Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 AHM GG1, Take Two
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Pros-cons NYC Hudson Steam Loco. Topic Next Topic: AHM GG1  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 30 2017 :  9:36:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks Brian, I got it up and running. Took me a few trials, but I got it.
Looks like YouTube found a way to move people into paying for the
formerly free YouTube video editor.

Yes, it is a Hodge Podge. On day 1 of Amtrak they were running a
little bit of everything- Santa Fe bi-levels (Fleischmann), Penn
Central this, Amtrak that, Budd RDC's pressed into coach service,
GG1's, you name it. 1976 was a hodge podge time. Up was down,
down was up and railroads were circling the drain, especially in the
Northeast. 1970's were definitely the year of Hodge Podge.

I worked a bit on the video, and found this new video cutter is a bit more
efficient than the old one, but the fifty sound tracks available are
pretty lame. Well, here it is, thanks for the support!!
https://youtu.be/nyaO0rh8aWs

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 26 2017 :  4:06:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
I picked up an AHM GG-1 in Amtrak livery today at a model railway show in Birmingham (English West Midlands). £28 GBP or just over $37USD. Condition is very good, but unboxed and it runs well.

It is my third GG-1, my other two are both boxed and marked Mehano - One made in Yugoslavia, the other more recent now says Slovenia. Both of the others have twin bogie drive. One with flexible shafts the other with two motors. But this new one is different again.....

It has noticeably different running gear mouldings from the other two and in particular the plate under one bogie is bulged for the gears and it is single bogie drive. It is marked Rivarossi - Made in Italy for AHM.

So can someone help me understand what I have? Is this the same spec as the famously expensive Rivarossi one, or is this a lower spec for AHM? Single bogie drive or not, I think this is great value for $35 USD

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 26 2017 4:38:12 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 26 2017 :  11:10:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

So can someone help me understand what I have? Is this the same spec as the famously expensive Rivarossi one, or is this a lower spec for AHM? Single bogie drive or not, I think this is great value for $35 USD

James

Originally posted by jamesday@btinternet.com - November 26 2017 :  4:06:14 PM

I always thought that AHM simply was an importer of Rivarossi and didn't have a lower spec, but I will let others chime in on this. What I do know is that Rivarossi did change their motor from a larger square motor to a slightly smaller round motor at some point in the 1960s. Both were 3-pole motors.

-Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - November 27 2017 :  03:35:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
the AHM GG's were made by Rivarossi, with some changes/ improvements over time.
The Yugoslavian and Slovenian built models were made by Mehano for IHC. The name of the country changed, the Mehano plant stayed in the same place.
It is important to remember that AHM, or IHC, never made anything. All of their merchandise was sourced elsewhere.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 27 2017 :  10:31:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's most interesting, I often wondered about these odd
Eastern European countries of origin. Mystery explained!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 27 2017 :  11:44:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks Guys,

Most helpful indeed. Yes as has been pointed out Yugoslavia began to break up in 1991 and Slovenia declared independence, which is a helpful dateline.

What I would like to know is if there is any tooling shared between the AHM and Mehano vesions as the body looks much the same, although there are some chassis differences.

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 27 2017 :  4:16:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
The AHM version was created and produced by Rivarossi and always had deep European flanges.

The Mehano (IHC) version was originally created by PEMCO in Hong Kong, and it had a pancake motor (similar to what Bachmann had in the 1980s). Mehano used the shell and developed their own power drive for the model. The Mehano model has flanges that are not as deep as the Rivarossi model.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 29 2017 :  8:28:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That's interesting, Redwoods. I read somewhere that Pemco was
made up of disgruntled ex-Tyco designers. I have a Pemco unit,
and it works astonishly well, what with its PT motor.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - November 29 2017 :  11:15:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:
That's interesting, Redwoods. I read somewhere that Pemco was
made up of disgruntled ex-Tyco designers. I have a Pemco unit,
and it works astonishly well, what with its PT motor.

Originally posted by Chops124 - November 29 2017 :  8:28:33 PM

I agree. I have a Pemco 2-6-0 with a PT motor in the tender and it also works well, as long as the bearings are properly lubricated. It works really well with a DCC decoder and is one of my favorite engines to run.
  Previous Topic: Pros-cons NYC Hudson Steam Loco. Topic Next Topic: AHM GG1  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000