Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 7 ]  [ Total: 8 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Which Tyco Era was the best/worst?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Concerning Name for my New N-Scale Layout! Topic Next Topic: Where are you all from?  

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - April 23 2016 :  11:03:29 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Which Tyco Era was the best? It may seem like a confusing question at first, but Tyco's history displays a vast variety of items usually available only for a few years. For me, my favorite would have to be the red box era, because Tyco's locomotives had nice drives, the cars were detailed, and the boxes had colorful artwork. The only think that would make it better would be if there were more piggyback designs available like in the late 70's. My least favorite would have to be the late blue box era beause of low detail, Yugoslavian junk that was put in Tyco boxes. Post your thoughts.

Choices:

Blue Box Era (pre 1960)
Red Box Era (1960-1970)
Early Brown Box Era (1971-1974)
Bicentennial Era (1975-1976)
Mid Brown Box Era (1977-1980)
"Fantasy" Era (1981-1989)
Late Blue Box/Closing Era (1990-1993)

(Anonymous Vote)

Edited by - bnsfIA on April 23 2016 11:04:00 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator 

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - April 23 2016 :  7:41:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I voted for red box era because that was my start in HO trains and the Tyco trains were trainset trains that could be improved over time to run alongside trains marketed for modelers (Athearn, etc.). That first train set was steam and was of Mantua design.

Having said all that, I probably have a whole lot of the pre-1960 blue box stuff, now, because die cast Mantua runs very nicely on my layout.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - April 25 2016 :  08:46:20 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
I have to say the first three eras. Of the locomotives I like the early cast Mantua steamers. As for the cars most of the brown box and earlier. To date allot of these are getting upgraded to body mounted couplers, Kaydees and metal wheels. They are still rolling though.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - May 04 2016 :  2:21:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I can't really vote since I don't have much experience with Tyco. Most of mine is brown box, though.

In some ways the current era, the secondary market era, is the worst. Things can be hard to find for a reasonable price or even at all. If you can't get to a train show you're most likely going to have to order online, either from someone on a forum or if they don't have it then from evilBay (which means dealing with the prices there). Spare parts can be hard to find.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 04 2016 :  5:36:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Arrgh. I tried to take the poll, but couldn't. Nice the
way you broke it down to phases, but I loves them
all.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - May 04 2016 :  6:31:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I got started just near the brown box era... That's what I have in the Tyco trains etc...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 20 2016 :  08:41:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I like to run my trains and would class them by drives, for that is what made the quality, as. the early all metal era, MU1 era, MU2 era and the PT era. I liked the first three and the last stunk.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 20 2016 :  08:58:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
I think each era had it's own pluses and minuses. While crude, the early blue box era had some great all-metal engines and cars. The Red Box era had some nice quality pieces, and the Brown box had such a great variety that it's hard to overlook them. Overall, I'd have to chose Red Box as the best time for Tyco. But I like them all regardless. :)

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 20 2016 :  3:34:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Red Box trains are probably the best in quality. However the early 70's era is about the same in quality considering it was pre PT drive and everything still used the MU-2 drive.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 20 2016 :  11:45:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
I voted for mod Brown Box era, as that's when I have the most experience. My first train was a Silver Streak. I had a Chattanooga, I had alot of the Billboards, had a Golden Eagle.

All in all, my favourite era.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - August 22 2016 :  1:44:05 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I have a soft spot for the fantasy era. As much as I do like the prototype, I also really like the wild and creative stuff.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - August 25 2016 :  4:05:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
The issues with the motors cast a pall, but the Brown Box era play value has never been beaten in the world of HO. Never before then, never since then, and then you add the interactivity with US-1.

(I was just telling an unaware slot-car hobbyist about US-1 and he was floored by it. Could hardly believe such a thing existed, much less that it was cancelled.)

The only thing that beats it as a transportation game is Transport Tycoon and that's virtual. :D

Mainstream model railroaders don't understand what Tyco was about. Broadway Limited isn't a Tyco successor. Geotrax is. But unlike Geotrax, with Tyco it was possible to achieve a scale, or nearly scale appearance.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on August 25 2016 4:10:13 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 25 2016 :  9:53:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
The issues with the motors cast a pall, but the Brown Box era play value has never been beaten in the world of HO. Never before then, never since then, and then you add the interactivity with US-1.

(I was just telling an unaware slot-car hobbyist about US-1 and he was floored by it. Could hardly believe such a thing existed, much less that it was cancelled.)

The only thing that beats it as a transportation game is Transport Tycoon and that's virtual. :D

Mainstream model railroaders don't understand what Tyco was about. Broadway Limited isn't a Tyco successor. Geotrax is. But unlike Geotrax, with Tyco it was possible to achieve a scale, or nearly scale appearance.

Originally posted by Autobus Prime - August 25 2016 :  4:05:12 PM

AFX made trucks too but they wasn't a 2 way traffic like US 1 was
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ShockControl
Switcher

Posted - November 19 2016 :  9:40:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ShockControl to Buddylist
Earliest ones were best. They were heavier and more realistic, comparable to Athearn.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 71  ~  Member Since: June 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: February 02 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 07 2017 :  2:07:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I find their best era to be 1971-1982. Sure, they had the PowerTorque locomotives and more unrealistically-colored locomotives and cars near the end of that era, but it was still fun. I find 1982 to be the last big year for TYCO, when they introduced the TYCOscene layout board and the new black-and-blue power pack, and still had such a huge selection of products. With the 1983 catalog, their train line drastically shrunk.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

IslandTrains
Little Six

Posted - January 07 2017 :  9:59:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add IslandTrains to Buddylist
Back in the day I had three Tyco locomotives with PT motors and they all had a ton of hours on them. None of them ever failed completely. The only issue I had with them is they'd run along nicely and then out of the blue would SQUEALLLLLLLLLLL and slow down. Dad would take them to the hobby shop were I presume they got lubed. What part of the PT would cause this issue? They took a lot of abuse- full throttle runs , pulling more weight than they should etc so I can't really complain about them. I also had a life like F unit that would growl like crazy and a Model Power C628 that was a piece of crap from the same era and I always felt the Tyco was a better locomotive.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 143  ~  Member Since: March 22 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 16 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Dr. John
Switcher

GMOAvatar

Posted - February 22 2017 :  9:48:44 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Dr. John to Buddylist
Red box era. My first HO set was the Burlington GP-20 with the unloading box car, dumping hopper, etc. smooth running diesel and nice detail on the rolling stock. Received it in 1968 when I was 8 years old. Still have the Virginian hopper and Burlington caboose from that set.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 37  ~  Member Since: January 02 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

cadetpwr
Big Six

Posted - July 27 2017 :  8:58:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add cadetpwr to Buddylist
Dry communtator bearings in a PT are the source of the squeel. Being the shaft is super small when compared to other trains, PT's need regular maintance to run well. I prefer the mid brown box era of the late 1970's as thats when my first train sets were made. I am building a super Royal Blue with a Mantua idler gear box from one of thier logging mallets and a can motor. Giving me 2 Royal blues. One that is mint with PT tender drive and smoke, and one that will run as good as it looks!! Mike
Still NT's, I have Aspergers.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 308  ~  Member Since: November 17 2008  ~  Last Visit: June 05 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Doug Gosha
Switcher

RevellAvatar

Posted - August 01 2017 :  12:47:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Doug Gosha to Buddylist
I narrow it down even further to the early red box era with the "TYCO" in the lower right hand corner instead of at the top. The later red box trains were about the same as early brown box.

I still like them all, really. It's just that I love the sound of the MU-2 motor. And the steamers are fabulous! Especially the kits. Nothing like putting a Mikado or Pacific together and then watching it run on the tracks. I realize the steam kits extended across several eras.

Oh, and the PT motor bearing? Lubricate it with automotive wheel bearing grease instead of oil. It won't dry out or get flung off like oil and lasts indefinitely. And the motor still runs fine. Well, as fine as a PT motor can run, anyway.

Doug

Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Edited by - Doug Gosha on August 01 2017 1:02:37 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 23  ~  Member Since: May 17 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 15 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - August 01 2017 :  8:48:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:

Oh, and the PT motor bearing? Lubricate it with automotive wheel bearing grease instead of oil. It won't dry out or get flung off like oil and lasts indefinitely. And the motor still runs fine. Well, as fine as a PT motor can run, anyway.

Doug

Originally posted by Doug Gosha - August 01 2017 :  12:47:50 PM

LOL thats what my friend put on a couple of mine!
I think it was STP Oil too
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Doug Gosha
Switcher

RevellAvatar

Posted - August 03 2017 :  12:34:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Doug Gosha to Buddylist
Yeah, STP should work well too. It's thick but slippery and designed to stick to metal surfaces.

Oops, sorry, we have gone off the rails, so to speak.

Doug

Atlas First Generation Motive Power and Treble-O-Lectric. Click on the link:
www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/

Edited by - Doug Gosha on August 03 2017 12:35:45 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 23  ~  Member Since: May 17 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 15 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ricky Tanner
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - June 01 2018 :  2:17:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ricky Tanner to Buddylist
In my opinion, the best era was late blue box 1958 to early red box 1967 era. This is the era of metal bottoms and metal frame w/cast screw in trucks and reliable die cast Mantua steam locos heading up most of the sets. With few exceptions, these offerings were superior to just about any other maker's HO offerings at the time with the exception of the much more costly Maerklin or Fleischmann. The 1958-1968 decade is what I focus on.

I personally like the 4-6-2 Pacifics. The are based on a B&O prototype class P7. I have several and they are excellent runners with a little tinkering and fine tuning.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 40  ~  Member Since: May 23 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - June 02 2018 :  05:23:34 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I think you've settled the question pretty well, Ricky. I have gone to
great lengths to replace all my horrid PT motors. For rolling stock,
I'm quite fascinated with the 60' billboards and how they varied
as the company changed hands to General Foods. I got most
of them, but I am always scanning the horizon for the one
that I don't! I pull a 35 car string, or so, with a triple
powered ABA Athearn BB consist at trains shows.
The artwork is so intriguing, I'd love to build a
display case just so I can ponder them.

Just wondering, is the "Zenith" box car a Tyco
product, or someone else?

Edited by - Chops124 on June 02 2018 05:24:48 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11192  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - June 02 2018 :  06:30:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
I agree as well, the most reliable and detailed era of Tyco production was the "Red Box Era" -- with MU-2 style motors remaining "old and faithful" some 50 years later. I have a few Tyco "Red Box Era" F7's/9's, and they are utterly amazing.
"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Concerning Name for my New N-Scale Layout! Topic Next Topic: Where are you all from?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.47 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000