Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Bachmann Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 Preproduction Found(?)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Some questions about the Bachmann ultradome Topic Next Topic: GS-4 shell boiler diameter?  

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 06 2016 :  8:00:07 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I was minding my own business on Ebay when I found this interesting item. http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-Spectrum-2-8-0-Steam-Loco-Reading-Operating-Pre-production-Sample-/252668122980?hash=item3ad4319764:g:LGEAAOSwo4pYOk6q
Here's the description for this thing: "Operating Pre-production Sample of HO 2-8-0 Consolidation Steam Locomotive, Reading #2005 from Bachmann's Spectrum HO line. This model has been test run and operates. Slight smudges on the tender. The 2-8-0 Consolidation HO Spectrum model was awarded Model of the Year in 1998 by Model Railroader magazine and was part of my late dad's personal collection. He was the long-time head of product development for Bachmann and the father of the company's Spectrum line of model trains launched in 1988."

Huh.... A part of me thinks that this model isn't actually a preproduction sample but is just a regular Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0 some guy decided to basically get some extra cash off of by claiming it's a pre-production model. But another part of me thinks that it could potentially be legit. One of the biggest indicators is the fact that I don't believe Bachmann ever made a Spectrum Reading 2-8-0. Yes, they've made a Reading 2-8-0, but not under the Spectrum lineup. Very odd....

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on December 07 2016 2:47:30 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 06 2016 :  11:07:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
It's a 2-8-0 and it's lettered for Reading, but it's definitely not their classic Reading Consolidation with the Wooten Firebox. In fact, it's got an oil bunker in the tender, which doesn't seem very likely on an old Anthracite line like the Reading.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 06 2016 :  11:04:20 PM

Yeah. Assuming this model is a prototype model, that could be why this livery was never actually produced for this model.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 06 2016 :  11:08:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
It's lettered for Reading, but it's just their newer 2-8-0 and not based on a Reading prototype as were the old Bachmann and Bachmann Plus models.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 06 2016 :  11:10:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
It's a 2-8-0 and it's lettered for Reading, but it's definitely not their classic Reading Consolidation with the Wooten Firebox. In fact, it's got an oil bunker in the tender, which doesn't seem very likely on an old Anthracite line like the Reading.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 06 2016 :  11:04:20 PM

Yeah. Assuming this model is a prototype model, that could be why this livery was never actually produced for this model.

Originally posted by kovacste000 - December 06 2016 :  11:07:00 PM

What's quoted there, I later deleted. On closer inspection, I noticed that it is not an oil bunker. Pardon the misidentification.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 06 2016 :  11:17:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
It's lettered for Reading, but it's just their newer 2-8-0 and not based on a Reading prototype as were the old Bachmann and Bachmann Plus models.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - December 06 2016 :  11:08:35 PM

Oh, it's fine. I was just typing that when you deleted it, I guess. Another interesting thing is that I actually looked through a bunch of old Model Railroader magazines earlier today and found the introduction of the 1998 Bachmann Spectrum 2-8-0. In that article, the model is without any road name decals. It's in the same livery as the Reading loco shown in this EBay listing but without any Reading decals on it. This leads me to wonder... If this loco wasn't (supposedly) used by Model Railroader, then what exactly did Bachmann use it for? I'm assuming that if it is in fact a prototype model that it was most likely used by Bachmann at conventions back in '98 to show it off, more or less.

-Steve

Edited by - kovacste000 on December 06 2016 11:18:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - December 07 2016 :  5:31:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Interesting but like to see more proof! I could type up a story as such and up sell a model.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - December 07 2016 :  7:43:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Interesting but like to see more proof! I could type up a story as such and up sell a model.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - December 07 2016 :  5:31:58 PM

Yeah. That's why I'm skeptical.

-Steve

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - December 07 2016 :  8:01:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Looks production to me. Even if it was a pre-production sample it doesn't look any different from a regular production model. Besides, the old Spectrum line is pretty cheap and I don't think there are many collectors for it.
Tyco however.......
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Some questions about the Bachmann ultradome Topic Next Topic: GS-4 shell boiler diameter?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000