Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 29 ]  [ Total: 29 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Stumped 1 update
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Can anyone recomend a restoration guy? Topic Next Topic: Stumped 1  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 24 2017 :  07:41:44 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Also, the bottom of the motor has a couple of bent contacts that need to touch the chassis. The chassis should have a portion stripped of paint so that electricity can flow to the motor.

Originally posted by Redwoods - October 19 2017 : 8:28:42 PM

Yep! to this. That bottom of the motor contacts to the frame is key to getting the motor to run, when everything else has been installed properly.
frank

It also appears that the entire chassis of the dummy is coated in a thick black laquer. It will conduct, but
poorly. This laquer also prevents the bottom motor contacts from conducting from the chassis. Moreover,
the black laquer also prevents the king pin from transmitting juice. So I've got a double barrier on my hands.
Also, that connection between king pin and chassis is performed by the lightest of pressure, and I wonder
even if the king pin plate is even touching the chassis or if it is separated by the thinnest of margins.

I am thinking my best option is to do what Justin suggested, and run wires directly to the motor- if I can do this without melting the gear box with the soldering iron- which is something I would probably excel at. It's all
or nothing.

Ken was right about the dummy wheels- even though the truck is the standard power pick up truck, the
wheels are plastic throughout.

One other odd discovery: only one side of the powered trucks are actually powered. The other side are free spinning. Thus, one had four wheel drive divided between opposing halves of the front and rear trucks. The wheels are held in merely by press fit side frames.

Hopefully I can reassemble all this.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 24 2017 :  4:04:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
There is an old book that you might check out called Model Railroading with Athearn Locomotives and Cars that has pretty good run down of how to maintain, disassemble and tune up Athearn blue box locos.

https://www.amazon.com/Model-Railroading-Athearn-Locomotives-Cars/dp/0961269235

You can get a used copy for under $10.

Just keep working at it, you'll be an Athearn loco expert in no time.

- Thomas
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: February 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 24 2017 :  6:34:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Drill a small hole in the frame. Find a screw that will tap into it. Fasten a wire to the screw and solder the other end to the brass brush spring holder on the bottom of the motor. that is how you fix an Athearn motor that won't pick up power from the frame.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 24 2017 :  10:22:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That sounds like the ticket, thanks!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

offtrackthoroughbred
Little Six

Ice Bandit

Posted - October 29 2017 :  2:50:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add offtrackthoroughbred to Buddylist
For motor to chassis I use a small flat blade screw driver to make the frame shine; then add graphite and assemble. For truck to chassis I use brass wool to shine the frame and truck contact; then add graphite and assemble.
Good luck! OTTB
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 125  ~  Member Since: November 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 29 2017 :  6:01:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, Ill do that!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 29 2017 :  6:17:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
How's the Conrail Switcher re-motoring working??? Sorry I couldn't be of much help, for I honestly have no experience with re-motoring a dummy.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Can anyone recomend a restoration guy? Topic Next Topic: Stumped 1  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.39 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000