Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 14 ]  [ Total: 15 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 All Metal UP Shark
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Mantua DIECAST custom green (Southern?) 0-4-0T Topic Next Topic: Mantua Rio Grande Davenport  

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - May 27 2007 :  12:34:15 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
One of my favorite engines. Weighs a ton [:D]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator 

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - May 27 2007 :  05:38:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi NYC,

I see no opening for a front coupler. Is that standard on a metal shark powered unit?

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - May 27 2007 :  10:56:09 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
That's a great question that would be better answered by someone other than me. I think the one pictured here is an unusual one. All of the kits from the 50's, powered or not, seem to have the open pilot.

I think we need to call Ray M. or Loopy in on this one to shed a little light.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GoingInCirclez
Big Boy

Posted - May 27 2007 :  11:17:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GoingInCirclez to Buddylist
I think it's standard on that particular shell version. Also note the unusual mounting for the rear truck, using two black plastic tabs screwed into cutouts in the shell frame. I have seen a few metal sharks that share this combination of features.

Also remember that the plastic sharks have a closed pilot as well... modified with a slot to add the MNRA coupler.

The very first releases were open pilots - wide at that to accept a hook and loop system.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2175  ~  Member Since: July 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 31 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

New_York_Central
Founder

NYCDreyfussAvatar

Posted - May 27 2007 :  11:30:05 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add New_York_Central to Buddylist
Thansk Tony. Also note that this UP Shark has fully closed steps. I've seen the bare metal kits with both rungs open and others with just the bottom rung open. This went through many iterations for sure.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1322  ~  Member Since: October 30 2005  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Tony Cook
Big Boy

TycoGMOGP20Avatar

Posted - May 27 2007 :  3:24:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Tony Cook to Buddylist
The paint scheme design is interesting...it's curious how many of these early HO-scale locos had paint jobs that didn't bother in many respects to even attempt to come close to looking authentic.

One of the better odd examples is that bulky Marx Geep that was sold in UP yellow and gray with red lettering...that read A.T. & S.F.?!?

Very Cool Shark!

Tony Cook
HO-Scale Trains Resource
http://ho-scaletrains.net
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1658  ~  Member Since: December 03 2005  ~  Last Visit: February 07 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

LoopnHook
Big Six

Crusader

Posted - May 27 2007 :  3:37:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add LoopnHook to Buddylist

Aaah, a very, very nice TYCO Shark from circa 1959! This same model, but in a different road name, carried over into the 1960 Tyco catalog. (see Dr Cook’s resource page at http://tycotrain.tripod.com/locomotives/id6.html). The black tabs that Circlez speaks of indicate a gimbaled drive. Besides the closed pilot other characteristics are plastic horns, an elongated slot in the roof above the motor and the name Mantua-Tyco cast in the under side of the roof. The common Mantua 215 kit version had none of these items.

From the NYC’s photo I get the impression that this is a factory paint job. Note the flash around the window openings, on the steps, around the lower edge of the body, all characteristics of the factory. The blurred masking looks like factory. And the kicker is the unpainted rivets on the truck side plates. The factory painted side plates on the front but not the back before attaching them. However, the paint is unmarred, looks like it was painted yesterday not fifty odd years past.

A very nice piece, Todd! Thanks for sharing. Made this old man’s day![:)]

Loopy

If you can't fix it with a hammer, you've got an electrical problem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 200  ~  Member Since: October 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: August 29 2010 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Angus
Switcher

Schultz1

Posted - May 27 2007 :  8:12:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Angus to Buddylist
The condition of the finish is just incredible, congratulations of finding a pristine example. I have two I picked up several years ago, but they look nowhere near as nice. You have a time machine, perhaps? :)

Chris
Kansas City
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 27  ~  Member Since: December 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: November 21 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

mytyco
Mikado

FECAvatar

Posted - May 28 2007 :  03:33:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add mytyco to Buddylist
Hi All,

Thanks for the info. Very interesting.

Thanks
Mike
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 790  ~  Member Since: April 30 2006  ~  Last Visit: July 21 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

rrfan
Switcher

Posted - June 18 2007 :  6:07:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add rrfan to Buddylist
Hey all.I have one of these that is the same as the one at the top of the site.The truck frames were not painted the body color.They were a silver paint(dull) I have owned this since 1959 when I was 10 years old.
I think it is a fantastic paint job!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 22  ~  Member Since: January 21 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 13 2008 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - December 08 2020 :  10:50:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
quote:
One of my favorite engines. Weighs a ton [:D]

Originally posted by New_York_Central - May 27 2007 :  12:34:15 AM

Classic style.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 09 2020 :  07:20:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I have one too!
& do want the matching B unit!

old pix
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Mantua DIECAST custom green (Southern?) 0-4-0T Topic Next Topic: Mantua Rio Grande Davenport  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000