Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 8 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Tyco Freight Station - Tyco Kit 7785
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Grass . . . Topic Next Topic: Campbell''s Scarlet Slipper  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 18 2016 :  1:34:08 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I've been looking at these kits for a good spell; liking the old west/early railroading vibe. I got one and have mostly been looking at the pieces and thinking about it while attending to those things enabled by summer days. Having the kit in hand and looking closely at the windows, the muttons and mullions dividing the lites were like scale 2 X 4's. I had a few Grandt Line windows on hand, but they were pretty tall and looked out of place on the second story (coming so close to the roof line). I perused their catalog and also Tichy Train products windows; none of the sizes seemed to work as a universal replacement. What I did find, though, is that mounting the windows opposite the intended way gives an entirely different view of the divided lites with maybe only an 1"+ scale mullions, etc. (I did have to scrape out some plastic that is part of the window as viewed from the "front", so turning the windows around again would not work.) I'm still evaluating what I think of this and whether or not to place some 1 X 4 trim around them. And as can be seen in the photos, I am presently planning on using some more traditional windows and doors at what might be the office and passenger entrance.

As an aside, I took down that tiny shelf layout I had with plans of going back to something with at least a circle that I can mesmerize myself watching a little locomotive going around and around and around and . . . see what happens this winter.

A couple photos for grins . . .

I did get a couple Grandt Line things . . . these 'attic' windows; for the purpose of allowing the station crew a better view in spotting trains.

and all my derailed equipment awaiting a new route . . .

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 19 2016 :  12:40:17 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I'm still evaluating what I think of this and whether or not to place some 1 X 4 trim around them.
Originally posted by Barry - September 18 2016 :  1:34:08 PM

I think 1x4 trim would look good, since wood buildings usually have trim around the outside of windows. What you have now would look great in brick or stone, but on wood, the trim would really set it off.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 03 2016 :  4:49:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Got the windows trimmed out, and the window and door openings prepared for a few Grandt Line substitutes, including the additional attic windows to the sides of the dispatcher's viewpoint. One of the local rural depots (circa 1900) is reported to have been painted a "rich dark brown" and after mulling colors for a spell (still am), I went with an espresso brown that I had on hand from my foolish effort to paint track. After seeing the painted model, I can see where it would have been good to trim down the timbers above the sliding freight doors and make that look more like a steel piece that would hold the door rollers. Next time. Ha! And a shot of some preliminary roof work. Silver half-brushed out for the corrugated metal roofing and green for the wood shingles of the second story; olive to start and then get the dark corners with dark green. I didn't have confidence in my ability to paint the wood shingles to look like wood and I haven't been patient enough with the paper wood shingles to apply them well. So that's where this thing is at . . .

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 07 2016 :  8:21:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Gary B
Hudson

ChicagoNorthWesternAvatar

Posted - November 07 2016 :  9:08:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Gary B to Buddylist
That's looking really good Barry
Master Of Plasticville
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 444  ~  Member Since: March 17 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - November 07 2016 :  11:13:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like it. I have the brick version of that freight house, but I think the wooden one looks a bit better. I also like the relaxed pace of assembly: taking your time and doing each step right, then stepping back a bit to survey the results.

It's often too easy to "smell the barn" and hurry to the end of a project. I know I've been guilty of that.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - November 08 2016 :  5:04:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Well, I got this out of my system now. At this point, I'm thinking I should probably get two kits whenever I do one, so I can try (emphasize try) and correct all the mistakes on the second one. Interesting how the photography shows up all the light leaks where pieces aren't properly aligned; didn't take enough time at some spots Don. Anyway, I got my ideas down on paper so to speak.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 16 2017 :  10:52:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Magnificent. I don't know why that green roof works, but it
works and works well.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - June 16 2017 :  1:11:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Light leaks or not, the project came out well. For some reason this angle is especially appealing.
quote:

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Grass . . . Topic Next Topic: Campbell''s Scarlet Slipper  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.22 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000