Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Hornby OO trains also all other British trains
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: European HO, and OO trains Topic Next Topic: John English, HObbyline HO Trains.
Page: of 5

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 31 2021 :  04:11:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

BWOTW. British Wagon of the Week.

One of my favorite pieces, the Triang "Lord of the Isles." I think it was made in 1986, before
the China Boom, and it has solid brass gears and while a little fast for my liking, it runs pretty
darn good for what it is. Here she sets, with a rake bound for East Mursey-on-the-Smurf.

The English ball game of cricket. Some historians believe it was the basis for American baseball, but
fans of Cooperstown strongly disagree.

This is a Dapol model of a 500 year old church on the Island of Wight, off the Western coast of England.
By British standards, it is hardly broken in.

Another fave. This old girl has a lighted firebox and again, while a little speedy, typical for the vintage,
I do enjoy it so much. Firing up Henley and watching them run, a nice way to relax after a long week of work.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 06 2021 :  9:17:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Class 71 Electric by Hornby. Couldn't resist. I remember seeing these bumbling around the UK in about '67, when
I lived there. The white shoes, I believe, are for third rail pick up. Nice and heavy, but the electrical contacts on
the inner wheels look a bit dinky. Can't wait to fire it up. Some people collect oil cans and some collect barb
wire. I go yahyah for electrics.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 06 2021 :  10:29:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice updates and acquisitions, Chops! And I agree, it is always rewarding to blow off some steam after work, by running model trains.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 07 2021 :  11:50:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Dapol OO Great Western Railcar

These delightful motorized railcars graced the rails from 1934 to 1962 in the UK. The valence
gives this an unusual stream lined effect, and I wonder what the function of this attachment was.
Certainly it is doubtful they saved fuel and doubtful they added 1 mph to the top speed. Perhaps
it was an effort to keep unfortunate people from falling under the wheels?

Photographed next to a rendition of Stonehenge, I marvel at how Man went from stone axes to
Diesel Motor Cars. Yet, in their own right, the people that dragged these phenomenally heavy stones
hundreds of miles demonstrate that they were no less clever than we are, what with our silicon chips
and Mars landers. What they did is no less of an accomplishment using a stone and wood as their
primary tools.

Don't mean to get off track, but I find it endlessly fascinating all this stuff that came before, and what we
are so privileged to gaze upon now.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - March 08 2021 :  07:45:31 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Interesting British rail car, Chops!
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 08 2021 :  10:25:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Dapol OO Great Western Railcar
The valence gives this an unusual stream lined effect, and I wonder what the function of this attachment was. Certainly it is doubtful they saved fuel and doubtful they added 1 mph to the top speed. Perhaps it was an effort to keep unfortunate people from falling under the wheels?
Originally posted by Chops124 - March 07 2021 :  11:50:43 PM

1934 was a time when stationary objects were streamlined (think Art Deco). It may have been all for style and publicity with the streamlining being actually less practical than a more open and maintainable design.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 08 2021 :  10:55:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I reckon you put the hammer on the nail, Shags. Everything up until the Wright Brothers was boxy and
angular, and as the wing developed into the ultimate streamlined shape into the late twenties, early
thirties, it captured the imagination.

Come to think of it, in later editions, the valences were completely gone.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 08 2021 10:59:25 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 08 2021 :  3:25:39 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
now the REAL GWR railcar
only one in operation!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 25 2021 :  11:36:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Ooooh, that looks comfy.

I've been taking my time, breaking in this Bachmann "Duke Dog." Normally, I don't buy Bachmann, but
Sam's Reviews did a pretty thorough take down on this piece. So far, she runs like a gem. Tomorrow
we run some more...

Edited by - Chops124 on April 25 2021 11:37:29 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - April 26 2021 :  07:20:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice, Chops!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 02 2021 :  3:32:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Really like this old Triang mail coach. The door on the side is activated by a mechanical lever cleverly
hidden in the under carriage. The Tyco mail box car, probably a bit more practical, uses an electrical
ejection system.

This survivor comes from a wind-up Wrenn set I received 54 years ago in 1966 while living in England. I
loved it then, I love it now. It has survived 10,000's of miles of moves, stuff getting lost or damaged,
it is still pristine. It became the "seed" of Henley back in '89.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 02 2021 :  7:58:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Cool! I too like the baggage car.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 05 2021 :  09:04:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I've recently become addicted to Wrenn locos due to their beautiful build quality. They're definitely not the best runners out there, but their build quality is some of the best that I've seen. They're completely made of metal (with exceptions) and are beautifully simple and easy to work on. I currently have a Wrenn City of London, a Wrenn Cardiff Castle, a Triang Wrenn Sir Nigel Gresley, a Wrenn 4mt 80033, and I currently have a Hornby-Dublo 2-rail N2 69550 coming in the mail from Britain.Here's some photos of the engines in order.
City of London.

Cardiff Castle.

Sir Nigel Gresley.

4mt 80033.

N2 69550 (an image from the ebay listing itself since I don't have it in my hands yet).

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 05 2021 :  6:01:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wrenn is pretty awesome, seeing these photos makes me want
to consider going in that direction a bit more.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 05 2021 :  6:08:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

This survivor comes from a wind-up Wrenn set I received 54 years ago in 1966 while living in England. I
loved it then, I love it now. It has survived 10,000's of miles of moves, stuff getting lost or damaged,
it is still pristine. It became the "seed" of Henley back in '89.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 02 2021 :  3:32:01 PM

the character on the side is a golliwog
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golliwog
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 06 2021 :  02:52:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 05 2021 :  6:01:16 PM

You should! They're a bit pricey (to an extent), but they're well worth it for the build quality and charm alone. I can't wait to receive my first actual Hornby Dublo loco in the post. I'll make sure to let you guys know how that goes.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 06 2021 :  03:01:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 05 2021 :  6:01:16 PM

I would also like to add that I bought the Hornby Dublo N2 as a part of a set. This is a photo of it from the listing.

-Steve

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 06 2021 :  09:29:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
heh I'll be out looking for British trains next week

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 08 2021 :  11:58:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Why thank you, Kovacste, that is very nice of you to share this with the class. And may I just say,
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGH!
Love that cable car. Must find one now.

Mama Mia, Pizzaria! We got ourselves an Italiano Job, hera. The box said "Fragilee," so it must be
from Italia. Actually, it's a Lima of a somewhat generic Italian State Railways electric locomotive in
OO. I'd never have considered this, but for Sam's Train Review on UTube, and it sells for this ridiculously
low price like $25 plus another $8 in shipping all the way from the heart of China.

The thing is, that it actually works pretty good, or so said Sam's. And I LOVE electrics, I got copper wire in me instead of blood, so anything that runs on overhead or third rail is a bit of a fascination for me.
Haven't fired her up yet, but look forward to running some trains tomorrow, with her in the lead. She seems to follow the old Triang design with these over sized flanges, called "pizza cutters" and a big, fat, sturdy motor. So, I got high hopes! (Hopefully not a $25 paper weight).

Now, the cool thing is that pretty much anything with buffers, people think, "European," and hence she
will disguise easily into British OO Henley. I'd have to respectfully draw the line with German, which while
buffered, and European, really does have a distinctive Bavarian look.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 09 2021 12:00:10 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 18 2021 :  01:52:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
You know, Steve, I actually found that cable car at Elaine's Trains in the UK, asked her to order
me up one, and she never got back to me. Got to try her again.

I scored these two Playcraft coaches out of Phoenix the other week. Really nice vintage pieces to help
the denizens of Henley get into, or out of, town. Light, they will not overly tax the vintage British
head end power that will tasked to pull them. I had this one Grahm Farrish M1 coach, and that thing
was like a brick, and these will nicely replace it.

I have a weakness for the Spanish brand, Electrotren. While Iberian, most folks don't know these
are not British, because of the buffers. If I'm not mistaken, Spanish railways ran on a five foot gauge,
as well. I found this gem also Stateside, and snatched it up for $25. The other Electrotren olive oil
car I enjoy cost me $40 plus another $25 in international shipping, so this was a relative bargain.

It is a bit overwhelming, at times, to have a British layout, and a North American layout, but then
I can always remind myself that RP is just as bad as I am, what with the Pennsylvanian EVRR, the
Pure Tyco Layout, the German Layout, and the Santa Fe Heaven layout. Though he did break down
and repurposed the Horse Shoe Curve layout!

Myself, I only have Henley, Armodilloville, Mormon's Gulch, Smeltertown, the Subway Pike, and the
Camden & Amboy winter scape. I have plans in mind for another microlayout featuring the Everglades,
circa 1920.

Well, I could just hang a stupid painting on the wall...

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 19 2021 :  7:18:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Hey, Chops! I actually got one of Lima electric locos which you showed there. I gotta say, for the low price these go for, they're actually really good runners. They have flywheels, all wheels geared, a surprising amount of weight. The funny thing is, in order to take the shell off, you need to pull off all the buffers, just like when Lima first started using this casting in the 60's or 70's.Also, I have an Electrotren loco and two coaches, and the quality is surprisingly good. It reminds me a lot of Marklin locos. However, I have to give the engine (a 2-4-0 tank engine) a bit more power than I do with most of my engines, but it otherwise runs quite nicely (if noisily).Still haven't gotten the Hornby Dublo set, though (foreign packages seem to take forever to get here).
-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 19 2021 :  8:03:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice grab, Kovacste- yes that Lima was a buried gem. I really, really like
it.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 24 2021 :  04:03:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Nice grab, Kovacste- yes that Lima was a buried gem. I really, really like
it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - May 19 2021 :  8:03:47 PM

Oh yeah, me too. It has traction tires, which I find bizarre considering the nice amount of weight it has and the all wheel drive, but whatever. It doesn't seem to cause problems.Oh yeah, update on the Hornby Dublo N2 set. It finally arrived at the major hub not too far away from where I live, which means it'll probably be here either later today or tomorrow. I'll be sure to post some photos here when it does.

-Steve

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - May 25 2021 :  12:37:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
It finally arrived! It's absolutely gorgeous, too. The cable rolls on the flat car are actually made out of wood, the Mobil tank car is made out of tin, and the locomotive is made almost entirely out of metal.It ran extremely well with just a tiny bit of cleaning and regular lubrication. The only other thing I had to do was clip off the big plastic spike things coming off of the couplers because they kept hitting the switches.But now, the whole consist runs really nice and smoothly.This set dates to somewhere between around 1960 and around 1963 or 1964, meaning this was made just a little bit before Hornby Dublo was purchased by Triang. The quality is very similar to Wrenn, and if you've ever dealt with their locos, you know what to expect. There are some subtle differences, like some of the metals used for certain components and stuff like that, but otherwise, it's extremely similar. Here's some photos of this set as I received it.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 27 2021 :  6:45:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice classic British, Steve. I have that reel wagon on my must have list, but have to pay down my other
British grabs a bit, first.

This stuff sat unopened for three weeks, and I have barely unpacked it. I sold a pile of stuff on FeeBay,
only to turn around a buy a pile of stuff out of Britain. The locomotives I paid up for. I'm pretty much
done taking chances on expensive British pieces that don't work, so I read up on everything at
Sam's Review, who also reviews a little American, too. MAYBE I can break some of these pieces in
over the coming weekend...or maybe not.

Also with my herd money, I found a guy in the States who is selling off some Electrotren stock.
Electrotren is Spanish, and RN means RenFee, or roughly, State Railways of Spain, from what I've read
goes, or went, on a 5 foot gauge. Electrotren has a special place in my heart, and seeing it makes
my knees go weak. So, I picked up a couple...dozen, starting with these two unique wagons.

North Americans can't tell one Euro wagon from another, so they blend in nicely and give something
different to look at. Built to a high standard, these bits often command $40 a unit, plus international
shipping. Worth it, to me.

(I had posted pics, but they seem not to be uploading. Will check this out from home computer).

Edited by - Chops124 on May 27 2021 9:53:54 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - May 27 2021 :  9:06:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice British trains there, Chops and Steve. Cool!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 30 2021 :  01:32:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
So with proceeds from the Chops's Madness Fee Bay sale, I turned around and scooped some British
trains that had received high marks from Sam's Trains Reviews.

This Grand Lady is the Hornby T9. She really takes my breath away and rolls down my socks.

And this little angel is the Hornby Peckett.

Both these models are the high end stuff coming out of Britain right now. I am accustomed to
running Tyco, and old Triang, so this is like a major step up for me. They are both being
carefully broken in, as I write, and both run like silk through all speed ranges, particularly in
the slow and moderate speeds, where we typically like to see our stuff run- not like bloody
jack rabbits.

I got a third, Rapido, piece I need to break in tomorrow. Then I got another Hornby Wainright
coming my way, later in June. And that's going to be it, for a while.

I picked up a second and third olive oil jug car made by Electrotren for the Spanish State Railway.
I first got an Electrotren piece in Wales in 1975, and treasured it for its uniqueness and
sophisticated build. Then some movers threw it away when I was mustering out of the Army
in 1991, and I swear I spent the next 15 years scouring the world wide web for another, without
a lick of success. Not even warm. Then one turned up in Britain about five years ago, and I
jumped on it, then last couple of months one turned up in Arizona and another in France, again,
and blammo, I was on it like a shot.

The twig car and the crystal car were lucky finds, I didn't know they existed, also from Arizona.

Edited by - Chops124 on May 30 2021 02:01:58 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 13 2021 :  12:19:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

My new French girl by Joeuf. With the buffers, she fits right into British Henley, in OO.

J97 Tram by Rapido. I've never spent quite so much money on a piece before, but Rapido has this
Gold Standard rating for European trains. You might recognize this as "Toby" from Thomas the Tank
series. So long have I wanted one, I was considering buying a Toby and prying the dumb face off it.
Sorry, Blax, your faces are much better. Ironically, some of the best detail, like the complicated side
rods, are buried underneath the wooden skirts. Then, too, it has brake rigging and interior cab and
locomotive detail. It runs like a jewel. Seen here with an Electrotren tourist coach, used for Nessie
Watching, the hidden side rods are less likely to scare off the beast. As they were originally designed
to not scare horses and dry up cows.

Trix are for kids, stupid rabbit, or not. This four wheeler of a W. German coach blends right in to
the British landscape. Got it just for the cool factor.

Another SNFC piece. I believe I rode on these when in France back in '77. Electrotren.

A 1920's era SNFC coach.

And another SNFC carriage. Electrotren.

And another

'nother

'nother

And so on. I found this guy who was trying to get out from underneath his Electrotren stuff
stateside. At one time, these would have fetched a pretty penny, but I was able to scoop up
a box full of the stuff for under a Franklin. Hopefully, I'll have the time, and energy, to
fire some of this stuff up tomorrow.

I was able to finance this spree by unloading some redundant Tyco and Athearn stuff, some sold
well, some sold not so well, on FeeBay. Still need to do some herd thinning, just have to be careful
not to bite off a chunk of seller's regret.

Still looking for the Hornby Cable Drum Wagon, Steve. Elaine's Trains had one up, then it went,
has another, but it is beat to heck and back. One in Australia, the guy wants 50 US plus $25
shipping, eh, no thanks. Not that desperate yet.

From the couplers, I am thinking that your pieces are of the AC three rail type. The axles will be
steel connected to steel wheels, so it will short out in a blaze on DC track. However, I was able to
make a quick fix on some AC Electrotren pieces by simple applying a drop of liquid Super Glue
to the tread, and letting it circle the wheel. This insulated it adequately to use on DC. It will wear
off with time, but it's a quick and dirty fix.

Was reading a Wiki-article, that stated that Hornby from '58 to '62 was making both an AC and a DC
version of every piece of rolling stock. This was a financial disaster and drove the company into
bankruptcy. The plastic wheeled DC stuff worked OK on AC, but not vice-versa. They ended up making
nobody happy. That, and those couplers only work with those couplers.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 13 2021 12:39:01 AM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 13 2021 :  12:05:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Cool new acquisitions there, Chops!

Being a fan of N-Gauge German model trains, I understand the difficulty in finding such "foreign" trains at good prices, let alone in the US.

Edited by - RP model railroads on June 13 2021 12:05:44 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 13 2021 :  12:43:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Every now and then, something turns up, by rare it is. This came up, and
I pounced.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 12 2021 :  5:23:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
It was Ben who first posted this ad from British Rail, a couple of years ago, and ever since, when
I found out they actually made a model of it, I simply had to have one. I've been looking for
years, without luck, until I posted an inquiry on a British Model Rail forum I participate on. Within
an hour someone directed me to this one:

https://youtu.be/UexudZ4aOUk

Come to find out they actually ran it around in that livery as a promo, for a while, too:

(which I cannot seem to download). But here is mine:

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 12 2021 :  6:52:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ARRRGGHHH!!! I wants one!!!
I'll add a blue light to both sides too!

Course I do wants a InterCity 125 as well

Edited by - microbusss on October 12 2021 6:53:52 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 12 2021 :  9:35:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice HO British Police diesel, Chops!

That is a Deltic-type, right?

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 13 2021 :  02:18:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Hah! I finally made Ben jealous. Usually, in the jealousy wars
he beats me out badly.

An interesting question, if this is the "Deltic" type, so I tried
to do a little digging. The Deltic type apparently refers to a
diesel motor design in which the pistons opposed each other
in a delta formation of four pistons that reached their apex
opposed to the opposite cylinder head, thus removing the
need for a traditional flat slab of steel cylinder head.
This design was created for the purpose of a lighter weight diesel
engine, like for submarine use, that would produce more power from
a smaller, and lighter, configuration. Submarines, of course,
need a lot of power and space is at a premium. I believe they were not terribly
successful in locomotives, and were given to over heating and
even catching on fire from the heavy loads. It seems this
locomotive, the Class 37, was designed as an alternative
replacement for the Deltic type of locomotive.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 14 2021 2:35:13 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 13 2021 :  4:21:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yes Class 37 they call it
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Rail_Class_37

yes I AM jelly-oh-so you got that Police loco!

Also this the one I posted before & its better in Full Screen
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN7naLLeB0A

Edited by - microbusss on October 13 2021 4:29:11 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 13 2021 :  10:47:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Ah, so it's a Class 37. Cool!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 07 2021 :  02:20:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
So, I just got a beautiful Hornby Dublo Barnstaple (2-rail) shipped to me all the way from across the pond a few weeks ago. It's a bit stuttery when she first starts up (most of my old Hornby Dublo/Wrenn locos seem to behave in somewhat similar ways in that regard), but once she's up and running, she's absolutely lovely.

-Steve

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - November 07 2021 :  09:12:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Nice English Loco, it reminds me of a couple of English Hornby locos Brian (Brainstyco) showed me at the train show yesterday. He had both boxed, a A4 "The Mallard", and a F9 decapod "Evening Star". They looked great to me. I do regret not getting them, even though I do have those two already, mine are not in original boxes. I am saving what I have for the Allentown First frost train show. I am still looking for a larger boxed HObbyline passenger set, and that is the place to possibly find one. I am not fussy so the PRR , Up, WP, Erie, or the impossible B&O set would do nicely. I think I'll give up on this dream after Allentown. Then I'll just stumble around just looking for whatever I can find. It means going around those two big hall once just looking for a boxed passenger set. After that trying to remember what and where I seen stuff i liked.
I should have asked Brian if he was going to be at Allentown on Saturday.

frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 07 2021 :  09:24:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That is a beauty, Steve. Interesting how your vintage piece has
a hook and link assembly instead of a tension lock coupler on
the front. Clearly, they were trying to keep this piece tight as
they could to realism. The cigar banding on the cylinders and
the boiler is fabulous.

I liked your cable drum wagon so much,
I had to go and find one for Henley. Cost me a fortune, including
shipping, but it is worth it.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - November 07 2021 :  3:47:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
That is a beauty, Steve. Interesting how your vintage piece has
a hook and link assembly instead of a tension lock coupler on
the front. Clearly, they were trying to keep this piece tight as
they could to realism. The cigar banding on the cylinders and
the boiler is fabulous.

I liked your cable drum wagon so much,
I had to go and find one for Henley. Cost me a fortune, including
shipping, but it is worth it.

Originally posted by Chops124 - November 07 2021 :  09:24:17 AM

This is definitely one of my favorite Hornby Dublo/Wrenn locos due to just how beautiful she is. This is actually one of Hornby Dublo's later models (they started making it in around 1960 or 1961), so it's also one of their more detailed models. Honestly, I would consider Hornby Dublo/Wrenn to be the Mantua of England.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 07 2021 :  4:16:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
A good parallel. You really hit the jack pot on that loco.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 07 2021 :  6:20:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Ah, so it's a Class 37. Cool!

Originally posted by RP model railroads - October 13 2021 :  10:47:53 PM

YES! I also want the InterCity 125 too!

I should find ALL my BR stuffs
MINUS & it won't count anyway Thomas & Friends!
lets put those in a different thread ok?
good idea?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 07 2021 :  9:27:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice steamer, Steve!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 04 2021 :  3:06:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
FSOW (French Set of the Week)

Took a chance and put down 100 clams on this untested French commuter set. Definitely European,
but while not exactly fitting the British ethic (who cares), it looked super cool, super fast. Right of the
box, the wheels showed no sign of tread wear, and with original Joeuf track in perfect condition, I am
sure to find a use for it somewhere. Put the power to her, and she cruises so fine, so sweet. So glad
I nailed this puppy. I was watching it on feeBay for weeks thinking, nah, then well yeah, then nah, and
so forth.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 31 2021 :  8:43:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Lovely Hornby Peckett pulling a trio of Hornby Three axle coaches (2) and one two axle.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 02 2022 :  3:09:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Put the Hornby Peckett out to work again, along side the Hornby Terrier. Gearing is nicely low on both
critters, making for a smooth ride.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 02 2022 :  10:58:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Yeah, as exhibited in your videos, those are some smooth running steam locomotives, Chops.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 08 2022 :  8:14:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Bachmann Duke Dog on the new Henley. I am very careful about buying Bachmann as the
quality control varies from excellent to intolerably poor. This one is excellent. I am still having
trouble with a small gradient caused between two baseboards, and this little bird struggles on it.
When I get it sorted will shoot a preliminary video.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 10 2022 :  11:30:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Hornby Pullman in OO. The interiors are decorated and all seats are booked.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - May 11 2022 :  10:26:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I could not stay away from this thread for any longer. It is just to reminiscing for me. Lots of memories of Ken and me and the trains that crossed the pond in both directions.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic: European HO, and OO trains Topic Next Topic: John English, HObbyline HO Trains.  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.75 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000