Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 36 ]  [ Total: 36 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Maintenance & Repair Shop
 Mantua Plymouth Yard Diesel problems
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mallard Woes Topic Next Topic: Paint Strippers  

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - December 04 2016 :  10:47:56 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
I bought a Mantua Plymouth Yard Diesel at the local train show for $10, and when I got it home I took it apart to add new couplers (the originals were broken). Now, after putting it back together again many, many times, and cleaning the wheels thoroughly, it kind of works. When first put on the track, it will run. Then, it'll run it bursts and spurts if you squeeze the sides slightly. Taking it back off and putting it back on the track will again make it run for a short time fine. Also, the most concerning problem, IT SHOOTS SPARKS! It seems to kick sparks out from under the chassis when running occasionally, and I doubt that's supposed to happen. Could anyone help me here?
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator 

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - December 04 2016 :  11:13:13 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
What you have is a dirt problem. Somewhere along the electrical pathway, there is resistance, you need to take apart the whole engine, chassis, etc and CLEAN EVERYTHING thoroughly. Polish all brass points of contact, from the brush levers, etc. When it arcs and sparks, it's a continuity issue. something still isn't right.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Retired Alex
Big Six

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - December 04 2016 :  1:26:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Retired Alex to Buddylist
You also may want to check the wheel clearances, ie. how much side to side play is there in the wheels in the trucks?
I only mention this because I had the same problem with a 10 wheeler. Turns out there was enough side play in one wheel set that allowed the insulated wheel to periodically touch the frame and sparks would fly.
May not be your problem but something to consider.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 265  ~  Member Since: March 07 2014  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AF Kid
Mikado

JerseyCentralAvatar

Posted - March 23 2020 :  8:51:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add AF Kid to Buddylist
What might be missing are the little insulators at each end of the side frames. You will not find them if they are missing. I made my own by using paper spackle tape and cutting the replacement to fit using the small Swiss Army knife scissors. The have to be boxed shape to work.....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 650  ~  Member Since: April 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 24 2020 :  03:13:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What is that high pressure spray for electrical contacts and
Where can it be found, and does it work?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - March 24 2020 :  05:05:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
Don't use corrosive sprays for cleaning electrical contacts. You'll just dissolve the insulation on the motor windings.

Mantua motors aren't the best runners to begin with. Two axle locomotives have the worst electrical pickup of anything in the HO world. Combine the two, and you get a locomotive that runs mildly decently at best.

It sounds like you have an intermittent short somewhere in your locomotive. You need to find where it's occuring. Are the wheel pickup contacts situated correctly? Are the metal sideframes sitting in their plastic end holders all the way?

If you can upload some good, in focus photos, we have a better chance of helping you diagnose your engine correctly.

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

BlaxlandAlex3
Big Boy

Jupiterpfp2

Posted - March 24 2020 :  10:10:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add BlaxlandAlex3 to Buddylist
quote:
What is that high pressure spray for electrical contacts and
Where can it be found, and does it work?

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 24 2020 :  03:13:59 AM

I believe it is CRC electrical cleaner/ contact spray. Something like that. I haven't used it in a while, But maybe I will try it near the pivoting truck points on my mantua. I was using it when I was a novice with repairs. Some 3 years ago. I'm not sure where I got it from, maybe a hardware store, or walmart.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1549  ~  Member Since: October 10 2019  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 24 2020 :  7:37:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks, got a couple of cranky locomotives that need a spray out.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 29 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mallard Woes Topic Next Topic: Paint Strippers  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000