Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 18 ]  [ Total: 18 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Layouts - Construction and Operations
 Starting on a layout - Finally!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: My First L Topic Next Topic: A British Track Plan in 4x8  

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 29 2016 :  12:28:54 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
So I've been planning a layout for a long time. I built a T-Gauge one a few years back, but haven't done much since then. Sooo, here is my first HO scale benchwork in a decade. I'm building a 4X5 HO layout with a shelf extension to Staging.

Based on the "Turtle Creek Southern", I adapted it to function better as a point-to-point.

(Copyright Kalmbach)

The basic operational schematic is based on my fictional Dullbridge & North Lake Railway, a cottage country Ontario Shortline.

Progress as it develops

Edited by - DanMacK on August 29 2016 12:32:21 AM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator 

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 03 2016 :  2:48:34 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Track laid out. Alot of work and such still to do. Need roadbed for under some of the turnouts, but something is starting!

I might add another pair of turnouts to bypass the diamond.

Edited by - DanMacK on September 03 2016 2:58:08 PM
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 03 2016 :  6:58:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Looks like you're fittin' a bunch of activity in there. Is the total layout 4 X 5 as we see it in the photos, or is it larger? I'm glad to see your posting. I'm trying to figure out what I can do with a small layout.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 03 2016 :  7:17:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Yeah, it's only 4X5. The line in the upper left is going to go to an L shaped shelf. There's alot going on, but it actually has alot of scenery room.

I love small layouts. They have so much of a challenge. It's amazing what you can do in a small space.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 03 2016 :  7:32:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
quote:
So I've been planning a layout for a long time. I built a T-Gauge one a few years back, but haven't done much since then. Sooo, here is my first HO scale benchwork in a decade. I'm building a 4X5 HO layout with a shelf extension to Staging.

Based on the "Turtle Creek Southern", I adapted it to function better as a point-to-point.

(Copyright Kalmbach)

The basic operational schematic is based on my fictional Dullbridge & North Lake Railway, a cottage country Ontario Shortline.

Progress as it develops

Originally posted by DanMacK - August 29 2016 :  12:28:54 AM

Looks like you're having a lot of fun! I wish I had space for a layout. Please continue to post your progress!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 03 2016 :  7:39:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Even a switching layout/shelf layout is something. This is the first HO layout I've built in years. Will definitely continue to post :D

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 04 2016 :  3:56:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
Looking good. I like the additions you made and the point-to-point plan.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 04 2016 :  11:25:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Thanks! I did add a connecting track between the two legs of the diamond. Makes some moves much easier.

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 05 2016 :  12:02:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Are you going to go traditional analog or try out DCC? I would try DCC because nowadays it seems like everyone in the hobby does it and its so cheap. But if you are just building your layout to run older models than analog makes sense.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 05 2016 :  03:15:47 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Honestly, with the size of the layout, I'll probably stick with straight DC for now.

If I do anything, it'll probably be Bluerail. Cost is about the same, if not cheaper.

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 05 2016 :  7:40:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
If I do anything, it'll probably be Bluerail. Cost is about the same, if not cheaper.
Originally posted by DanMacK - September 05 2016 :  03:15:47 AM

It occurs to me that Bluerail has the potential to overtake DCC as the advanced way to run trains. It'll handle AC, DC and deadrail battery input, the control unit is just a smart phone, some of which are really cheap, and it doesn't try to transmit signals across dirty wheels and track. At this point, I'd think twice about that before starting from scratch into DCC.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - September 05 2016 :  9:05:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Hmmm. That Bluerail stuff is pretty interesting. DC > DCC>Bluetooth? Maybe.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 05 2016 :  9:31:47 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
I love the idea of it.

So I've swapped out the Tyco switch on the left side of the diamond for an Atlas Snap switch. My passenger test train (Tyco Combine and LL Coach and full dome) wasn't liking the short throw rails. Ironically, the other tyco switch on the other leg is fine.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 06 2016 :  12:27:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
neato!
don't forget to add a railroad crossing cause its not a good railroad unless you have 1 or more rail/road crossings
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 06 2016 :  9:16:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Don't worry MB, They're planned ;)

So I was going to model this as a central Ontario shortline, but my recent obsession with Durango equipment has caused me to rethink this.

I love the "Old West" theme. Getting a 4-6-0 has solidified this choice. I'm aiming more for "movie style" probably (more fun that way). Sooo the branch will probably be somewhere in Kansas (Dodge City anyone?) I might split it and model the staging yard as "Colorado" for a change of scenery, lol

More to come (and building choices!)

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 06 2016 :  11:52:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Dig the old west theme Dan. I have problems with turnouts all the time and I've come to believe that it involves which way the locomotive is approaching the frog from, and also, the better quality turnout you buy, the less hassle. Maybe that's not true, I don't know. Keep the photos comin'.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 07 2016 :  12:41:24 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
if you do the Kansas & Colorado
use the Durango set
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 07 2016 :  1:57:56 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
I have problems with turnouts all the time and I've come to believe that it involves which way the locomotive is approaching the frog from, and also, the better quality turnout you buy, the less hassle. Maybe that's not true, I don't know. Keep the photos comin'.
Originally posted by Barry - September 06 2016 :  11:52:04 PM

I tend to use Atlas Snap Track turnouts because I started out with them and the track plan is based on their geometry. There are problems at the frogs, sometimes, because the flange way is too wide between the running rails and the guard rails, allowing wheels to pick the frog. When I have too many problems with this, I glue a strip of plastic to the plastic guard rail to narrow the flange way. If that makes it too narrow, it can be opened up a bit with a fingernail file. It's a case of tuning and tinkering, getting the flange way narrow enough so things don't pick the frog, but wide enough to allow old engines with pizza cutter flanges through.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 07 2016 :  3:06:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
quote:
if you do the Kansas & Colorado
use the Durango set

Originally posted by microbusss - September 07 2016 :  12:41:24 PM

But of course! That's what inspired me in the first place. They seem to be scarce up here in Canada though, lol

scshaggy, my design is essentially designed around EZ track turnouts (that's what I have the majority of) Other turnouts tend to fit that basic geometry.

Edited by - DanMacK on September 07 2016 3:31:10 PM

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - September 07 2016 :  9:30:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
quote:

I tend to use Atlas Snap Track turnouts because I started out with them and the track plan is based on their geometry. There are problems at the frogs, sometimes, because the flange way is too wide between the running rails and the guard rails, allowing wheels to pick the frog. When I have too many problems with this, I glue a strip of plastic to the plastic guard rail to narrow the flange way. If that makes it too narrow, it can be opened up a bit with a fingernail file. It's a case of tuning and tinkering, getting the flange way narrow enough so things don't pick the frog, but wide enough to allow old engines with pizza cutter flanges through.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - September 07 2016 :  1:57:56 PM

That's a great tip, thank you! I will give it a try on some of my picky turnouts.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - September 12 2016 :  3:44:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by DanMacK - September 05 2016 :  03:15:47 AM

It occurs to me that Bluerail has the potential to overtake DCC as the advanced way to run trains. It'll handle AC, DC and deadrail battery input, the control unit is just a smart phone, some of which are really cheap, and it doesn't try to transmit signals across dirty wheels and track. At this point, I'd think twice about that before starting from scratch into DCC.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - September 05 2016 :  7:40:52 PM

Not at it's current state but yes that can happen. DCC hasn't dominated the market as many expected it would. It's really been an either or with most railroaders. That said, bluerail kind of caters to that in between crowd and just may stick around. Until there is sound onboard (instead of via the phone), Im staying away.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 01 2016 :  11:12:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
So due to unforseen circumstances, I had to downsize. I also wanted a layout I could fit into my compact car to take to shows (at the urging of my wife).

My new layout is 42"X48". The track plan is similar to the one above. I got some 15"R curves in my latest haul (mainly Tyco Trusteel with some brass). The layout is a mix of brass, Trusteel and Nickel Silver. Minumum radius is 15", but my Tycos are comfortable with it. The Super 630 and 4-6-0 may be picky, we'll see.

Added the Tyco unloader. This'll be removable for transport.

The train is a Tyco pig hotshot ;)

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 05 2016 :  4:13:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I see the Silver Streak on point. Fine looking consist. I love the
ingenuity of small track plans. This will be a gem.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 05 2016 :  7:55:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Thanks! I have a fascination for small model railroads. As much as I like big layouts and shelf pikes, designing a good small tabletop layout is alot more challenging I think.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 06 2016 :  11:19:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yup!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 06 2016 :  2:36:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
I love this forum. The first post after I post a small roundy-round tabletop layout isn't "You could do so much more with a shelf..."

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 18 2017 :  10:11:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Sooo more progress, I have added a reversing track and small yard.

I want to use Atlas components (because I'm cheap). The Turntable is Manual, How would you wire this thing?

Edited by - DanMacK on August 18 2017 10:12:40 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 08 2017 :  9:56:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
HAH! So much for a small layout! Actually, the addition is very
creative. I always admired the Turtle Creek and wanted to do
its Floridian theme. I have like 200 plastic palm trees in storage
from a Yucatan themed layout.

The addition of that Y makes for a very clever switching challenge.
Plus, I never dreamed of the TC with a turntable, manual or other-
wise.

Also, I like plastic roadbed track, like Trutrack, etc, but found it
very, very hard to make anything of any complexity in a small
space because of the inherent rigidity of the stuff. I never guessed
anyone would ever pull of the TC using it.

How do you get the cross at the southern aspect of the Y?
Looks like an impossible fit, unless you take the loop and
have it descend under the crossing track to the yard.

Please keep us posted on this most interesting project.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - September 14 2017 :  09:32:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Well, I'm using standard track now for the most part. A lot of Atlas brass and Tyco steel. The crossing is a severely cropped Atlas 90 degree crossing. I currently have a bunch of crap on the layout now, but will take pics soon.

It may have started as the Turtle Creek but has since morphed into its own monster. The scenery will probably be generic eastern to double as Kansas for my Durango stuff. I'm really on an Early Rail kick. The 1830's to 1850's are a fascinating time.

More as an n and thanks for the comments. :D

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 14 2017 :  11:46:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I enlarged the picture and see that it is indeed what you say.
Clever idea to crop the crossing.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 11 2017 :  10:29:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
What's new DM?

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - October 12 2017 :  08:59:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Sooo more progress, I have added a reversing track and small yard.

I want to use Atlas components (because I'm cheap). The Turntable is Manual, How would you wire this thing?

Originally posted by DanMacK - August 18 2017 :  10:11:03 PM

This drawing has a reverse loop in it and needs some special wiring

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 12 2017 :  12:35:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Truly a remarkable track plan. What are your thoughts on
using an automatic reverse loop detector? Or do you like
the challenge of switch panels?

You mentioned doing a movie set Old West theme. I see
you have an L shaped space beneath the track. I see
a canyon running through it and a trestle on the curve
above.

This track plan is a jewel. Compact, yet jammed with
switching and operational challenges.

I am tempted to do this myself.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 14 2017 :  11:22:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Thanks. I've thought of automatic reversing, but I do have a controller, er'll have to see.

I might extend it a few more feet down the side and put the turntable off to the side and use a normal stub end siding. I'll see how things shape up.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2017 :  12:30:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Mmmm, makes sense. True story: I dreamed about making this layout
last night. I found a shabby old piece of plywood and was delighted to
measure it out at 7 x 4 feet. In the dream, another model rail friend
and I were simultaneously banging together a 4 x 8 with a simple
oval and brass Atlas track using 15 inch curves. No more pizza
with anchovies before I go to bed at night!

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 15 2017 :  8:33:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
Mmmm, makes sense. True story: I dreamed about making this layout
last night. I found a shabby old piece of plywood and was delighted to
measure it out at 7 x 4 feet. In the dream, another model rail friend
and I were simultaneously banging together a 4 x 8 with a simple
oval and brass Atlas track using 15 inch curves. No more pizza
with anchovies before I go to bed at night!

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 15 2017 :  12:30:32 PM

EWWW on the anchovies on pizza

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 15 2017 :  8:56:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I not only dream in HO, I dream in Tyco! I measured the extra
slab of plywood, for real, in the garage, and it is 6 x 3.5, just
a little too small, unless I use 15 inch curves to go into the
yard, which might be just OK...

I keep studying and studying this track plan, and it is just
the ticket for short short trains, maybe a Doodle Bug, and
one can be making up a small train while trying to get
around the movement on the main line, bring one in
while taking one out, offers so many possibilities. Throw
in some DCC and this will be slow motion amazing.

BTW, Dan, I spent summers on the Bruce Penninsula. Not
much rail action out there, but the Huron coast was so
beautiful it hurts to remember it.

Edited by - Chops124 on October 15 2017 9:05:21 PM

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - October 15 2017 :  10:28:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
I love that part of the province.

The layout itself is 3.5X4. The curvwe and yard are on separate shelves. It's actually open between the diamond and the curve. No scenery on the curve ATM as it's just temporaty.

I'm probably going to extend the yard a bit. It's amazing what'll go around a 15" R Curve. My C630's complain a bit, but everything else is awesome.

Edited by - DanMacK on October 15 2017 10:31:14 PM
  Previous Topic: My First L Topic Next Topic: A British Track Plan in 4x8  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.41 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000