Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 New house layout!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future Topic Next Topic: Henley: Britain in OO
Page: of 7

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 02 2017 :  4:43:31 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, this weekend I got to see the new house my family and I will be moving into! The basement is pretty big and roomy, and I found in the area I'll be working in, there will be enough space for the 12x8' U-shape layout I am planning to build...

The entire layout will reuse my two existing plywood pieces and a new 4x8', with a few inches of extruded insulation foam on top of it, and will mostly be using nickel-silver Bachmann E-Z Track.
I'm already planning on where several action accessories will go, as indicated by some of the "regular" sectional track pieces. The "spaghetti bowl" yard on the top left will include stuff like the TYCO Operating Boxcar and Log Dump Car sets and the Life-Like Coal Tipple, and the TYCO manual piggyback loader/unloader will go on the spur on the bottom of the top inner loop. Near the center section next to a crossing there will be the TYCO Freight Unloading Depot (this time I'm placing it near a straight track line), and opposite of that the track will go over a ravine using Bachmann's E-Z Track Blinking Bridge (I saw one in action at a train show a couple weekends ago, and it appears to now use an LED instead of the old incandescent version.) On the bottom is where I will be setting up the Life-Like Logging Mill and AHM Thunder Mountain Logging Company (yep, I'm going to combine both of them!) The spur next to that using sectional snap-track will be TYCO's Operating Hopper Car unloading area. As for railroad crossings, I will be using a few operating ones, including Bachmann's E-Z Track Crossing Gate, along with TYCO's Crossing Gate and Lighted Signal Crossing.

I'm already moving my train stuff into the area where the new layout will be set up in the new house!

So there will be quite an interesting mix of old and new on this layout. I may not start the actual construction until after Christmas though, but at least I've got the exciting planning stages to go through! And it also helps I found a great little hobby shop in Hanson MA, near the bowling alley my brother's bowling team meets at every other Sunday, for me to buy stuff from for this new layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 02 2017 :  7:06:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Sounds like awesome plans, wiley209!!!! I wish you success in building your new layout!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 02 2017 :  7:27:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, that is going to be Harvey Wallbanger of a pike! I am a great
fan of any preformed roadbed track- it solves so many problems
before they start. I have had a little trouble with some of the
Bachmann EZ turnouts, however, not all, but some. Save those
receipts if you need to return one! I truly look forward to seeing
the progress. Please post.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 02 2017 :  7:30:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I be doing this soon but I gotta clean out house & get rid of stuffs
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 03 2017 :  4:31:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Bought some more track for the impending layout and dropped it off at the new house, and took a picture of the track I will be using for the layout so far. I'm going to need a lot more though...

I have also compiled the structures I have and will be setting up on the layout. A new one I plan to get will be the Skyview Drive-In Theater from Wathers, as the old drive-in theater that used to be in Brockton was also named the Skyview!

Edited by - wiley209 on December 03 2017 4:32:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - December 03 2017 :  8:07:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
If you have a fleabay account, wait till there's a sale in toys and hobbies. I purchased $150 worth of EZ track for just 81 bucks!
Edited by - RealBnsfIA on December 03 2017 8:07:20 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 05 2017 :  10:39:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - December 02 2017 :  7:30:35 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you been saying that for three years now. BUT it will be a
Harvey Wallbanger, if you get round to it!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 06 2017 :  11:59:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I like your EZ Track, I've had a lot of good luck with it.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 07 2017 :  7:31:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
I like your EZ Track, I've had a lot of good luck with it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 06 2017 :  11:59:37 AM

Thanks! I bought some more of it recently, including Bachmann's E-Z Track Expander set (nickel-silver version.)

I bought a new-old-stock set from the late 90s or early 2000s (judging by the E-Z Track logo on the top), but it's virtually identical to the version available on the market today, complete with those older-style bumpers (I don't care if they're not that realistic-looking, as long as they do their job.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 08 2017 :  6:55:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I've got a decent pile of boxes and containers in the corner of the basement section of my new house where my model train layout will be going. It does make for a neat sight: the beginnings of a brand-new model railroading experience!

As for benchwork, the existing 4x8 and 4x4 plywood sections will be handled by the movers we are hiring. I am not going to be reusing the ancient ratty dining table I have set the 4x8 on all these years; I am going to build a new, simple but sturdy frame and legs for the plywood sections (including the new 4x8 I plan to get to complete the "U" shape), somewhat following the steps described in the TYCO Layout Expander System manual, but adapting it for 1 12x8 "U" shape and for DCC and E-Z Track.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 08 2017 :  7:53:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
This will be great to watch this come along Wiley.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 08 2017 :  8:06:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks awesome!!! I can't wait to see your new layout go up!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 09 2017 :  8:15:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Do you want some more #4 Bachmann EZ turnouts? Jimmy has about
two or three extra. How much is a fair price? I'm not sure what it
retails for these days. Great find.

I agree- if it works, it works. I have spent many an hour trouble shooting
regular sectional track. Hats off to the rivet counters, but I am not there.

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 09 2017 :  8:59:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Looks like a good track plan. I look forward to seeing it in action.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 11 2017 :  5:09:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Just wondering, how wide is that center section? If more than about 2.5 feet you may have some trouble reaching the rear track, or scenerying it. The
bridge will add great scenic interest.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 11 2017 :  6:53:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by microbusss - December 02 2017 :  7:30:35 PM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, you been saying that for three years now. BUT it will be a
Harvey Wallbanger, if you get round to it!

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 05 2017 :  10:39:50 AM

well I is moving to a bigger house someday
dunno when tho
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 12 2017 :  10:36:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Well, Busss, it's hard to get ahead sometimes. But you have
an insanely amazing collection, so that layout will be insanely
amazing to see, one day.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 04 2018 :  7:58:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
How's it coming, Wiley? Check out the video I posted of Jimmy Jame's
layout. He used mostly Bachmann EZ track and we have been very
pleased so far how well it works and how well the trains stay on
the rails. Good stuff.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 04 2018 :  9:00:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Well, Busss, it's hard to get ahead sometimes. But you have
an insanely amazing collection, so that layout will be insanely
amazing to see, one day.

Originally posted by Chops124 - December 12 2017 :  10:36:00 AM

yeah
course someday I wanna do that Model Railroader's Red Oak Line but do it as a time when BN took over hehe
AND in HO scale instead!
some stuffs will change like tracks removed from cattle loading areas
replace the Al's General Store with a 70s era Texaco station
replace Burlington Route signs with BN but put old signs in a pile
change signal to modern one & redo bridge as a modern one hehe

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 05 2018 :  11:04:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'm looking forward to it, Busss, what with all the stuffs you got
it's gonna be crazy!

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 06 2018 :  10:30:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Have you considered adding a "high line" that climbs above and over the other tracks? I've found that having elevation differences between the tracks adds a lot of interest to a layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 07 2018 :  10:14:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'd like to see a picture, or better, a video of yours, Jward. Here is an "air line" on my friend, Jimmy's, "Charleston" layout. I put a smaller one on
"Tycomania 7." I lifted the idea off RealBNSFIA.
https://youtu.be/bvnTVsr15uc

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 09 2018 :  4:26:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, I think I am now two-thirds of the way towards getting all the track I need. Also this week I plan to buy more benchwork. I did notice a problem of sorts; the existing 4x8 is a half-inch piece, but the 4x4 we bought almost four years ago is a 3/4-inch piece! (Should've measured the old plywood before buying the 4x4. Oops!) So I've decided I will buy some quarter-inch wood strips to lay on the existing 4x8 before I put the two-inch extruded insulation foam on top. With that said, the new 4x8 will be 3/4-inch thick to match the 4x4, and I will get two 4x8 sheets of extruded insulation foam and one 2x8 sheet, all two inches thick. (I can cut the 2x8 sheet in half to fit the 4x4 in two sections.) I will probably assemble track first before doing any landscaping to see how it looks, then decide where my roads will go. (For that, I will be using 1/8-inch thick Foamcore strips, same with several building sites.) I'm even going to carve and cut a ravine into the foam in which my Bachmann E-Z Track blinking bridge will go over!

Testing it out for this photo. I discovered that compared to the old version Bachmann made from the 70s to the 90s, this one uses an LED light and nickel-silver rails, and doesn't draw as much power from the track thanks to the LED, so it doesn't interfere with the operation of the train as it rolls over the bridge!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 09 2018 :  4:46:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
oh I agree with your findings

the one that used a bulb would slow down the loco every time it was on!

does the new one have a single LED?

I think there should be 3 or 4 in there

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 09 2018 :  5:42:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Loving it! Makes me want to build something!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 09 2018 :  7:39:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lookin' good wiley209! Keep up the good work!

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 13 2018 :  12:09:54 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
Chops, i am not going to disrespect Wiley by hijacking his thread with my own layout pics. I will post them in a separate thread when I find them.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 483  ~  Member Since: December 22 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 20 2018 :  6:35:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Well, today we got most (if not all) of the materials I need for building the benchwork for the new layout! My carpenter cousin who stopped by to install a railing on our basement stairs also helped transport the material for me.

As I said, I'm going to use extruded insulation foam on the plywood. But Lowe's 2-inch-thickness sections are just two 1-inch sections stuck together, and it looks kind of uneven. Maybe it's to line them up more easily? Whatever; I'm sure it will work out fine. Also, because the old 4x8 I originally started out with didn't match the thickness of the 4x4 and the new 4x8 (which are 3/4-inches thick, the old one is a half-inch thick) we got a 1/4-inch 4x8 to put over the original 4x8 to even out the height.
In building the train table, I will be combining methods from TYCO's Layout Expander System manual and the World's Greatest Hobby video (as uploaded on YouTube.) The supports for the 4x4 from the old layout will be reused, but the height will be increased on the legs.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 20 2018 :  7:42:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks like you're gonna have a nice big spread to play with Wiley.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 20 2018 :  9:44:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow!! Good luck, wiley! Looks like a fantastic layout #2 in-the-making!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 22 2018 :  6:08:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Trying some test-fitting and laying of the E-Z Track I have so far for one of the 4x8 sections. Once I've assembled the benchwork and attached the insulation foam to the tabletops, I will assemble the track first and run the trains on it for a while, deciding where I'll put different things, before I'm ready to do landscaping. I got this plan from Robert Schleicher's "The HO Model Railroading Handbook: 3rd Edition" and the "Bachmann Model Railroad Club Magazine" issues.

Still need to get some more track; I need some more left-hand turnouts and a Connector Assortment and a couple of 18"-radius curved rerailers (for the road I am planning that will cross at a couple of curves.)
I was also able to remove the connection clips from one end of two of the E-Z track sections so I could connect my TYCO crossing gate!

It does look cool seeing the Bachmann and TYCO crossing gates together like that, especially when you know that Bachmann's dual crossing gates draws some inspiration from the TYCO version.

I've already come up with a plan on where my roads for the vehicles running through the layout will be, along with a couple of industrial areas and the drive-in movie theater.

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 22 2018 :  6:20:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Very nice! Can't wait to see the finished product
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 241  ~  Member Since: October 02 2017  ~  Last Visit: March 31 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 22 2018 :  7:31:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice planning and construction!!! Looking forward to seeing more progress on your layout!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 22 2018 :  8:53:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Fun to watch this come along Wiley, and envying that nice big table.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 23 2018 :  10:46:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ditto!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 24 2018 :  7:53:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I got a frame built under the first 4x8 sheet of plywood!

Starting work on it before cutting additional 2x4s...

The finished frame. It will be a lot better than just resting the 4x8 on that old dining table for sure.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 25 2018 :  10:41:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I'm loving it. Looks real well put together.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 25 2018 :  11:42:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I put together the second platform today!

I left one end open there for when I attach it to the first 4x8 platform.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 26 2018 :  12:44:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Lookin' good, and sturdy!!

jward
Hudson

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - January 27 2018 :  12:16:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jward to Buddylist
I'm glad to see you are putting a frame beneath the plywood. Building too heavy of a frame won't hurt your railroad, but building it too light will. Nothing worse than spending a lot of time and money building a layout that isn't adequately supported, only to have the base board warp and sag. Those changes cause no end of trouble. You, on the other hand, have built a platform even sturdier than I would, and I can walk on mine. You won't regret that choice.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 29 2018 :  11:08:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Starting to add table legs!

I'm really getting close now. And for track, all I need now are three more left-hand turnouts and four more 18"-radius curves, and I'll have all the tracks I need!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 30 2018 :  6:29:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 30 2018 :  6:57:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Lookin' forward to that first run Wiley.

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 31 2018 :  5:48:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Lookin' forward to that first run Wiley.

Originally posted by Barry - January 30 2018 :  6:57:59 PM

Already did a test run on the first platform section!

We got the first table standing up! Boy is it taller than the old one, but I like how I can now see the trains at eye-level when I will be sitting at the console, and I can store some containers underneath the layout during the construction period! As you can kind of see, space is a little awkward at the moment, but keep in mind, we just moved into the house over a month ago, and still have a bit of unpacking and organizing to do in the basement. I even took the opportunity to do some more track test-fitting and such.

Here is where two of my TYCO Prestomatic accessories are going. After the photo was taken, I extended the siding with the operating boxcar bin a bit. That blank E-Z Track siding is where the Life-Like Operating Coal Tipple will go (it will be the post-1996 version designed to also work with Power-Loc or other similar roadbed track.) For the TYCO accessories I will place cork roadbed underneath them.

TYCO operating crossing gate and piggyback loader/unloader terminal. Again, I'll place cork roadbed underneath the terminal, and make a slightly longer incline for the ramp to go to the small road I'll be making once I do scenery (that won't be until the second and third extensions are built.)

And for the heck of it, here are the Bachmann and TYCO crossing gates together. It really lets you see how similar both are. (Again, the TYCO gate is the early version with a more detailed base, a separate track section (I used a nickel-silver Atlas Code-100 track section on it for better electrical consistency) and better operation than the TYCO crossing gates from the mid-70s onward.) On the other side of the track across the TYCO crossing gate, I will place another crossing signal there (maybe an operating one.)

Nope, this isn't Bachmann. It's actually a Model Power Lock-It nickel-silver lighted bumper track section. I mentioned how Lock-It was Model Power's answer to Bachmann E-Z Track and could even connect to it (Bachmann wasn't pleased by that and filed a lawsuit!)

From the other side.

Unpacking my boxed locomotives and rolling stock, along with my E-Z Command setup...

Already able to run a train on this! I am substituting a couple of sections right now that will be replaced when the table is added onto. I am using the Bachmann DCC GP40 locomotive that came with the E-Z Command unit when I bought it nearly four years ago. Among running at first it seemed to struggle, but after a few laps it ran more smoothly (I guess it needed to be broken in after being in storage for some time; I may also give the track a quick wipe-over with my track-cleaning boxcar to be safe.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 31 2018 :  6:01:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Wow!! It's really coming together, wiley!! Keep up the great work, and congrats on a new chapter beginning to unfold, for your layout!

RealBnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 31 2018 :  6:01:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RealBnsfIA to Buddylist
Very nice!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 01 2018 :  3:44:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
OK, not only am I doing some track test-fitting on the initial 4x8 section of my train table, I'm also organizing where structures and operating accessories will be located, for the most part.

The complete TYCO Center Street 1982 building set! A friend of mine custom-painted the school for the former downtown museum HO train layout. I only have one building from the 1981 set: the Loew's movie theater, but that is all I need.

Another shot of some of the structures. I unpacked a few more after this photo was taken.

The fast food district. Again, I placed the Life-Like KFC and TYCO Burger King structures near a railroad crossing to mirror the real fast-food district in the neighboring town of Bridgewater MA (their Burger King was originally a train station, which would explain its' location right next to the tracks.)

Getting in some freight and passenger train action. I find that my five-car Amtrak train would be better for running through the entire length of the layout once the additional platforms are built and attached (otherwise I'll just have the locomotive pull three cars.)

Near here there will be a train station with a Bachmann Plasticville platform in-between the two tracks.

For my trial run I am using none other than my first DCC locomotive: the Bachmann BNSF GP40 that came with my E-Z Command control unit and wiring, which I bought almost three years ago when I was building the previous layout!

Where a left-hand turnout will be going that will direct the trains to the second platform I am currently substituting with my Life-Like E-Z Track blinking bridge. On the final setup, it will be going on the second platform over a ravine carved into the insulation foam.

Look, I can now set up the plastic electric windmills I've had for a couple years now! It seems these windmills and the railroad both seem to go together.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 01 2018 :  6:41:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
It's really coming together!! Nice work, wiley!

I think I actually have the exact same yellow-handled needle-nose pliers in photo #7, and that windmill is stunning. By the way, I also like your complete Tyco BN piggyback car!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 02 2018 :  2:17:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great stuff!!

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 04 2018 :  6:15:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
BIG update: I've got the second part of the platform built now!

As I mentioned, we had to lop ten inches off of the 4x8 so we could get to the oil tank more easily near the layout.
So after assembly, I cut the extruded insulation foam there to fit:

I had also gotten this for the new layout:

Bachmann's Plasticville HO station platform. It has a lot more detail and painted parts, and it even came with the labels already applied! The two included figures were fully painted as well. It reminds me a lot of the train station platforms in my hometown of Brockton for the MBTA commuter railroad line running through here.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - February 04 2018 :  7:19:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
NICE WORK!

Page: of 7 Previous Topic: Elbonia: Gateway to the Future Topic Next Topic: Henley: Britain in OO  
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000