Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 19 ]  [ Total: 19 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Marx Motive Power, Rolling Stock and Accessories
 How reliable are Marx motors compared to Tyco?
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Marx water tower? Topic Next Topic: First set was a Marx...Still got it!  

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 25 2015 :  6:35:20 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I rarely buy Tyco locomotives any more because the motors are so flaky. Are Marx motors
reliable?

The pieces posted under Kovacste's thread caught my attention. How pricey is Marx?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 25 2015 :  8:39:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
I don't remember the name of my thread, honestly. Is it the one with the caboose?
Edited by - toptrain on September 25 2015 9:01:48 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 26 2015 :  03:54:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Yes, a black Marx NH caboose. Some discussion about if it even
existed. If I find one, I'll let you know.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 26 2015 :  6:29:50 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Yes, a black Marx NH caboose. Some discussion about if it even
existed. If I find one, I'll let you know.

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 26 2015 :  03:54:57 AM

Oh, okay.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

tkruger
Big Six

Posted - September 28 2015 :  09:50:59 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add tkruger to Buddylist
I am not tring to put any brand down in what I about to say. This is just what I have found over the years. All of the non DCC and older locomotives have been dropping in price. I have seen and bought $40 DC P2k that were NOS at shows.

I have watch for junk boxes containing old Atheran Blu Box locomotives or ones in need of repair. A little work and these are bullet proof decent runners. Most Tyco and other brands of shells can be retrofitted to fit this drive train.

Both Tyco and Marx I have stopped attempting to fix for this reason. I just retrofit the shell. As a side benifit my fleet uses a common set of spare parts, easier to prepare for breakdowns.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 332  ~  Member Since: August 28 2010  ~  Last Visit: April 23 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - September 29 2015 :  11:11:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Good to know. Thanks. Think I will stick to my plan of
finding Blue Box motive power to haul Tyco consists.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11193  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ricky Tanner
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - May 27 2018 :  7:21:46 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ricky Tanner to Buddylist
quote:
I rarely buy Tyco locomotives any more because the motors are so flaky. Are Marx motors
reliable?

The pieces posted under Kovacste's thread caught my attention. How pricey is Marx?

Originally posted by Chops124 - September 25 2015 :  6:35:20 PM

The Marx F3 and GP diesels are fair runners. I say fair because they are noisy. The ones I have run actually run smooth and are OK pullers. There's a lot of "slop" factor in the tolerances and that causes gear noise. The Hudsons are junk. I have nine and they barely work. Poor design. The smaller 4 wheel steamers and diesels are poor runners due to power pick up issues.

To answer you questions, no Marx loco can match the reliability of the larger Mantua-Tyco steam engines (2-8-2,4-6-2). The Mantua-Tyco diesels and Marx 8 wheel diesels are about even on noise and running qualities. Neither are in the class of Blue Box Athearn.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 40  ~  Member Since: May 23 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - May 27 2018 :  7:40:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thanks Ricky, this information will save me a lot of aggravation.
I've enjoyed picking up the occasional Marx car, here and there,
a dollar or two, and I have been amazed how well they track.
I love the clunky pre-Tyco look, and pay a buck or two
when I stumble over one. I have a Marx diesel switcher,
it runs, but I wouldn't attempt to run it slowly.
  Previous Topic: Marx water tower? Topic Next Topic: First set was a Marx...Still got it!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000