Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 6 ]  [ Total: 6 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Hornby OO trains also all other British trains
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page | Next Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: European HO, and OO trains Topic Next Topic: John English, HObbyline HO Trains.
Page: of 5

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 29 2020 :  09:15:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
With all the bad luck you have had with things not running, I wouldn't have bought it untested. Especially when you said you paid a lot for it. Well, I hope it fires up!

If it doesn't, try hanging some catenary, that could be the problem
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 29 2020 :  09:47:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
to my mind the 90s onwards clerestory coaches made by hornby are there best,if you see them grab them the paintwork and details inside and out are brilliant,ken

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 29 2020 :  7:19:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

New edition to the fleet. This much I know, it is an electric, it is very light, Hornby, and probably dates
to around 1970's. I paid a pretty pence for this used model, I hope it works. I do not require more door
stops.

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 29 2020 :  01:01:08 AM

With places like EBay, you gotta be careful in that regard. I always try to buy locos that I know I can fix if they have issues straight out of the box. The only time that wasn’t 100% the case was when I bought an old Piko E44 from 1953. The issue that old girl has (I’ll post photos at some point) is that the magnets on the motor are very weak. I have some ideas on how to fix that to get it running well again, but yeah. The point is to be careful and get things you know you can most likely fix if it’s marked as untested (and even if it has been tested). Those old Triang locos usually don’t require much to get running again unless their motors are burned out. The only reason I don’t have more Triang locos is because the big wheel flanges have issues on my track.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 29 2020 :  7:39:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I will try to fire this girl up tonight. I believe I was snookered, not
what I ordered to begin with, but sat too long in its box before
I opened it to see what was inside. Will update.

Those celestory coaches are magnificent. Would they be classified as
Victorian or Eduardian era? I've never seen those before.

Edited by - Chops124 on June 29 2020 11:41:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 30 2020 :  09:06:44 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi chops the clerestory coaches started life in the 1870/80s lit by gas,were later modified to electric before being put to pasture,many becoming holiday homes,ken
https://www.warwickshirerailways.com/gwr/gwrhj3033.htm

catfordken

Edited by - catfordken on June 30 2020 09:08:38 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 30 2020 :  09:13:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
you might also enjoy this video,ken

catfordken

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - June 30 2020 :  10:04:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by catfordken - June 30 2020 :  09:13:33 AM

Sam's trains is the best!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 30 2020 :  11:27:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Originally posted by catfordken - June 30 2020 :  09:13:33 AM

Ah, Samstrains. Great guy to watch if you're interested in any particular British 00 gauge loco from the likes of Triang all the way to modern Hornby. He's made some videos on American locos, too, from the likes of Bachmann and Mehano. Love his videos.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 30 2020 :  11:27:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Great video, and Sam's baseboard is most innovative.
Have you heard anything about the availability of the
reissued Hornby Rocket set?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - June 30 2020 :  11:29:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Great video, and Sam's baseboard is most innovative.
Have you heard anything about the availability of the
reissued Hornby Rocket set?

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 30 2020 :  11:27:07 AM

I know I haven't. However, I have seen videos of the thing running, and it seems substantially better in nearly every way (especially in terms of running performance) than the original Triang model. I honestly feel like the Triang model was meant more as a novelty to be displayed than something to actually be run considering how poorly they run and the fact that their motors seem to burn out so easily. I definitely want one of Hornby's reissued Rocket sets, though. Love those old style locos.

-Steve

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 30 2020 :  11:33:45 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
yes chops all at hornby have sold out,no idea when next lot will be available,dealers bought them all up,i wonder why (greed is one idea,so they can wack up the price already at ÂŁ179 for the dcc ready version
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PAWYUSq-nk

catfordken

Edited by - catfordken on June 30 2020 11:36:49 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 30 2020 :  11:53:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Guess I'll see if I can back order one. No surprise it sold out.

Anyways, this is the last video I did on British OO, really want to do some more, now the locks in.
Ken, please note the Neolithic Catford Urns and AH Peppercorn and rake.

https://youtu.be/z_sYkqHpK60

Edited by - Chops124 on June 30 2020 3:45:46 PM

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - June 30 2020 :  4:09:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
will do
catfordken

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 05 2020 :  4:02:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

This is the "blind date." Turns out is a Triang Electra, based on an actual British electric locomotive
primarily used in commuter service. Finally switched it on last night, and she runs beautifully.
Got lucky!.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 05 2020 :  4:03:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Glad to hear it worked out. Looks like a nice engine!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 23 2020 :  7:29:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I recently purchased a beautiful Wrenn City of London (made sometime around 1974 to 1980, based on the information I could find online) all the way from across the pond. It came in the box with the little instruction booklet on how to service the loco. It was not particularly cheap, as it was about $140 with shipping (would've been a little less than $100 without shipping), but it is extremely well made and a fairly good runner (although it definitely prefers going at a faster speed). It is also surprisingly serviceable. It's easy to take apart and put back together, and it's also extremely easy to replace parts on the loco. Very well designed. The photos I have here are mostly from the Ebay listing, but the last one is the loco on my display shelf.

Since I've received it, I've cleaned the wheels, pickups, commutator, brushes, and the body of the locomotive, as it was very dusty. I then lubricated all the parts outlined in the manual and made some minor adjustments to improve performance. Now, she runs fairly well around my main layout.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 23 2020 7:32:20 PM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - July 23 2020 :  9:01:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Cool! Wish I could find Japanese locos that didn't break the bank. Same thing for Russian lokies.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - July 23 2020 :  10:47:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Great British electric locomotive, Chops!

Love that Steam Locomotive!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 23 2020 :  11:36:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Aye Steven, what a beauty, and a nice classic Wren, at that.
You ever get tired of her, just PM your old pal, “Chops...”

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - July 24 2020 :  02:36:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Aye Steven, what a beauty, and a nice classic Wren, at that.
You ever get tired of her, just PM your old pal, “Chops...”

Originally posted by Chops124 - July 23 2020 :  11:36:05 PM

Thanks. The hardest part about working on this guy was actually adjusting the little bearing screw on the top of the motor! The way it is now is as close to being good as I can get it in that regard. If you're wondering what I'm talking about, watch this video. The part that goes into what I'm referring to is about 15-16 minutes in onwards.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on July 24 2020 02:37:38 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 09 2020 :  8:08:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Retired this Triang Rocket about 30 years ago. It burned up its brushes after about
12 hours of use, and try as I might, repairing it was well nigh impossible.

Sucked it up and lay down 250 clams to import this Hornby reissue. Maybe fire it up tonight.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 09 2020 :  10:04:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Even still, your original "Rocket" must be an awesome display piece on the layout. Looks good sitting beside the engine shed.

Can't wait to see the "new" "Rocket" in action.

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 09 2020 :  11:13:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I confess, I do rather like that photo. Probably see if I can sell the
set on eBay as a static display piece.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 10 2020 :  09:37:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I confess, I do rather like that photo. Probably see if I can sell the
set on eBay as a static display piece.

Originally posted by Chops124 - August 09 2020 :  11:13:49 PM

bet I could get my friend to get it running hehe
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 11 2020 :  12:32:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

The Hornby reissued Rocket. Has a DCC plug inside the water barrel. No, after
all the things I've read on DCC forums I have decided to abandon DCC for good.
Every other post is "...doesn't work..."

I am taking my sweet time braking this in slowly. The couplers are little plastic
"chains," and it will take a little gentle flexing before they all settle down and
behave. The coaches are so light as to be easily lifted off the rails by the stiffness
of the chains, but we are getting things ironed out slowly.

Speaking of slow, this thing has a sweet low speed range. The old Triang, bless her
heart, was either full on or full off. I enjoyed it when I could, but she is destined
for eBay as a static display piece- I really don't need to accumulate non-working
stuff.

I paid up for this little set, but it was worth every penny. It is one of my favorite locomotives
of all time, and Hornby really got it right.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 11 2020 :  07:47:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
It's amazing they can fit a motor in something that small. Truly ingenious.

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - August 11 2020 :  2:56:01 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
From everything I've seen, the difference between the new Hornby release and the old Triang loco is the difference between night and day. This new Hornby model, although it's definitely not perfect, is miles ahead of the Triang. Every video I've seen of it shows it running extremely well for its size. Good find, Chops.
-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on August 11 2020 2:57:20 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 11 2020 :  4:40:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
It's amazing they can fit a motor in something that small. Truly ingenious.

Originally posted by BlaxlandAlex3 - August 11 2020 :  07:47:29 AM

The original Triang was actually in S scale, by the numbers. This to allow the motor into the
boiler. The motor, about the size of an N scale motor, was open frame, sort of pressed
together and did not perform well.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - August 30 2020 :  12:47:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
BLOTW: Oxford Rails Dean Goods.

This got a failing review in "Sam's Trains," an excellent website that gives a thorough and honest
appraisal of new model trains, a lot of British stuff, but some American Range. Sam was quite
decent about it, however, and gave a second review of this locomotive that worked perfectly.
As I have to import this stuff from the UK, my shipping costs are typically $45 and a month
or more delay, so returning it would require an additional expenditure of $90 round trip if it
is scrum.

Lucky for me, and Sam (on the second attempt), the model worked perfectly out of the box
(phew, Batman) and is presently being gently broke in on the Henley layout. It has a perfect
speed range, runs slow sweetly, and has detail as good as any brass model. There is even a tiny
loop and chain, like the prototype, to attach to the buffer beam. In short, it is every bit a gem, and
the Dean Goods is one of my favorite British range locomotives, as it represents a time when
steam locomotive technology was really starting to expand.

Check out this back boiler detail!

State of the art: 1883. What a beauty!!

This piece enthralls me.

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - August 30 2020 :  07:54:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
I love it! That really is some fabulous cab detail!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - August 30 2020 :  10:13:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That is an amazing locomotive!

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 13 2020 :  7:07:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:

Fresh in from the "Doll House" of Glasgow, Scotland (dinkydoll on eBay): a Joeuf
D6100 in beautiful condition, with a three set of Joeuf wagons. The treads show
very little wear, so hopefully with a decent lubrication she will fire up nicely.
The wagons are also Joeuf, my very first, and they are interesting in that
while plain, they are sturdy and nicely proportioned- meant to be used
by little hands. They also show no tread wear or other damage. Joeuf, was
a French company that built sturdy OO French, and also some British,
outlines. I believe they were bought out by Hornby.

Originally posted by Chops124 - April 14 2018 :  01:54:27 AM

Hey, Chops (and everyone else, I guess)! I finally got my hands on one of the Playcraft Jouef D6100 locos on Ebay. I just purchased it a little earlier today for a little more than $20 with shipping and tax.Looking forward to seeing this unique piece of UK model railroading history! They look extremely well made.These pictures I'm about to post are from the Ebay listing, by the way.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 14 2020 :  12:47:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Congrats, welcome to the D6100 club! The are fun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=bnh1gvChHWQ

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 14 2020 :  07:43:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

New edition to the fleet. This much I know, it is an electric, it is very light, Hornby, and probably dates
to around 1970's. I paid a pretty pence for this used model, I hope it works. I do not require more door
stops.

Originally posted by Chops124 - June 29 2020 :  01:01:08 AM

With places like EBay, you gotta be careful in that regard. I always try to buy locos that I know I can fix if they have issues straight out of the box. The only time that wasn’t 100% the case was when I bought an old Piko E44 from 1953. The issue that old girl has (I’ll post photos at some point) is that the magnets on the motor are very weak. I have some ideas on how to fix that to get it running well again, but yeah. The point is to be careful and get things you know you can most likely fix if it’s marked as untested (and even if it has been tested). Those old Triang locos usually don’t require much to get running again unless their motors are burned out. The only reason I don’t have more Triang locos is because the big wheel flanges have issues on my track.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - June 29 2020 :  7:19:11 PM

Well Chops here is your doublended electric with its original name and number.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 14 2020 :  10:00:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
That’s a stone cold beauty, Frank. Never saw an electric I didn’t love. 💕

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 18 2020 :  12:46:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I finally received my D6100 Jouef loco this morning. It's absolutely bizarre. There's this giant can motor which connects to these strange carousel looking gears on either end, which then turn to turn another gear at the bottom, which in turn turns the other gears on the wheels, moving the loco. It is one of the most efficient locomotives I've ever seen, as it puts out practically no current draw at all. It's also extremely free rolling. You just slightly push it and it rolls. It picks up power using 4 brass cylinder brushes (two for each axle, picking up power from one bogie only). The way the brushes spring is by some brass bars directly above the brushes which press down on them due to being screwed into place. The power goes from those brass bars up directly into the chassis itself, where it gets transmitted into the motor. The buffers on the model are not original, as the original loco had only flat "buffers" that were molded in. These buffers on my model are not only well put on, they are also sprung!The Triang-style couplers on the loco date this to around the early 1960's, meaning that it is nearly 60 years old. It's a fairly well made engine, I will say that much. The running performance is surprisingly good for an engine of its era. Much better than I was expecting, for sure.I will say that it does seem to be a bit finicky when it first runs (even after lubrication and full cleaning), but it smoothes out extremely quickly.

-Steve

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 18 2020 :  02:02:26 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I just love my D6100s. They remind me of older Tyco, British style.
I'm going to spray out the contacts with some electrical cleaner, that
crazy design appears to be the root of all evil with these critters, or
at least I hope. The motor, yeah, is big as a cabbage, and nice solid
metal gears that won't split!!

Seeing this post, I made yet another attempt to get the seller, in France,
to drop his price a tad, on this set. Why this set, I ask myself. What earthly
use do I have for this thing? Don't I have enough projects stacked up to
keep me busy for the next ten years? What if it is a dud? Heaven knows it
won't be the first time. It is just.so.quirky.Must.have. And, I have a little cashola
in the PayPal account from the Chopomania sale. Believe you/me, that stuff went
out the door at fire sale prices, like the Busy Bee Department store. Lost my lease,
and my shirt. But time to recycle the moolah.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 18 2020 02:21:08 AM

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - October 18 2020 :  08:48:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
Ah, recycling the moolah, I've got something arriving tomorrow that I've bought with the money earned from selling stuff!

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - October 18 2020 :  2:40:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That looks like an interesting set, Chops. Go for it.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 07 2020 :  6:58:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Got a set of these three "Blood and Custard" coaches for the Hornby Electra. The Electra is a grand old piece,
but is cranky and doesn't pull terribly well. I selected these coaches because they are light and roll pretty easily,
which will help Old Cranky out.

I thought long and hard about the TransCon set, but decided I really don't need more vintage cranky stuff that
might or might not work. I've had several vintage, and new, British items completely fail out on me at no small
loss. I tried to negotiate with the seller, who is in France, and he won't budge a Euro on the cost, but has had it
posted for better part of a year.

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 07 2020 :  10:00:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Looks nice, Chops!

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 13 2020 :  4:45:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Still got my foot in two canoes. Finally got these fabulous Third Class Open Carriages from Hornby.
The back story on the prototypes is that they were quickly done away with as passengers, unaccustomed
to any mode of conveyance greater than 3 mph, like an ox cart, frequently fell over the sides as they
bounced along at 20 to 25 mph and ladies would loose their hats in the slipstream, gallant fellow lunging
for them, and over they would go. True story. On imagines cinders would also be quite problematic, as
they often were on American counterparts. To clarify, these coaches are first generation British.

Check out the coupling chains.

Then I picked up a rake of these vintage Triang coaches, not typical passenger coaches, I think they
had something to do with parcels service, and for the Southern Railway (of Britain) not because I had
a gap in my roster, but simply because they are different and vintage and British, and from a stateside
seller, so I didn't get reamed for shipping costs. One the carriages from Hornby I got to pay a hot
price, although they are exquisite, but then got put back in the oven to be incinerated by tariffs and shipping
charges.

Seriously, does anyone know what the function of this type of coach was?

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - December 13 2020 :  10:37:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice coaches, Chops! They look great on Henley.

I too wonder what function those cars served.....

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 27 2020 :  11:54:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

My British friends tell me that the green coaches above were used for parcel deliveries, much like UPS delivery vans, but delivered to the depot, and from there delivered locally.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 19 2021 :  6:33:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

A High Wheeler simmers, ready to take Britains to all points on the compass.

The Lord of the Isles, having been refitted from broad to standard gauge, readies to leave in the
evening mist.

Chops's Rail Tours always ready to go on the hunt for Nessie.

Almost a century later, Henley Station is still a busy place. Efficient rail service speeds people
in comfort and safety.

The Numidia Salt Mine has retrieved a whopper. In ancient times, Rome used to send convicts
to labor and to perish in the Salt Mines of Numidia. This is a pun on the workplace.

The peaked roof of the specialized salt wagon sheds English rains.

Britain was a Roman province for nearly 400 years. Vast amounts of Roman artifacts, including these
mosaics, turn up on a regular basis.

A thousand years later, majestic castles dotted the land, replete with knights in armor. Here a
re-enactment takes place in Castle Henley, of a jousting tournament.

The British landmass was once at the equator, and is packed with prehistoric fossils. Here a triceratops
emerges from deep time.

Fresh fruits and vegetables from the verdant farmland.

Goes well with a leg of mutton.

Edited by - Chops124 on January 19 2021 6:36:08 PM

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 20 2021 :  08:24:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Nice photos, Chops!

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - January 20 2021 :  10:56:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Wonderful collection Jeff.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5870  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - January 24 2021 :  4:30:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Holiday Makers in Henley, 1927, on the hunt to find Nessie.

Hornby High Wheeler taking on boarders.

Chops's Loch Ness Watching Tours leaving Henley Station, pulled by a Hornby Terrier.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 24 2021 :  8:07:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if you need another of those gated crossing hit me up
I have 2 new ones
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - January 24 2021 :  10:05:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
Cool, Chops! Love the "Schweppes" ad on the double-decker bus.

Page: of 5 Previous Topic: European HO, and OO trains Topic Next Topic: John English, HObbyline HO Trains.  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000