Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 9 ]  [ Total: 9 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 US-1 Trucking Rebuild/Refurb
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: WHYYYY???? Topic Next Topic: minimum voltage output on a Tyco transformer?  

bucky_ee
Switcher

Posted - January 30 2016 :  4:49:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bucky_ee to Buddylist
My name is Len and I am new to the forum. I have had a nice selection of US1 trucks since the early 80s when I got them as a kid. I recently brought them out to start using them with my kids.

Of course, there are some things that need work. I have cleaned the tracks, contacts and other obvious areas. I have also lubed the parts that I can reach just from taking the body off. The problem is, I think that I need to do a deeper teardown to get at the gearbox and other parts.

I have looked around quite a bit on the internet and really haven't found a resource for taking the chassis apart safely. I see what I think are tabs that hold things together, but I am leery of breaking parts as these are quite old pieces.

Does anyone know of a link to a tear down video or site? In lieu of that, would you be willing to pass along a post or pictures of the process? I know this is a large ask, but this forum definitely seems to be very knowledgeable. There are several layouts that really inspire me to do more (slotcardan's for instance).

Any assistance you can offer is greatly appreciated.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: January 23 2016  ~  Last Visit: February 14 2016 Alert Moderator 

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - January 30 2016 :  5:01:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Hi, Len! Welcome to the forum! Walt
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - February 01 2016 :  2:12:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
i use a set of micro screw drivers and i carefully push back some tabs.

for the tyco us-1 i usually just use my fingers and apply pressure and the motor pops out just fine no chassis damage.

Worse case you replace the chassis with another one you can get them off ebay or at train slot car shows.

biggest issue with us-1 is getting the rear weight out you usually need a small flat head to pry it out on one side.

usually hair wraps itself around everything.

use a toothbrush and an xacto blade to tease the hairs out. i do not recommend pulling the wheels off the axles the plastic usually cracks and then your only option is gluing the wheels back on and after a while they start to slip on the axle shafts and make a mess.

the paddle gears are always split on these trucks, the plastic shrinks over time and the paddle gear splits between the teeth. this crack changes the tooth spacing between 2 of the teeth on the gear and causes the worm gear to jam up the chassis. the paddle will usually not slip on the shaft due to splines so what i do is use a xacto and shave the 2 teeth around the crack down narrower this allows the worm to not jam on the paddle.

i also lap the gears to make sure they are nice and smooth.

Edited by - slotcardan on February 01 2016 2:17:38 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: October 28 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 07 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bucky_ee
Switcher

Posted - February 02 2016 :  09:30:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bucky_ee to Buddylist
Dan,

Thank you for your reply. I will move forward with a bit more confidence. It is definitely good to know that the motor comes out without much effort.

Great information on the gearing. I have at least one truck where the paddle gear must have shrunk. I will have to get some materials to be able to lap the gears, but that is not something I would have found quickly.

Thanks again for the information. I really appreciate it.

Regards,
Len
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3  ~  Member Since: January 23 2016  ~  Last Visit: February 14 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

slotcardan
Switcher

Posted - February 02 2016 :  12:38:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add slotcardan to Buddylist
i have some general information on my website
http://www.tycotcrracing.com/projects/performance-tips/
if you scroll down to "Lapping Gears"
i use polish compound #7 its aggressive but works better then toothpaste.

just put some on the paddle gear and then run with a 9 volt in forward and reverse for about 30-60 seconds a direction then wash with soap and water to get all the compound out, use a toothbrush to get it out of the corners.

the dry and relube.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 50  ~  Member Since: October 28 2015  ~  Last Visit: December 07 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: WHYYYY???? Topic Next Topic: minimum voltage output on a Tyco transformer?  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.2 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000