Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Motive Power
 GENERALly acceptable finished project
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Converting tender-drive to loco-drive question Topic Next Topic: western pacific engine  

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 05 2017 :  11:53:37 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
A few years back, I found a Tyco Gerenal kit in mint condition at a good price, so I bought it.  I planned to make a whole progress topic, but I got excited and accidentally finished it.

I did my best to make it look as close as possible to the Gerenal's appearance today with the parts provided.

I couldn't easily add a light to the solid piece Tyco headlight. So I just painted it.

The brass dome was polished and coated with gloss lacquer, the same as I've done with my tinplate restorations. It sure does shine!

A wood load wasn't included, and I wasn't about to search all over for the toy-like Tyco piece, so I grabbed a stick from the yard, chopped it up, and glued it on.

The body and details unfortunately aren't perfectly scaled, so I couldn't use the Microscale General nameplate decals. Instead, I very, very carefully used Model Master brass paint with a brush.

Instead of the original motor, I used a Maxon coreless motor with a flywheel, cut a longer shaft, and swapped one of the hex couplings for a piece of drive tubing. It runs incredibly smooth and quiet![:D]

I finished this a couple years ago, and just realized I hadn't even posted it! So here it is (finally).[:D]

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 05 2017 :  11:58:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Please put up a video!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 06 2017 :  12:06:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
quote:
Please put up a video!

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - June 05 2017 :  11:58:36 PM

I'll be sure to do that when I stop coughing! Aren't colds just so much fun?

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 06 2017 :  08:31:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like your improvised wood load better than the original. It's amazing the resemblance wood bears to wood.

The gleaming brass is also nice on an 1860's locomotive. The Central Pacific's Jupiter had a sister engine called Leviathan. Using some of the tooling and engineering from the replica of the Jupiter, Kloke Locomotive Works built another Leviathan, and they take it from place to place, running it at other RR museums. The sheer acreage of gleaming brass on it is jaw dropping. I think the way your steam dome gleams is spot on for the engine's era.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 06 2017 :  09:42:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Impressive work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - June 06 2017 :  11:48:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Really fine craftsmanship here darth. Please do put a video of it running!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 08 2017 :  9:03:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
I wish I could 'accidentally' finish something and it turned out that fine, nice work!
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - June 09 2017 :  12:20:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
Yes, very nice work, I especially like the polished brass and the split wood in the tender. Don't forget to add a fireman and engineer!! I too would like to see a video of this little beauty running!!
Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - June 09 2017 :  09:45:56 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
The title of this thread reminds me of a quote I like

"So, so is this safe?"
"According to the FDA, it is "generally accepted as safe""
"Generally accepted as safe? I would never go on a roller coaster that was "generally accepted as safe""

sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 09 2017 :  3:38:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Here's the video! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VRLgIM1L6g

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - June 09 2017 :  6:43:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Excellent work, what a beauty!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 09 2017 :  6:52:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I loves it! <3 <3<3

need to find one someday

the real one is stuffed & mounted in a museum
I believe the other one is too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - June 24 2017 :  8:07:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
How much can it pull?
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 25 2017 :  01:36:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
quote:
How much can it pull?

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - June 24 2017 :  8:07:38 PM

I haven't tested that, but it pulls as much as it needs. I've never tried it with more than 10 cars.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 26 2017 :  01:18:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I enjoyed the video Darth; both for seeing the General run and seeing your layout. Is that 4 X 8, or otherwise? That re-motoring is pretty slick. Did you have to modify the tender significantly to use the motor and flywheel? I noticed your comment about the cars maybe not being the right period for the General. Seems like just as many times, in vintage photos, you see clerestory roofed cars as you do the flat roofed cars, so I would think either way is appropriate. I was also checking out your "crossover"; is that a pre-built, or did you make that with turnouts and a 60 degree crossing? Which leads to my next question; what radius track are you using for the inner and outer lines? Thanks Darth. Fun to see your post.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - June 26 2017 :  6:33:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Thanks! The layout is 4' x 7'. I plan to finish the rest of it this year, and then start to working on some expansions to it. the crossing is made from 4 standard switches with a crossing and small track pieces in the middle to join it all. The outer loop has a 22" radius, and the inner loop is 18" radius.

The motor was actually an easy fit. I don't think I had to do more than file a small amount of metal from the frame, and then I just used some foam-rubber and glue to hold it all in.

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - June 26 2017 :  8:50:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
Very nice locomotive and layout too.
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - July 15 2017 :  8:49:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
Reposting the photos since I had to change over from Photobucket.

Previous Topic: Converting tender-drive to loco-drive question Topic Next Topic: western pacific engine  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000