Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 21 ]  [ Total: 21 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 The Builders Depot
 Scenery & Structures
 Scratchbuilding a sandhouse
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann cow crossing , train stop accessory Topic Next Topic: When full service was Full Service  

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 03 2016 :  03:05:27 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I've recently started working on building a sandhouse from scratch, working from plans in "The Boys' Book of Model Railroading". Here's a photo:

The clapboards have progressed considerably since the photo was taken, I'm actually mostly done with that part.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - March 03 2016 :  7:06:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Cool project Zelda. I like your recycled building materials.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - March 03 2016 :  8:47:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like that old fashioned resourceful model railroading.
Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - March 04 2016 :  08:29:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
I've recently started working on building a sandhouse from scratch, working from plans in "The Boys' Book of Model Railroading". Here's a photo:

The clapboards have progressed considerably since the photo was taken, I'm actually mostly done with that part.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - March 03 2016 :  03:05:27 AM

ZTS:

Nice work. That's a good book, one of the first MRR books I ever owned. My dad, who was into Lionel when he was a boy, had gotten it for me at a used book sale.

Another one by the same author (Raymond F Yates), which concentrates heavily on structures that can be built from common materials, is HOW TO IMPROVE YOUR MODEL RAILROAD. I recommend seeking it out!

I also like that you are using cereal box cardboard. I built many, many buildings this very same way, often following the procedures in those Yates books. It's a good, low-cost material.

As more model shops close, and as costs for materials and models grow higher, we are seeing a return to the creative improvisation of the distant past. Now if only we could get the magazines to acknowledge this fact, perhaps they would be able to find content to fill their shrinking pagecounts...

Edited by - Autobus Prime on March 04 2016 08:34:36 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 04 2016 :  12:39:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Yeah, maybe if Model Railroader would leave the shilling of high-price Walthers, Kato, and Intermountain to the advertisements instead of letting their staff shill too, they would get enough subscribers that the magazine wouldn't be half comprised of ads. Would probably also help if the manufacturers stopped focusing almost exclusively on the rivet-counting whiners with big checkbooks and got back to cranking out the cheap stuff that would be gobbled up en masse by those of us with more modest budgets and who are more concerned with running trains.

Cereal box cardboard is great. It's stiff enough to make a model building's wall, it can be cut easily, it can be glued easily, and we buy and go through a lot of cereal so I have a plentiful supply without spending a dime.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Autobus Prime
Hudson

Posted - March 04 2016 :  2:24:19 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Autobus Prime to Buddylist
quote:
Yeah, maybe if Model Railroader would leave the shilling of high-price Walthers, Kato, and Intermountain to the advertisements instead of letting their staff shill too, they would get enough subscribers that the magazine wouldn't be half comprised of ads. Would probably also help if the manufacturers stopped focusing almost exclusively on the rivet-counting whiners with big checkbooks and got back to cranking out the cheap stuff that would be gobbled up en masse by those of us with more modest budgets and who are more concerned with running trains.

Cereal box cardboard is great. It's stiff enough to make a model building's wall, it can be cut easily, it can be glued easily, and we buy and go through a lot of cereal so I have a plentiful supply without spending a dime.

Originally posted by ZeldaTheSwordsman - March 04 2016 :  12:39:45 PM

Preach it brother Z!

You’ve got to check out the work of E. L. Moore, like pronto. The man spoke your language. And even at the time he was going against the grain, questioning the accepted wisdom.
Read all about him here if you haven’t already:

http://30squaresofontario.blogspot.com/search/label/E%20L%20Moore%20Files
And in the press it's not just the promotion of expensive models themselves, it's the promotion of a whole expensive "play system" that promotes the consumption of even more.

The staging-yard dependent, come-and-go layout portraying a stream of traffic DEPENDS on storing the large part of your expensive models out of sight, out of mind. It depends on having extra trackwork that isn’t used for visual effect. And you’ve just got to have multiples of your “big engine”, strings of cars with different numbers. The massively modeled industries with low compression. Just recently there was a big room-filling ‘switching road’ in MR that had less traffic destinations than the famous Atlas Southside Connecting.

This uses more space. This uses more material. But is this any more realistic?

We’re all railfans now. We watch cars, we look for small differences. But when we’re running trains, we’re crew. Does a brakeman care if he’s pulling the same cut lever on the same boxcar every day? Sometimes in real life he is, there are a lot of small car fleets that basically shuttle back and forth between plants. Does an engineer know the acreage of the plant she’s switching, and does a conductor care at all about a boxcar’s paint scheme or exact-size rivets, or anything at all beyond the reporting marks and number?

The new way is a show, but the old way was a game. And we can still play the game. The little industries, scaled-down, are a distorted representation, just like the simplified graphics in Sid Meier’s Railroad Tycoon, but they represent the heart of the matter better than any staging-driven floor show: getting things, and people, from one place to another.

And that’s what this is really about.

Edited by - Autobus Prime on March 04 2016 2:24:53 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 432  ~  Member Since: March 04 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 28 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 04 2016 :  9:04:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Well, I would personally take the perspective that when running a model layout we're both crew and railfan, and that doing it as both show and game can be fun. (Example: layouts like the Reverend W. Awdry built, in which offsite staging was the minority of the ltrack and was used to save space while simulating things getting from place to place even in a 4x6 space). But even from a railfan perspective, when you watch a train in action I think that you're going to be paying more attention to how many cars, what kinds, and where they're going or where they came from if you can see it.... Regardless, the press' increasing slant of "The expensive way is the only right way", no suggestions for cheap models or scratchbuilding techniques in staff articles.. ugh. And again, made worse by expensive models increasingly becoming the only models available new (And the people who insist on manufacturers making cars be available with umpteen road numbers already on 'em because they can't be arsed to put on decals)..

Regarding the house, I've finished the clapboards, should have a photo up soon

Edited by - ZeldaTheSwordsman on March 04 2016 9:06:02 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 04 2016 :  10:58:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
And here it is:

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 05 2016 :  8:34:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
What did you use for the siding?
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 06 2016 :  01:59:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Paper, cut into strips a scale foot wide

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - March 06 2016 :  12:56:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Cool. What do you plan on using for the roof material? I found an article in a magazine
that showed how to make shingles from a Reader's Digest magazine. Tried it and the results
really looked good, especially after I painted them black and then weathered them.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 07 2016 :  01:53:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I plan on cutting the shingles out of construction paper. Should give the right look.

Got the sandhouse painted. Now I just need to do the roof, the conveyors, and the interior. Oh, and the sand bunker of course. Can't forget the sand bunker.

Edited by - ZeldaTheSwordsman on March 07 2016 12:45:24 PM

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - March 07 2016 :  12:29:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Man, that is starting to look real good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 09 2016 :  11:44:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Why, thank you.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 20 2016 :  5:00:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Zelda, you should just BUY a sandhouse!

I'll be the rent you went out and dug a very
deep hole with a shovel that you hand forged
to mine your own turquoise and ground it
up in a carved stone mortar and pestal to
make your own paint that you diluted
with turpentine that you tapped from a
pine tree that you planted as a seedling
40 years ago.

Edited by - Chops124 on March 20 2016 5:16:01 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 21 2016 :  12:08:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
No, I just bought a bottle of Apple Barrel paint at a yard sale :P

dastumer
Switcher

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 21 2016 :  10:14:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add dastumer to Buddylist
What do you plan on using for the roof? I need some ideas for some missing roofs on some buildings I've got.
-Peter
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 97  ~  Member Since: June 11 2015  ~  Last Visit: April 07 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - March 21 2016 :  11:29:03 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Peter, read the first line of the post with the picture of the painted building.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 21 2016 :  6:14:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Posted - March 07 2016 : 01:53:30 AM Link directly to this reply Show Profile Email Poster Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist Reply with Quote

I don' see it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 21 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 01 2016 :  8:43:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
quote:
I like that old fashioned resourceful model railroading.

Originally posted by scsshaggy - March 03 2016 :  8:47:02 PM

Being a shake-the-box kind of guy myself, this is pretty amazing stuff. When is
the next installment, Zelda?

Edited by - Chops124 on April 01 2016 8:44:42 PM

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - April 01 2016 :  10:10:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Next installment is whenever I get around to finishing the shingles.

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 14 2016 :  11:41:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Zelda, it's been two weeks now. Why don't you
just go out and BUY some?

Edited by - Chops124 on April 14 2016 11:41:48 PM

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - April 17 2016 :  4:59:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I was preoccupied with school crap and the Pinkcific

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - April 17 2016 :  10:16:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Schoolkrap. You teach or studying? Why not just
buy your degree from University of Haiti, like
I did?

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - April 18 2016 :  12:11:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Studyling. And because even if I had the money to do that my mom would axe-murder and/or disown me.
  Previous Topic: Bachmann cow crossing , train stop accessory Topic Next Topic: When full service was Full Service  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.33 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000