Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 32 ]  [ Total: 32 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 US-1 Firebird (unpowered)
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Working Wig Wags for US-1 Grade Crossings Topic Next Topic: What Is It?  

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 25 2016 :  11:28:57 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Hello Again from the UK.

I love my US-1 and am always impressed by how well all the operating features work, except that is when I try to get the wrecking truck to collect the unpowered Firebird.

It will back on and pick it up, but then drops it almost straight away!

Then I was idly flicking through some images on the chassis identification section of modelmotorist.com and saw this:

http://www.modelmotorist.com/web-content/tudcl.jsp

I then realised that my unpowered Firebird is missing the metal plate! This could perhaps explain the poor results I am getting!

Looking at both the car and the truck together on some track I am trying to work out exactly what the metal bid was for? It does not seem to interact with the tow hook, was it just a weight?

******I am editing this post now, as I have been doing some experimentation: It is a weight! I have cut a couple of strips of roofing lead to nest where the axle would be, if it had one! These help the car engage on the hook and remain there.

I have been running mine around at speed and in reverse, and it stayed on. I initially placed three narrow strips between the wheel support brackets, but after noticing that the wrecker was sometimes doing a slight wheelie, I reduced this to two and it held the road well after that.

Next step will be to run it in traffic conditions on my automated layout, stopping and starting at the grade crossings: ********

In the meantime, here is a video my chum took of our US-1 layout at a train event in England. I am taking a revised version of the layout to a slot car festival here in May 2017.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=71_aiI34mAQ&t=33s

Apologies - I know this is the Tyco Forum but the trains and buildings I am using with the US-1 are Life-Like. There is some Faller AMS too! Hope you will forgive me?

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 26 2016 08:52:15 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 26 2016 :  09:03:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Apologies - I know this is the Tyco Forum but the trains and buildings I am using with the US-1 are Life-Like. There is some Faller AMS too! Hope you will forgive me?
Originally posted by jamesday@btinternet.com - November 25 2016 :  11:28:57 PM

It's called the Tyco forum, but if you look around the site, you'll find postings with and about nearly every brand there is. We like them all, here.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - November 26 2016 :  10:36:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
hi james i am also uk based,you might find this link useful,ken
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycous1trucking/

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - November 26 2016 :  11:27:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks to you both and greetings from Warwick!

I appreciate the link. I have used that site many times over the eight years or so that I have been into US-1.

I would have liked to have acquired some Tyco trains, but when my wife bought me the Life-Like 'High Iron and Burnin' Rubber' road rail set in 2008, my fate was sealed!

I think that Life-like trains go well with the US-1. The Life-Like grade crossing is identical in design to the US-1 version, except the roadway joiners. Life-Like Power-Loc railroad track follows the geometry of the original Atlas Snap Track that Derek Brand designed the Playcraft/Aurora roadway track to be used with, so it all fits together very well indeed!

Sadly Walthers seem to be running the Life-Like brand down now, so I was lucky to get into this just when I did.

Sadly there are not that many 'railways with slot car roadways' enthusiasts this side of 'the pond', (most people here do Tri-ang Railways and Minic Motorways) although there seem to be a good few in Germany into Faller AMS.

I started off the Minic route too, and exhibited it at shows for many years, but marriage and a child brought about a switch in direction to the other makes of HO roadways which I have very much enjoyed.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on November 26 2016 11:30:20 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Working Wig Wags for US-1 Grade Crossings Topic Next Topic: What Is It?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.55 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000