Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 4 ]  [ Total: 4 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Is it possible to repair broken couplers?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Missouri-Pacific Hopper . . . Topic Next Topic: Looks like a clean motor conversion . . .  

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - September 27 2016 :  9:35:19 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
I bought a Mantua General American Refrigerator Express Dairymen's League reefer car from the LHS junk bins for a dollar or two, and it's a nice piece I'd say. Metal trucks, metal base, nice and weighty, decent detail (for me, anyways). Problem is, the couplers are broken! I can see there's the remains still in the coupler pocket, but the actual hook coupler? Long snapped off. The coupler pockets seem fairly sealed off, and I can't see a way to replace the coupler without snipping the coupler pocket off the truck and body mounting it. I don't really want to cut them up (and since the coupler pocket seems to be metal as well, I don't think I can), but it seems like the only option. Any ideas? Worst comes to worst this guy will get tucked on my display shelf, as it's quite nice, and I'll bite on the other one of these that inhabits the "Cars without Kadees $3" case at my LHS.
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator 

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 27 2016 :  9:46:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
It it one of the old ones with the rivet? Got a pic?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - September 27 2016 :  10:47:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist

Here's a picture of the truck and how it attaches, using a small screw.

This one shows the broken coupler (slightly) better.

I should also note that there's very little on the bottom of this car, just "MANTUA" and "2".

sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 28 2016 :  12:53:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah well its still a Tyco though
I seen a thread in here I think about how to replace these couplers
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 28 2016 :  10:44:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Found it!!

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=16835&SearchTerms=Mantua,Coupler
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - September 28 2016 :  11:17:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
if you are careful you can lever the two halves of the coupling box apart,replace the coupling and push the two halves together again

catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around

Edited by - catfordken on September 28 2016 11:22:37 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Srenchin
Big Boy

CNRedAvatar

Posted - September 28 2016 :  1:03:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Srenchin to Buddylist
I have had this problem too, this how I fixed my couplers...
1. Remove the rivet by either filling off the flared end or drilling it out.
2. Gently pry the coupler cover off the truck.
3. Replace the coupler.
4. Using a Tiny screw and nut, re-assemble the coupler.
5. Once the screw and nut are tight, add some CA glue to lock the nut in place.

Proudly keeping Tyco Pluggers out of landfills since 2016
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 818  ~  Member Since: December 26 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - September 28 2016 :  4:45:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
With some careful prying with a small screwdriver, I've seperated the two halves. Now, to replace the coupler. Since with my layout I've decided to convert to kadees, any idea if there's any kind of kadee that'd fit in place of the Mantua coupler?
sim-al2
純那
yeah
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Retired Alex
Big Six

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - September 28 2016 :  6:36:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Retired Alex to Buddylist
Check here http://www.kadee.com/conv/hocc.htm
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 265  ~  Member Since: March 07 2014  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - September 29 2016 :  11:17:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
If you don't want to ruin the hole, I'd recommend drilling the rivet out, do NOT just pry the two pieces apart! I just did a coupler replacement on 3 Mantua C&O passenger cars with this type of old style riveted arm, it's safer to drill them out than to risk the damage and bending the arms by prying against the brass rivet. It will give, but you may damage the coupler arm doing it that way. I'd play it save and drill them out carefully, you will need special tiny drill bits to do so. I usually enlarge the hole for a 2-56 screw, but I also just used some smaller screws I'd saved from CD and Floppy drive scrapping which are way smaller, and I mounted the couplers on the Mantua's with those. Kadee #148 whiskers worked best for this job. Have fun!

Jerry, train repair guy.

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - September 30 2016 :  4:01:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Thanks for the tips AMC Gremlin, I'll make sure to be a bit more careful when tackling the second Mantua reefer (if it's still at the shop next week!). The #148 Kadees also look a lot nicer than the #38 Kadees that the conversion chart recommends.
sim-al2
純那
yeah
  Previous Topic: Missouri-Pacific Hopper . . . Topic Next Topic: Looks like a clean motor conversion . . .  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000