Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Will KD couplers fit Tyco rolling stock?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann Gear Needed Topic Next Topic: Replacement brush springs?  

RioGrandeF9A
Switcher

Posted - November 11 2017 :  7:20:24 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add RioGrandeF9A to Buddylist
Can Tyco rolling stock be converted to KD couplers?

I purchased a Lionel engine and hoping to have that engine pulling the Tyco cars. Will have to convert at least one car from horn hoot to KD. Is this possible?

Thanks for any help

Engines: TYCO HO

Rio Grande Diesel F9A

New Haven Diesel F9A

Burlington Diesel F9A

LIONEL HO

Lionel Rock Island 140 FA1 Diesel
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 79  ~  Member Since: November 20 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 02 2019 Alert Moderator 

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - November 11 2017 :  7:42:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
Kadee offers a conversion kit to adapt Kadees to Tyco coupler boxes. It's a simple install and works well. I can't remember the part number.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RioGrandeF9A
Switcher

Posted - November 11 2017 :  8:23:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RioGrandeF9A to Buddylist
Thanks Time Warp! You know where I can find?
Engines: TYCO HO

Rio Grande Diesel F9A

New Haven Diesel F9A

Burlington Diesel F9A

LIONEL HO

Lionel Rock Island 140 FA1 Diesel
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 79  ~  Member Since: November 20 2013  ~  Last Visit: November 02 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - November 11 2017 :  9:20:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
I would suggest the Kadee website. Order direct or try your local dealer.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - November 12 2017 :  10:22:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Kadee sells the Talgo Truck adapter kit, which allows for a Kadee coupler to fit into the Talgi trucks from Tyco & Life Like. I've used them, and they work, but they take a bit of getting used to. Also, getting the copper centering spring to fit inside is a real pain.
You can eliminate the copper centering spring if you use the Kadee Couplers with the built in whisker springs, but even then, you have to trim down the springs to fit.

Even if you manage to succesfully install Kadee's in your Talgo trucks, you still have Talgo trucks, which are rife with inherent design flaws and problems. If your gonna spend the money to convert these cars to Kadees, you might as well do a proper job and body mount the couplers.

Get some Kadee Draft Gear Boxes and Draft Gear Box Shims. Remove the two extra mounting holes on the sides of draft gear boxes. Get some 2-56 or similar bolts and nuts OR coarse thread wood screws (which will hold plastic quite well, especially with a drop of CA), and screw/bolt the draft gear box ) with the coupler and spring inside) to the underside of the car. Use a coupler height gauge to make sure your coupler is at the correct height. Use the Draft Gear Box Shims between the car underframe and the Draft Gear Box if the coupler sits too high. If the height is way off, you can use wood or styrene to shim the Draft Gear Box.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann Gear Needed Topic Next Topic: Replacement brush springs?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000