Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 11 ]  [ Total: 11 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Polling Station
 Is your layout DC or DCC?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Has the hobby become to expensive? Topic Next Topic: What style to use for my streamliner 4-8-4  

bnsfIA
Big Six

BNSFAvatar

Posted - October 10 2015 :  11:05:28 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add bnsfIA to Buddylist
Poll Question:
Is your layout DC or DCC?

Choices:

DC
DCC
Both, more DC
Both, more DCC

(Anonymous Vote)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 280  ~  Member Since: October 13 2014  ~  Last Visit: July 13 2017 Alert Moderator 

catfordken

SREnglishGentlemanAvatar

Posted - October 10 2015 :  11:28:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send catfordken a Yahoo! Message  Add catfordken to Buddylist
would cost me far to much to convert,but for those who are new to hobby its the way to go,but expect your pockets to be emptied quicker than with dc
catfordken
if you cannot see the light at the end of the tunnel,try turning around
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 8294  ~  Member Since: September 28 2006  ~  Last Visit: October 20 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

pacbelt
Switcher

LIRRDashingAvatar

Posted - October 11 2015 :  01:56:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add pacbelt to Buddylist
There are times I wish I stayed DC... (like trying to get new "toys" on a meager military pension)...
BUT, running trains independently, on the SAME track, being able to "program out" some locomotive's
deficiencies, SOUND, and Keep-Alive - seems all worth it to me!!
We have different opinions on that, and that's OK!

Carmine - CEO, Engineer, and Chief Bottle Washer
Pacific Belt RR, in HO Scale, Since 1975!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 82  ~  Member Since: September 27 2015  ~  Last Visit: October 26 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - October 11 2015 :  02:02:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Mine is completely DC. Had DC layout in the mid 70s, my present will remain old school...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - October 11 2015 :  03:01:48 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Strictly DC! I understand it better. And trying to convert 100 locomotives over would bankrupt me!
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - October 11 2015 :  9:53:55 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I like DC because it tolerates momentary short circuits and high draw motors. I can own and tinker with locomotives that would not be worth the price of a decoder to me.

After a somewhat high-tech career, it's a nice hobby to play with electricity that is not really electronics.

Sure, it would be nice, in the switching yard, to be able to run a couple of engines in the same track blocks, but typically, my layout doesn't have enough going on at once to merit the power of DCC.

I'll stick with cheap, simple and crowbar tough.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - October 17 2015 :  11:03:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
At some point I have plans to convert me Britomannia
layout to DCC. Having two operators keeping two or
even four trains in constant motion is a gas. I've done
it before on my prior N de M layout, and we had up to
five or six trains on one mainline humming at once.
It was killer fun. Even though I have the old MRC
DCC pack, think I might take a swing on the Bachmann
Command thingy. The simplicity of it appeals to me.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

oldtimer52
Big Boy

0ldtime

Posted - October 19 2015 :  11:42:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add oldtimer52 to Buddylist
Ditto here on the DC only as well. Most of the locos I have are open frame motors
and I understand that DCC doesn't play well with them. I have tried to DCC the
General I made, but results have been so-so. However, when we tested it on the
speed, the little bugger would creep along at about 5 miles an hour, scale. Not
bad for a 47 yo electric motor. Long term running on the track was not so good.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 865  ~  Member Since: September 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: May 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

zebrails
Big Boy

Zebrail Drivers

Posted - October 27 2015 :  8:24:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send zebrails a Yahoo! Message  Add zebrails to Buddylist
I'm gonna make my layout do both... granted, I gotta build my layout, First.
But, I will begin by wiring it up as dcc and then make cuts afterwards, and conversion switches following.
Gasoline or diesel... both!

John

I don't have a one track mind. It depends on the turn-out.
"I love your catenary!"
Is that a power-trip or just another pick-up line?
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 1124  ~  Member Since: December 15 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 30 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redwoods
Big Boy

NWPAvatar

Posted - October 30 2015 :  3:14:02 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redwoods to Buddylist
I built my layout using a two-cab system, so each block could be switched to Cab A or Cab B. I originally had two DC power packs, but now I run a DC power pack on Cab A and DCC on Cab B. About a third of my loco fleet is DCC, but I end up running DCC 95% of the time because it's easier to run. I don't have to think about which cab to use, I just flip all the blocks to Cab B.

BTW, I use an Aristocraft DC wireless throttle on Cab A. It's a joy to use because I can get right up next to the loco when I'm controlling it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1083  ~  Member Since: July 07 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 17 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - November 01 2015 :  12:17:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I used DC trains until last year. When I was building my current 9X8 L-shaped layout, I initially planned it to be DC with a few blocks controlled by a TYCO blocking controller and Atlas connector. I then had a bit of trouble with the TYCO controller, so I removed it and the gaps. A month after the initial track and scenery were laid, the benchwork completed and running trains, I decided to move up to DCC. To make it easy to upgrade, I bought the Bachmann E-Z Command control unit that comes with a DCC-equipped locomotive. Naturally, I chose the one including a BNSF GP40, as the BNSF was my main railroad of choice (and still is.)

I caught on rather quickly reading the instructions, and in no time I had that locomotive programmed and running! I'll never forget the excitement of the locomotive starting to hum and then move as I turned the throttle knob (lower-end Bachmann DCC locomotives make a low humming sound as they operate.) The locomotive was a pretty good choice for my first DCC logo; a pretty good shell (not super-detailed, but still an improvement over Bachmann's GP40s of the 70s and 80s), all-wheel drive and pickup, a good reliable can motor with dual flywheels, and LED lighting!
Setup was easy, too. I just unhooked the terminal rail joiners from my existing power pack, connected them to the included "universal" track wire, plugged it into the control unit, and it was all set to go! I still needed an adequate AC power source for my turnouts and TYCO operating accessories, so I used an old TYCO 899B power pack for that purpose.
I would mostly just run trains with that one BNSF locomotive and occasionally a DC one, as you can run a single analog locomotive on an E-Z Command layout as long as you are careful with it. That gave me my first taste of two-train control, and it was certainly interesting. Then I bought a second DCC-equipped locomotive, a Bachmann Santa Fe FTA warbonnet diesel. Soon I began to upgrade DC locomotives; I later got a DCC-ready Proto 2000 GP9 that allowed for an easy plug-and-play installation, and hard-wired a few Walthers Trainline diesels (they are a relatively easy hardwire install job when it comes to decoder installation). All these upgraded locomotives had TCS decoders installed, as they are a good affordable choice, and work on the E-Z Command system.

Going to DCC was one of the best decisions I made when it came to model railroading. And it also makes lighted bumpers and passenger cars look pretty cool, too!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

shaygetz
Big Boy

Posted - November 01 2015 :  12:24:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add shaygetz to Buddylist
DC here, and old school MRC Golden Throttle Packs in particular...I've always liked the look and feel of them...many fond memories of those early days...
 Posts: 2465  ~  Member Since: April 15 2007  ~  Last Visit: December 01 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - November 10 2015 :  01:43:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
quote:
At some point I have plans to convert me Britomannia
layout to DCC. Having two operators keeping two or
even four trains in constant motion is a gas. I've done
it before on my prior N de M layout, and we had up to
five or six trains on one mainline humming at once.
It was killer fun. Even though I have the old MRC
DCC pack, think I might take a swing on the Bachmann
Command thingy. The simplicity of it appeals to me.

Originally posted by Chops124 - October 17 2015 :  11:03:58 AM

I am starting my first layout and using Bachmann E-Z command DCC system. Your right about it being simple to use. No you don't have a half dozen horns or bells and you can't change the volume of the horns. What you do get is an simple to use command controller that can operate up to 9 DCC engines and 1 DC engine at the same time. Changing codes is also very easy. You can find great deals on the Bachmann E-Z command on eBay. I paid less than half of the MSRP. I suggest that if you are going to DCC and want simple and low cost the Bachmann E-Z command is the way to go.

Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 06 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Eddystone
Switcher

ErieAvatar

Posted - November 24 2015 :  2:12:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Eddystone to Buddylist
quote:
Ditto here on the DC only as well. Most of the locos I have are open frame motors
and I understand that DCC doesn't play well with them.

Originally posted by oldtimer52 - October 19 2015 :  11:42:30 PM

I'm strictly DC also, but wanted to point out that the main reason open frame motors don't mix with DCC is the current draw. Replacing the old original alnico magnets with newer neodymium rare earth magnets is cheap and simple and DRAMATICALLY reduces current draw. These magnets are available in sizes that fit perfectly into old Mantua motors and they do make them run better, as well. I've been experimenting with remotoring some of my engines and have noted that many of the can motors available cheaply are three-pole armatures whereas the Mantuas are five-pole. If you update the magnets and add a phosphor bronze thrust washer to take up some of the fore-aft motion in the armature, these old motors may run better than many can motors in common use. I have also experimented with replacing the old plastic worm gear with a better and more precise brass worm gear and have noticed a big reduction in noise. Unfortunately, brass worms for the 2.3mm Mantua shafts are mostly NWSL and very pricey.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7  ~  Member Since: September 26 2014  ~  Last Visit: June 25 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - January 28 2016 :  3:10:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
Im currently selling my dc fleet to finance my complete conversion over to DCC. Im about 70% complete. For a while, I contemplated running both but figured that it was easier to convert the locos I wanted to convert and sell the ones I don't use. I have amassed about 200 or so locomotives so naturally that number had to be reduced (eventhough it keeps growing).

Here are the standards for my layout.
Brands: Bachmann (bluebox and above), Atlas (my personal favorite), Kato (have just a few but great runners), Athearn Bluebox (minimum) Atheart RTR, Genesis, Proto 1000 and 2000 (substantial part of fleet) and a few others.
Decoders: This is a make or break. You need a fleet decoder at a reasonable price. I use the NCE system and buy NCE decoders. (10 pack). It comes out to about $12 per decoder and these are durable decoders with 4 functions. (I have only had trouble with digitrax decoders.)
Wiring: Most non dcc ready are hardwired. That goes for all brands except RTR. The decoder I use can be used as a quik plug. Avoid the brand specific ones for P2K especially as they tend to go for about 25. That is unless you only have a few to convert.
Lighting: LED lighting is the way to go.
OVerall I spend less that 20 bucks per loco when I upgrade to DCC (including the lighting). not a bad tradeoff. Of course it can get quite expensive so to each their own. The benefits in my case are worth it.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - May 15 2016 :  8:51:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
DC cause its cheap to buy & get
I'd rather spend $500 on LOTS of trains
instead of ONE loco
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Has the hobby become to expensive? Topic Next Topic: What style to use for my streamliner 4-8-4  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.28 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000