Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 17 ]  [ Total: 17 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Mantua Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Mantua 0-4-0 Booster
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: 0-4-0 and Little 6 Valve Gear Topic Next Topic: cast metal Mantua/Tyco  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 06 2015 :  3:23:56 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I've had this Mantua Booster a spell. I'm thinking it's the 1980 era version (came with horn hook couplers). I'd gone over it when I got it, but it wasn't running top notch and I wanted to change the couplers to be able to pull or push the Mantua Metal cars with hook and loop couplers.

The photo above is from when I finished the initial restoration. The photo below is with a new set of magnets.

And here, now with the hook and loop couplers, it's first job is moving a couple empty gondolas.

and an action shot . . .

[tubehttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJeFygGmN9A&feature=youtube_gdata] [/tube]
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

richard p
Little Six

Posted - June 10 2015 :  7:26:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Very nice. How much of a difference did the magnets make? Also, try and find a jewel for the "lights" - 101% better looking.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 10 2015 :  10:18:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
Another possibility if you can't find a jewel is to bore out a cone-shaped hole and glue a piece of clear plastic over it. For example, here I drilled a small pilot hole to get the hole centered right and then cut the hole out with a countersink bit (shown):

I then used a 1/8" paper punch to cut a clear plastic circle and glued it over the cone-shaped hole with white glue:

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - June 10 2015 :  10:21:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
That's interesting Don! I'll try it sometime. Using clear styrene or lexan?
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - June 11 2015 :  07:25:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
That's interesting Don! I'll try it sometime. Using clear styrene or lexan?
Originally posted by Redneck Justin - June 10 2015 :  10:21:51 PM

I don't know what kind of plastic it was - just some clear plastic I had around, I think like the stuff they used to use on the old overhead projectors.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - June 11 2015 :  09:59:50 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Thanks for the tip Don.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: 0-4-0 and Little 6 Valve Gear Topic Next Topic: cast metal Mantua/Tyco  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.23 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000