Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 33 ]  [ Total: 33 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Meet the Tyco skid flat's Grandfather
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Using MS Paint to alter paper car sides . . . Topic Next Topic: Mantua History Question . . .  

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 04 2017 :  10:57:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Just the other day I was poking through my favorite hobby shop's second-hand rolling stock inventory when I found this little gem...

A near mint condition Mantua all metal flat car!

Mantua first introduced this model in the July 1949 issue of Model Railroader Magazine...

Model Railroader Magazine then featured this model in their February 1950 issue's "Trade Topics" section:

As you can see from my example, this car is as simple as a car kit can get, yet the casting well executed and the detail even holds up to modern day standards!

I especially like this kit's thin, scale-sized, stamped metal stirrups compared to the oversized stirrups found on the later plastic versions of this car. The only thing missing from my example is the "stem winder" brake wheel (which is easily replaced). Incidentally, whoever originally bought and assembled this car never bothered to paint it which is why it is such great condition.

Most interestingly of all for the model railroader historian is that the fish belly side frames of this ancient flat car are a close match to Tyco's infamous Skid Flat Car...

Clearly this was the original tooling from which all following Mantua and Tyco 40 foot flat cars were based on. Now all I need to do is figure out how to attach Kadee's to this thing.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on August 05 2017 12:28:50 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 05 2017 :  10:35:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Crusty. Lovely.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 07 2017 :  11:22:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hey Scott. I'll be interested to see what you do with that flat car (having seen your fine craftsmanship on all the box cars). I would just avoid chopping off the Mantua coupler pocket to install a Kadee coupler pocket; you don't need to do that unless your "realism" effect requires it. Keep the photos coming as this car evolves. It will be fun to view.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 09 2017 :  10:18:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Hey Scott. I'll be interested to see what you do with that flat car (having seen your fine craftsmanship on all the box cars). I would just avoid chopping off the Mantua coupler pocket to install a Kadee coupler pocket; you don't need to do that unless your "realism" effect requires it. Keep the photos coming as this car evolves. It will be fun to view.

Originally posted by Barry - August 07 2017 :  11:22:34 PM

same here but most of them loop couplers were just screwed on really
So it wouldn't take much to put on a Kadee coupler
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - August 14 2017 :  9:02:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Well I got my Mantua flat car painted, decaled, and weathered.....

I think it looks pretty good for a model that was produced over sixty-five years ago!

In keeping with the vintage nature of this car, I replaced to old Mantua couplers with Kadee Number 4's.

Now all I need to do is make a load.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
Edited by - Srenchin on August 14 2017 9:25:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 14 2017 :  10:40:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neato
I could sees this car in BN Cascade Green or ATSF brown
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - August 15 2017 :  12:42:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Very nice Scott.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bitlerisvj
Switcher

Posted - August 15 2017 :  9:23:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bitlerisvj to Buddylist
Yes indeed, very nice for sure.
Vic B.

Vic Bitleris
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 55  ~  Member Since: May 08 2013  ~  Last Visit: February 20 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Using MS Paint to alter paper car sides . . . Topic Next Topic: Mantua History Question . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000