit of track, though.

Spring is in bloom on the model train layout.

More layout overviews. For the Amtrak local, I've switched to having a GE P40 "Genesis" locomotive pulling the cars for a while (an Athearn Ready-To-Roll model with a TCS T1A DCC decoder plugged into the socket).

The Amtrak train with the P40 locomotive stopping at the Arlee Station.

Another shot of the Amtrak train, this time stopped at the Life-Like Snap-Loc commuter station.

The Conrail freight parked on the siding next to the Skyview Drive-In Theater...

...and the Amtrak local passing by. I recently put an older 2nd-generation iPad Mini I got from my workplace into the screen, and it can run a recent-enough version of iOS that lets me use Netflix, HBO Max, Disney+, Paramount+ and the YouTube apps on it to stream video to the drive-in! Here I'm playing one of my favorite one-shot Looney Tunes cartoons via HBO Max, "A Fox in a Fix" from 1951.

I also shot a video of the layout in action, using my 6th-generation iPad, as an experiment with shooting and editing video on the tablet...

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 26 2022 :  9:18:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
There is no audio in the video

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - June 26 2022 :  10:17:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
There is no audio in the video

Originally posted by RP model railroads - June 26 2022 :  9:18:24 PM

Yeah, I found out too late that the folding cover on my iPad's case was blocking the microphone...

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 26 2022 :  10:43:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Everything moving serenely. Since last seen, I, too, discovered the
wonders of EZ track. It is so much more reliable than anything I
have ever tried.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 05 2022 :  10:20:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Lately I haven't had as much time to work on my model train layout, but the holiday season has arrived!

A photo of the Skyview Drive-In Theater during the autumn before closing for the season...

And now winter has come to the layout!

The Christmas tree lot being busy as always for those who want a real cut-down pine tree in their house, rather than an artificial tree.

Here's my newest locomotive for pulling the holiday train: a Bachmann DCC-equipped USRA 0-6-0 steam locomotive and tender car in the New Haven scheme (because the New York, New Haven and Hartford Railroad originally owned the tracks in my area, before the Penn Central, Conrail and CSX buyouts/mergers).

But it has trouble pulling the Christmas cars by itself. So until I can apply a bit of frog snot to the wheels or something, I'm having a helper engine for the Christmas train, like with some real-life special steam trains.

The holiday train passing the main CSX local freight...

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 28 2023 :  7:15:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Been getting back to my model railroad layout, now that spring is here! AND, this year marks the fifth anniversary since I built it! Time sure flies...

A raccoon problem in the neighborhood!

Looks like someone was trying to film their odometer hitting 100,000 miles while driving! (A reference to "Tiny Toon Adventures: How I Spent My Vacation" when Hamton's family completely destroyed Plucky's fake railroad crossing for that reason. It's also like the "do not enter" sign Dil crashed the Reptar Wagon into in "The Rugrats Movie".)

Overview of the layout as it transitions from winter to spring.

Giving my track a once-over with my Mantua Classics Conrail GP20 pulling my Walthers track-cleaning boxcar.

The main local freight on my layout, hauled by a pair of Bachmann DCC-equipped GP40s in the "Dark Future" paint scheme, looking very much like the real freight trains that run through my area.

The Skyview Drive-In Theater is open for business again!

The main freight dropping off the piggyback trailer car to unload a truck trailer with.

My recreation of a sight I've seen in real life, the CSX local freights here traveling through railroad crossings (and since most of the crossings here now have gates, that makes the resemblance stronger).

Edited by - wiley209 on March 28 2023 9:38:53 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 29 2023 :  10:57:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I admit there are a few buildings on your layout I want but unassembled
oh I did get the 7up plant last year hehe

AndyTrain
Switcher

Steam

Posted - April 05 2023 :  11:08:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AndyTrain to Buddylist
Great job, keep the pics coming.
Andy Carmona
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: November 24 2021  ~  Last Visit: May 08 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Christian
Switcher

CHRIS

Posted - April 18 2023 :  1:43:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Christian to Buddylist
Awesome layout. You really did a great work;
 Country: France  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: April 18 2023  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 21 2023 :  10:43:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I apologize for the incredibly long absence, but since the Christmas season is here again, I've gotten back into the model railroading spirit!

The Christmas train running after Thanksgiving ends, running alongside the CSX local freight.

The downtown train station with its' special holiday roof.

The Christmas tree lot open for business!

It even snowed on the layout, compared to in real life where Christmas is now practically an autumn holiday!

The CSX freight passing through downtown. After accidentally breaking that AHM crossing signal, I put an old Life-Like crossing gate on the base as a temporary solution until I can get an NJ International "modern over-the-road combo crossing" signal.

Overview of the whole layout.

Busy holiday travelers at the downtown train station.

Another shot of the Christmas train, with Santa Claus on board!

And I also shot a video of the Yuletide action:

Edited by - wiley209 on December 22 2023 10:41:29 AM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 22 2023 :  10:17:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice photos. Thanks for sharing them with us.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 22 2023 :  12:23:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh you're fine
As I have been monstering you on FB

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 22 2023 :  4:47:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Most enjoyable. CSX has a good home!
Edited by - Chops124 on December 22 2023 4:49:08 PM

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 30 2023 :  8:48:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Nice stuff Wiley! Love the roadrunner billboard!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future Topic Next Topic: Henley: Britain in OO  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000