Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 20 ]  [ Total: 20 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 tyco 889b transformer
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Whodunnit?!  The Tyco-Matic Switch... Topic Next Topic: Battery-powered freight unloading depot question  

76manson
Switcher

Posted - July 04 2016 :  10:48:21 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add 76manson to Buddylist
Ok here we go i was reading through the forums to find an answer to my issue but cant find exactly what Im looking for. When I crack the throttle on my 889b transformer some trains go like a bat out of hell when the train should travel like a turtle. Any suggestions on what I should do in order to make engines start off slow?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: July 04 2016  ~  Last Visit: July 19 2016 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - July 04 2016 :  11:25:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I always thought Tyco transformers started trains too quickly and they stop all at once instead of a smooth stop.... The ones I have again today live up to that same standard...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - July 05 2016 :  12:13:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
yes...get a better transformer! the smallTyco power packs were known for their sudden power surges, you can't really get one to operate a train slowly unless you put in a special circuit to limit power. The way they are wound are not conducive to realistic slow starts. So either get an MRC with pulse technology, or another with the momentum feature. some of it also has to do with 3-pole motors, they are not particularly well suited for slow speed start-up, either. Combine that with the Tyco pak, and you're going to be giving your scale passengers whiplash every time.

Jerry, train repair tech

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - July 05 2016 :  12:40:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Old power packs control speed by balancing a motor against a rheostat. In cases where the two don't balance well, like a low-draw motor and a big old throttle from the open frame motor days, you can get jackrabbit starts. I've controlled that by wiring in an automobile tail light bulb in parallel with the track. Unfortunately, I don't think a little trainset power pack would produce the amperage to run the train and the light bulb both.

Double heading locomotives with similar speed and acceleration produces the same effect as the tail light bulb, but again, you need the capacity in the power pack.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2352  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Whodunnit?!  The Tyco-Matic Switch... Topic Next Topic: Battery-powered freight unloading depot question  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.66 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000