Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 13 ]  [ Total: 13 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Rearranging . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 4x8 layout blank canvas right now Topic Next Topic: Snap Switch Tuning Tips  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 28 2016 :  8:17:16 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Came across a piece of plywood and it was just what I needed to try again at putting together a layout that would fit my attic space without overtaking it; that I could disassemble to carry down the steps; that would be big enough to watch the trains go round and round; that would be a bit higher for better viewing; and that would allow me to put all the "train stuff" underneath it. I also moved to the other side of the room to gain a little skylight illumination. The "yard" will allow me to have a few trains to run around that intriguing oval. It will certainly be a challenge trying to make this oval interesting, but it is definitely more fun to be able to actually let some trains roll . . . [the main portion of the layout is 4 X 4 with a 15" X 30" yard; still trying to figure out how the yard will go]

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 28 2016 :  9:53:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Love it, Barry. Less is more!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - September 28 2016 :  11:38:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
Step 1 to an interesting oval layout - don't place the straightaways parallel to the edge of the layout table.

Check!

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1486  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: April 02 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 29 2016 :  11:19:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Welcome back among those of us who are blessed to have a layout.
Is that power pack in the picture one of the old Lionel packs with a variable transformer as a throttle?

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 30 2016 :  12:33:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
It is an older Lionel Don, though I don't know about the inner workings. I'll have to plead ignorance to the inner workings, but it seems relatively heavy and also seems to put out good current to the track. And I am glad to have a place to run trains again. Even though the track isn't nailed down yet (still trying to decide on what I want to live with for awhile . . . realizing change is inevitable), I've have fun watching them go round and round.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 30 2016 :  07:20:40 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
It is an older Lionel Don, though I don't know about the inner workings. I'll have to plead ignorance to the inner workings,

Originally posted by Barry - September 30 2016 :  12:33:57 AM

Yes, that's the old "coil swipe" design transformer, has copper windings that the contact arm moves over with rollers. Can't tell which model it is, similar to a 1033. Lionel made MANY variations of transformers over the years, it's hard to keep track of them all. But they're nearly bullet proof, and can be repaired fairly easity ( unless burned up ). A keeper for sure.

Jerry

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 30 2016 :  08:32:28 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Loving the layout Barry. Small layouts are the way to go for sure.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 25 2016 :  7:46:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Many digressions over the past several weeks (discovered a split brake drum on my 50 Chevy; now I'm going to write a story for Mechanics Illustrated . . . 'Brake Job In Six Weeks'). I did work on the layout from time to time, including what I thought would really make it fine . . . painting the track. Ha! I thought I was really being careful, and I had these "vintage" brass tracks and turnouts (even powered turnouts!). It ran terrible. I thought I was really being careful and tedious with cleaning the contact points, and maybe it is that brass track is that much less dependable. So . . I went back to the Atlas nickle silver and it seems to work fine. Now I'm in the process of cleaning up the locomotives that needed it because of the track mishap and probably sitting for several months.

Lastly, a short run . . .
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 25 2016 :  11:17:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I see buildings. Are scenery and structures in the offing, down the road?
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thesiding
Big Boy

LionelSince1900Avatar

Posted - October 26 2016 :  12:03:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thesiding to Buddylist
Lionel Made a HO version of the 1044 and the SW
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1063  ~  Member Since: August 19 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 26 2016 :  11:24:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I believe some scenery and structures will be in the offing; soon as this weather gets to where it's uncomfortable to work outside. This layout can be unbolted and hauled out of the room, so maybe in some respects I can do some more permanent type scenery? I've just gotten the track to where I believe it is reliable and now I want to get all the locomotives serviced. I should be able to have 3 trains on the layout at one time; maybe one running around the circle and a couple in the yard. That one pile of pieces in the background is the freight station that I've been messing with the windows on. As per your suggestion Don, I'm putting trim around the windows; styrene strips. By the way, the transformer is "Lionel Model 0100 Power Pack".

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 26 2016 :  11:30:16 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

Most people see a slab of plywood, and think "wood." To guys like us it is a
blank canvas. This little plan comes from one of the Atlas track plan books,
I think, but it is my next project. I am fascinated with how much can be done
in a small place.

Are you going to do the granite dells, aka the boulders, again? Nice little video.
That Mantua runs like a Swiss watch.

Oh, BTW, are the leaves turning, yet, in Colorado? Must be gorgeous.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 26 2016 11:33:23 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - October 26 2016 :  4:07:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Leaves started turning a few weeks back, but this has been a fall of magnificent color. Just came on slow enough I guess? That is a pretty cool track plan you posted there Jeff. I did strongly consider doing something like that, but the grades were steep enough that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy just letting the locomotives run. I'm thinking something will develop over the course of a few months and rocks is one place I'm going to begin.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 26 2016 :  4:19:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Barry, I love what you're doing, and it's inspired my own small layout.

Chops, I always liked that plan. The only mods I would make would be to shorten the upper tunnel and bring a mine spur off the upper right and possibly a 1 or 2 car spur at Dennison.

It takes alot to design a large layout, but alot more to design a good small one.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 27 2016 :  6:29:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
Leaves started turning a few weeks back, but this has been a fall of magnificent color. Just came on slow enough I guess? That is a pretty cool track plan you posted there Jeff. I did strongly consider doing something like that, but the grades were steep enough that I wouldn't have been able to enjoy just letting the locomotives run. I'm thinking something will develop over the course of a few months and rocks is one place I'm going to begin.

Originally posted by Barry - October 26 2016 :  4:07:55 PM

Yes, sometimes having a track plan grow "organically" can be quite interesting. I did that, by force of
circumstance, with my OO layout, and it turned out surprisingly well- for my interests.

I intend build above mentioned layout, even have the slab, the blank canvas as it were, sitting in
the garage. And as you mentioned, the grades might be a limiting factor to running rather short
trains. To get the track up and over itself in 3.5 feet may require a fairly precipitous rise.

But then, the curiousity factor draws me in; can it be done??? Certainly a question raised by
early railway builders as they navigated terrain.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 05 2016 :  10:00:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 05 2016 :  10:49:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Looks like things are taking shape.
Carpe Manana!

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - November 06 2016 :  12:30:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Looking good Barry!

So what era and region are you aiming for? I'm thinking 1870's Kansas myself :)

Looking forward to progress on this gem. I love your yard layout.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 06 2016 :  10:07:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I'm thinking circa 1900 . . . maybe a "broad" circa, but I do favor the steam and maybe some geography like my neighborhood. I'm not sure where things are going. I'm building this freight station kit presently that's probably too big for this layout, but I liked the model. Maybe this will be the "eclectic" electric railroad. I'm thinking I probably lack the patience (and time and money) to do a really fine realistic looking layout diorama, so at this point I'm just playing with a few toys, placing them hither and tither and seeing how it strikes me.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 24 2016 :  12:56:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
A few photos from this morning . . .

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 24 2016 :  1:53:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Remarkable! Your use of found rocks is most striking.
Arizona back country. Granite dells.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 24 2016 :  2:36:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Nice pictures. I like the one with the guys loafing on the station platform.

I also like that engine with the Russia Iron jacket. I remember when you were building that one.

Carpe Manana!

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - December 25 2016 :  08:38:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That looks great, Barry!
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3319  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 27 2016 :  1:06:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - December 27 2016 :  1:49:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I love all the details Barry.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - December 27 2016 :  2:18:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I was gonna do a mine scene using Fool's Gold
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - December 27 2016 :  6:46:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I still think that coal loading dock is the cat's meow.
Carpe Manana!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - December 28 2016 :  7:33:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Not a video of particularly fine quality, but for you, a peek into someone else's mess . . .

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - December 29 2016 :  7:00:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Enjoyed the video. Craftsman quality.

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - January 11 2017 :  8:21:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I don't really have a specific idea where this layout is going. But, I did pop for some trees yesterday. I'm fairly pleased with the dimension and color they seem capable of adding. If I look at them too closely, I pick up on them not looking that real, but from a few feet away and squinting the whole thing looks a bit more convincing than it did [with the addition of trees].

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - January 11 2017 :  9:27:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Trees have a way of blending scenery together. If you approach an old town in the open countryside, you see the trees and the buildings and they blend in as part of the landscape. If you approach a brand new subdivision where the trees have yet to grow, the houses sit starkly on the land looking out of place like something that just dropped from the sky.
Carpe Manana!

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 17 2017 :  3:02:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Haven't done a great deal to this Spartan layout, but the light coming through this morning was quite nice. Camera could do better at translating that idea. Have added some deciduous trees and a few more stones and rocks. If you get at just the right angle and narrow your field of vision, it looks pretty cool.

Such a busy place this morning. Looks like they're gettin' backed up for some reason.

Looks like they got movin' along.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 18 2017 :  2:05:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Wow, that Mite runs like a Swiss watch.
  Previous Topic: 4x8 layout blank canvas right now Topic Next Topic: Snap Switch Tuning Tips  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.25 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000