Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 NOW what is up with Life-Like?!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Life-Like Couplers and Bogies Topic Next Topic: Subway Cars  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - January 18 2016 :  1:25:50 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I've noticed online, for the past couple of months, the only HO Life-Like train set that has been available in stock is the Santa Fe Flyer (six-unit freight train with Santa Fe Warbonnet F7 diesel and log-dump car, Snap-Loc commuter station kit, dumping station, a few autos, signs and poles, and a 56x38" oval of Power-Loc track.) All the others are out of stock, and the expectation date for them is all "unknown." It's been this way for quite some time now, compared to previously when they did have many of the train sets available.

I have been hearing rumors Walthers is going to do improvements with the Life-Like train sets once they run out of stock on the "older" ones. I heard a few sources say that they will instead use Walthers Trainline or Proto 1000 locomotives, instead of the old PowerDrive pancake motor diesels they've been making since the '80s. I will say, it would be good to have better motive power for the Life-Like sets, but I think it'd be a bit better if they kept the existing locomotive toolings (mainly the F7 and the GP38-2s), but improve their mechanics by giving them can motors with all-wheel drive, sort of similar to what Bachmann began doing with their train set-quality locomotives in the late '90s, along with Model Power's lower-end locomotives.
I imagine the rolling stock and everything else would probably stay the same, but they will finally do away with the horn-hook couplers, in favor of using the newer Life-Like knuckle couplers on the rolling stock.
In fact, I heard that some time last year, Walthers quietly took their existing Life-Like sets and replaced the horn-hooks with knuckle couplers, though they don't state it on the packaging or online, unlike when they tried using the knuckle couplers in the mid-to-late 2000s (only to go back to the horn-hooks.) This would be a VERY smart move, as not only are knuckle couplers much better and more realistic, but just about everyone else is using them too. While the F7 locomotives used the Life-Like knuckle couplers, I recall the GP38-2s instead used Bachmann's E-Z Mate couplers (like the Trainline products), due to them taking larger-hole couplers than the other products do.
On that subject, I have noticed the Life-Like knuckle couplers seem to be a really strong seller. I guess a lot of people figured out they are a quick and easy way to upgrade existing/older Life-Like stuff, along with AHM, IHC and TYCO rolling stock as well.

I do hope that stuff is true about Walthers improving their train sets that way, so the Life-Like name can still live on!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 18 2016 :  1:48:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah cause am still looking for the old model kits & cars
one I REALLY won't get is a unassembled McDonald's kit
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 18 2016 :  2:27:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
Given that this is Walthers, I'm worried that this equipment updating, if true, is intended to try and turn Life-Like into a high-price brand...

Why won't you get an unassembled McDonald's kit, microbusss? Has the price been collectorflated to the point that it costs more than the $60 Vollmer kit?

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - January 21 2016 :  3:45:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
THe F7 and GP 38 molds are very outdated and though they can be nmade to look decent, Walthers is better off replacing the poor running pancake engines that are currently sold in their sets. They are the poorest running locomotives and even with proper lube and clean wheels run poorly. If the goal is to attract more people into the hobby then adding the F3, GP15 FA GP-9 or any other loco from the Proto or Trainline series would be a huge boost to the starter set market. It is a decent engine that is worthy of keeping and upgrading to DCC. I wonder how many people got turned off from the hobby after purchasing a cheap life like set. Kudos to Walthers.
If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - January 22 2016 :  08:00:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
I seriously hope they will change to proto 2000 locomotives and rolling stock, and update their accessories and buildings too
I started out with life like so I'd be glad to see the name continue
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - February 18 2016 :  05:55:02 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Walthers has been slowly phasing out the brand name from what I can see.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - February 18 2016 :  06:03:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
I seriously hope they will change to proto 2000 locomotives and rolling stock, and update their accessories and buildings too

Originally posted by bnsfIA - January 22 2016 :  08:00:01 AM

I too, had some Life-Like as a kid and now. Love their old buildings and light ups! They will always be "Life-Like to me no matter who owns them or what they rename them..
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

thebigcon4800
Switcher

LIRRAvatar

Posted - March 07 2016 :  1:05:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add thebigcon4800 to Buddylist
quote:

P2k in big box stores? If that happened...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 16  ~  Member Since: February 08 2016  ~  Last Visit: October 19 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - March 07 2016 :  3:02:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

P2k in big box stores? If that happened...

Originally posted by thebigcon4800 - March 07 2016 :  1:05:17 PM

That would be sweet
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - August 03 2016 :  11:25:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Unfortunately, according to the Walthers website, Walthers has now discontinued all the Life-Like train sets. It's the end of an era... :(
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 03 2016 :  11:42:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Well of course. They want to sell more TrainLine sets. I had my share of LL locomotives, and they were good runners for the cost. I can't justify $100-200 on a locomotive. I remember when you could get a good old Life-Like Roadrunner set with an F7, Swift reefer, hopper and caboose with a circle of track for like 30 bucks.

Not a perfect start, but something. Now it's hard to find a cheap train set for under $100 bucks. LL is right up there with Tyco for the "inexpensive" trains. Truly the end of an era.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - August 04 2016 :  09:26:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Sad. Started with life like. Hate to see them gone.

DanMacK

SilverStreak

Posted - August 05 2016 :  9:19:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add DanMacK to Buddylist
Life-like, IHC, Model Power, Tyco. Only brand left from our childhood is Bachmann... lol
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 429  ~  Member Since: January 01 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 14 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - August 05 2016 :  10:04:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
quote:
Life-like, IHC, Model Power, Tyco. Only brand left from our childhood is Bachmann... lol

Originally posted by DanMacK - August 05 2016 :  9:19:46 PM

and Athearn?

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - August 05 2016 :  10:58:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Seems Walthers buys out people and toss the tooling to sea. I want the Proto line to return. Especially the steamers.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - August 05 2016 :  11:56:25 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:

and Athearn?

Originally posted by bnsfIA - August 05 2016 :  10:04:52 PM

Yep. And Model Power is now back, as a division of MRC.
Walthers still makes and sells the Life-Like Power-Loc track (in steel only though) and Code 100 nickel-silver snap track, the Life-Like building kits and action accessories, and some scenic products (such as the classic foam tunnels and grass mats.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - August 06 2016 :  11:14:35 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by DanMacK - August 05 2016 :  9:19:46 PM

and Athearn?

Originally posted by bnsfIA - August 05 2016 :  10:04:52 PM

Ahearn wasn't a brand I could afford as a child, I used my allowance to buy HO trains, usually on sale after Christmas ( my Dad made me "save" most of my money, then he blew a lot of mine in the Savings and Loan disaster of the 1970's....sigh), so it was usually Tyco or AHM, the occasional Lima. Athearn was NEVER put on sale that I recall. So I had none as a child of the 70's. Mine were all toy trains, not scale quality trains. I eventually wound up buying some nice ones in my 20's, but that was after my childhood years were past.

Jerry in VA

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kristofer4301
Hudson

meirl

Posted - August 29 2016 :  10:45:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kristofer4301 to Buddylist
Just checked Walther's website. Rest in peace man. Started with Life Like. Loved them as a kid. Would have been nice if they just updated the drives and kept the tooling. Sad to see them go. However, Walther's trainline train set are pretty good but not as good as Athearn or Atlas's offerings. Life Like trains would have filled a niche market. The market being children (5-12?) getting into the hobby. Trainline, Athearn, and Atlas are more teen/adult trains in my opinion.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 412  ~  Member Since: October 23 2015  ~  Last Visit: June 12 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - August 30 2016 :  7:07:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I find the Walthers Trainline sets to be similar to the current Bachmann HO train sets; the locomotives are very similar in terms of quality (decently-designed bodies, all-wheel drive, flywheel can motor, etc.), and they both currently use mostly steel E-Z Track (with the exception of Bachmann's DCC sets, which use nickel-silver E-Z Track), and they use the same basic E-Z Mate knuckle couplers. But the rolling stock on those Bachmann sets use plastic wheels, while the Trainline rolling stock always uses metal wheels. Though at least with the Bachmann sets, some come with accessories like signs and telephone poles and (unpainted figures), maybe a Plasticville building kit as well, which can inspire the young modeler to begin setting up a model railroad layout.
One thing I enjoyed about the Life-Like sets, and many older Bachmann, AHM and TYCO sets, was how they came with some accessories in addition to the trains, track and controls.

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 17 2016 :  06:42:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
I have found this post rather interesting.

I am in the UK - My thing is combining trains and slot cars as roadways. I am not a modeller, but just love having lots of trains and cars whizzing around and intereacting. I ended up drawn into Life-Like in 2008 when my wife caught me eyeing up a High Iron and Burnin' Rubber set on you tube and bought me one. It was and is a lot of fun!

I was able to extend this and add more stock, track and buildings, some of it bought direct from Walthers, who were very helpful to a customer like me so far away.

However a few years ago I noticed that there were fewer items shown as available. Then came that announcement that they were switching to Knuckle couplers, but instead of being born again, the range just seems to have fizzled out, or perhaps it has been killed off?

As anounced the Life-Like racing side of it has been sold to Harden Creek, so that appears to spell the end of that wonderful road and rail set that drew me into the range in the first place.

Obviously there is still plenty of product around and I can always plunder e-bay, even finding the odd item here in the UK, but I mourn what seems to be the end of an excellent and fun 'toy end' model railway series. Possibly Life-Like was the last of so many similar toy end lines? Be interested to see what others think.

In the UK we have had several toy end ranges, but over the years they all either went out of business, amalgamated or followed a trend that went obsessively towards scale models. These became highly detailed and very delicate models and all moved far away from the table top or temporary layout on the floor concept.

One of the features I really loved about Life-Like was the Power-Loc track system, which was so robust and user friendly. I love the strength and durability that virtually all other ready to run track (except E-Z) lacks. Most train sets that are sold to children seem to end up binned once the track is trashed. Life-Like had thought of that.

Sad that it seems to be over now.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on December 17 2016 07:20:37 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

time warp
Little Six

AHMLogoAvatar

Posted - December 17 2016 :  08:32:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add time warp to Buddylist
It's funny that Model Power is still here, having a lot of their line based on old Marx molds.
They started out as a European importer, now China sourcing old American trains. Hilarious! But I love em.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 158  ~  Member Since: June 21 2016  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - December 18 2016 :  06:08:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks for the reminder about Model Power.

I have heard of thier products and seen a few over here. I have just checked out what is currently available on their web site. They seem to have access to some of the old Tyco/Mantua tooling as well, unless I am misunderstanding what they are saying?

Sadly it does not see to be a complete system, the track range available appears to be very limited. It would be interesting to know the origins of the track that they sell.

Glad to see that they are still around.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on December 18 2016 06:09:03 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Heihachi_73
Switcher

Posted - March 31 2017 :  1:10:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heihachi_73 to Buddylist
The only fault I can give my GP38-2 (bought new in 2010) is that it stalls on some turnouts due to the plastic wheels, and the fact that they made the coupler boxes sit way too high. If only it had metal drive wheels and all wheel pickup like the equivalent (pancake motor/horn hooks) Bachmann models did.
 Country: Australia  ~  Posts: 89  ~  Member Since: April 29 2016  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Life-Like Couplers and Bogies Topic Next Topic: Subway Cars  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.19 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000