Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 14 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua Metal Box Car Redo . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: mantua tyco history gift box,belle of 80s parts Topic Next Topic: Using MS Paint to alter paper car sides . . .  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 22 2017 :  12:45:20 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
The paper sides on the Mantua Metal Products Box Cars are tempting to reproduce and fabricate and can probably be "home embossed" for 3D features. I'm at the basics yet, just trying to get the size right and maybe eliminate some features such as grab irons that reproduce with the image when scale grab irons will be added. My latest attempt was to redo a paper side Colorado Midland box car that came from an image of a Roundhouse CM car. At that time, I neglected to remove images of grab irons and resize the image and such. This effort, simply using MS Paint came up with something a little more convincing to me. In the first photo, an assembled car with the previous Roundhouse image sits behind the side of car with an edited Walthers car image.

Editing the image in Paint allowed me to have room for grab irons that would not be placed over the RR emblems and adjust the length width ratio so that lettering stayed in scale . . . with a bunch of monkeying around ("some you save, some you don't").

I used store bought grab irons and made a template . . .

I really wanted to use some Floquil Box Car Red, but alas it is old enough that maybe I can use it for minor dry brush touch ups; nothing where I needed it to "flow". So, I mixed Testors Light Brown, Flat Red, and Black to come up with this concoction . . . the newer color is on the left. I think adding a wee bit of blue might have brought it around to be more like box car red.

A nice feature of the Paint editing is that car numbers can be changed; copy a piece of blank car side over the existing number and then type in the new number . . .

So to begin, this box car is going to carry some equipment for the crane on a work train sent out to clear a rock fall . . .

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 22 2017 :  3:21:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice work on refurbishing a vintage Mantua metal box car!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - August 22 2017 :  10:51:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Very nicely done! I didn't know MS Paint was so versatile of a tool. I'm going to have to do a little tinkering.

I also like what you've done with the paper sides. Using the raised panel for the door and real grab irons makes it seem a little less like a flat picture and gives the impression of shape and texture.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 23 2017 :  10:49:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist

The ability to alter car numbers inspired me to complete this set. These are an homage to the CM rather than accurate models. These Mantua cars are 40 feet and the CM cars with these numbers (photos are available) were 34 feet and wood all the way as opposed to these Mantua cars with steel ends and roofs. The CM cars also had truss rods and arch bar trucks. Probably many other things I'm not aware of as well.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 23 2017 :  10:54:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Regarding car 5588 with the tiny lettering. This was the only car that I had a photo of where I could see pretty clearly what the lettering said. Basically, aside from the weight and date of build, the small lettering says Built by the Pullman Co Pullman Illinois. That's why the other cars don't have that data.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 23 2017 :  11:44:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is astonishing.

There is a car I need to put up here that
was hand made some years ago by a Col. John Thomas, now
deceased. He scratch built a reefer and floated of the image
from a can of tomatoes and re-floated said image to the sides
of the car, and it was perfect. This reminds me of that.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - September 24 2017 :  08:07:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Excellent craftsmanship! That trio of boxcars looks like they were made that way. :)
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: mantua tyco history gift box,belle of 80s parts Topic Next Topic: Using MS Paint to alter paper car sides . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000