Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Prototypes
 Tyco Alco 430 Great Northern Prototype?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic:  Topic Next Topic: Rogers 4-6-0 Prototype . . .  

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 29 2016 :  3:48:52 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Hi guys. Little over a month ago I decided that I wanted to acquire every brown box roadname of the Alco 430 made by Tyco. Well I was thinking that I was never going to be able to acquire certain versions of the Alco 430. The one that I thought would be especially hard to find is the Great Northern 430. For a while I was thinking that Tony Lucio had the only one! But now it appears that I have one too! This one is a little different. I would recommend comparing my model to the one found here: http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycobrownboxdiesels/id8.html For instance mine doesn't have any decals what so ever. Also the number boards are brown for some reason. The horns are also white instead of the black ones that are on his. Paint definitely looks factory but I really don't know. The power seems to match it (as they both have MU-2s). The bottom of the shell is black so it matches the base black paint. It also has the white safety(?) marks around the edges of it too. Also the paint on the nose of mine is slightly different than Tony's. I haven't found anything that would suggest that it isn't a prototype unit. However the last piece of evidence is especially interesting. It came from Sicklerville, New Jersey. New Jersey? That sounds familiar doesn't it? It turns out that Woodbury Heights is 23 minutes (or so) from Sicklerville. So maybe this was a piece from a former Tyco employee that someone found at a garage sale/auction there and listed it on eBay. The lot I bought came with a production Virginian 430 and a Bachmann GP unit. Anyways take a look at my pictures and see what you think!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator 

Alco Fan
Big Boy

PRRGoldAvatar

Posted - November 24 2016 :  5:11:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Alco Fan to Buddylist
Another nice find. I have one with tampos and one with no road number. In fact I have posted them here in the past. That would be a great provenance to have a prototype. A member here argued to me that someone had removed the road numbers while another knowledgeable member and collector said that they may have left them blank so a modeler could easily put their own numbers on.
Good Hunting

Alco Fan
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2496  ~  Member Since: August 03 2006  ~  Last Visit: December 06 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 24 2016 :  5:14:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
coool
I want the USA Express, Chessie System & BN ones
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - November 24 2016 :  7:14:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
Another nice find. I have one with tampos and one with no road number. In fact I have posted them here in the past. That would be a great provenance to have a prototype. A member here argued to me that someone had removed the road numbers while another knowledgeable member and collector said that they may have left them blank so a modeler could easily put their own numbers on.
Good Hunting

Originally posted by Alco Fan - November 24 2016 :  5:11:15 PM

Thanks. I've never seen them do that to others in the past. The early production Virginian has no road numbers but still has the 4301 number boards like yours. One collector I talked to said there were 3 variations of the Great Northern 430. Either way, I am happy to have mine.

Micro, while I have all of those, the BN is one of my favorites. Just a nice paint scheme.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - November 30 2016 :  10:27:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Kristofer4301 I think that's a clone. Alco Fan, were you the one who painted one a while ago? I remember when you won your on eBay.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - November 30 2016 :  10:48:36 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
Kristofer4301 I think that's a clone. Alco Fan, were you the one who painted one a while ago? I remember when you won your on eBay.

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - November 30 2016 :  10:27:19 AM

If it's a fake its a damn good one. It looks real to me! The paint looks factory and it seems to match the base coat.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - November 30 2016 :  1:52:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
Here is a nugget of information for you, the G.N. C430 is one of the few TYCO's I need and about a month ago I thought I may have found one. None of his friends believed it was a real TYCO and he said "The reason you wont find them in any catalogs is because the G.N. C430 was a mail order only". I was trying to find the post, but it's gone, and so was he....
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 664  ~  Member Since: May 05 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - November 30 2016 :  7:58:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
Here is a nugget of information for you, the G.N. C430 is one of the few TYCO's I need and about a month ago I thought I may have found one. None of his friends believed it was a real TYCO and he said "The reason you wont find them in any catalogs is because the G.N. C430 was a mail order only". I was trying to find the post, but it's gone, and so was he....

Originally posted by GG-1 Guy - November 30 2016 :  1:52:00 PM

I read on the Train Resource that it was mail in only. It does seem to be quite the rare model. Think this one deserves legendary status as well? Probably not with 3 variations is my guess. I'll try to take more pictures of mine but I swear it's real. Those numberboards don't make any sense. That's reallly the only thing that throws me off about this model!

GG-1 Guy
Mikado

GG-1

Posted - December 01 2016 :  09:24:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add GG-1 Guy to Buddylist
kristofer4301, I may be wrong, I'm certainly not an expert on TYCO trains and I surely don't want to sound like a know-it-all. Either way it is a nice find and if I were you, I would clean it up and find a red box w/insert to put it in. Every last one of my rare TYCO's are in a box with the exception of the chrome Santa Fe F-9A and the "B' unit; I just got it a few weeks ago and have not had time to find one for each. I have only seen one of these on eBay; it was the day I was leaving for a Carnival cruise. I did not bid because I wanted to treat my wife to a great time while we were away. That was the one ALCO FAN won, I think he won both of his within a 30 day period.
  Previous Topic:  Topic Next Topic: Rogers 4-6-0 Prototype . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000