Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Loose Ends
 Railroad books.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: The Hallowenn Candy Train! Topic Next Topic: but it was cheaper!  

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 26 2015 :  10:33:08 AM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* I like to share something on this part of railroading. Well everybody lives somewhere else so interest in books on different railroading change.

** The books I am interest in tend to favorite railroads around and at the turn of the century. Pertaining to before and after the year 1900. That is where my modeling has gone to in the last 3 years. My little library reflects this. The author I have the most books by is E.P.Alexander. I have seven." Iron Horse ", 1829-1900. "American Locomotives", 1900-1950. "Down at the Depot", 1831-1920. "On The Main Line", PRR in 19th Century. "Civil War Railroads and Models". "Collectors Book of locomotives". "The Pennsylvania Railroad" complete the seven. Alexander to me favored one of my favorite railroads, the Pennsylvania Railroad. Other PRR books I have are, "I Remember the Pennsy" by Don Wood. "Pennsy Steam and Semaphores", by Fred Westing. " History of the PRR", by Timothy Jacobs. "PRR Hudson the Horseshoe" , William D. Volkmer. "The PRR 1940-1950", By Don Ball Jr..

* edit 7-2-15, I just got "PENNSY POWER II, by ALVIN STAUFER and BERT PENNYPACKER. This is a photo book on steam, diesel, and electric locomotives. A large 352 pages.

* I have been lucky in the last year of finding some interesting books by railroad people like Lacus Beebe. A few with editing assistance from Charles Glegg. " The trains we Rode", "Hear the Train Blow", and "Mansions on Wheels. Also Bert Pennypacker's books "Eastern Steam Pictorial" and "Reading Power Pictorial". My best book found recently is my only Thomas.T. Taber book that I own, " The DL&W Railroad in the 19th Century" . This is a great photo reference book on the DL&W from its beginning to the turn of the century.

*A must have for any steam locomotive enthusiast is Lin Westcott's Cyclopedia off Steam Locomotives. The many pictures here in this book show steam power in all its diversity through the years by wheel arrangement .

* A very different old book is " American Railroads in the 19th Century" by Jim Harter. It is a large book with 320 pages. All views in the book are from old wood engravings. Other books with good info are " The Iron Horse" by Comstock. This book shows what seems to be wood engravings but many are photos digitaly converted to engraving style views. Next here is a book with many photos of other then, but includes many good American railroad prototype photos. "Railways Then and Now" by O.S. Nock. Another book I find good info in is " The locomotives that Baldwin Built" by Fred Westing. Also a huge book, 644 pages and also very big in size on American freight cars is, " The American Freight Car" by White. It is both big and heavy.

* Now my general reading railroad books I would mention are three by Ron Ziel. "Twilight Of Steam", "Steel Rails to Victory", and "American locomotives"1858-1949. There are two by G.B.Abdill, " The Locomotive engineers Album", and " This was Railroading". A book " Train Wrecks", by Robert Reed. If you like to see unique railroad station of brick and stone , though not on American prototypes but English is " Railway Architecture" by Binny and Pearce. This is a book full of interesting railway stations not unlike to ones built here in the USA.

* This rounds out my books that I view the most. I hope you like the post.
toptrain

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on July 02 2015 07:15:06 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator 

richard p
Little Six

Posted - March 27 2015 :  11:44:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add richard p to Buddylist
Excellent - thanks. I knew about the Cyclopedia (on my X-mas list); the others look fascinating.
rich p
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 190  ~  Member Since: December 26 2010  ~  Last Visit: October 02 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 29 2015 :  07:52:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Rich; Thank you for the nice response. If you like to read old books their are a lot of them, free to read, found in on line libraries. You can lose yourself for weeks, and like I do years in these sights. Google has the best known Free E-book library. Internet Archive was the second good one I found. For a few years I've been into the Hagley Museum and library. Some people can and do get into different National Library's in Washington. I have had little success there where others find beautiful book to read through. I just seem to get into links that take me in large circles and don't get anywhere.
* Well good luck Rich. You will really enjoy the first interesting book you find to read on line.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on March 29 2015 07:54:44 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - March 29 2015 :  2:44:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Thank you, will be looking up some of these titles for my
summer reading list, particularly with regard to Civil War
Models. I'm going to look up some of my favorite titles
when I get home and post them to this most interesting
thread.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Locodub
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - March 30 2015 :  6:37:38 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Locodub to Buddylist
The History of the Cumberland Valley Railroad 1835-1919 by Paul J Westhaeffer is a wealth of information on a railroad that became part of the PRR. The railroad shops were destroyed by the Confederate army during the Civil War. I believe the CVRR ran the first sleeping car.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 87  ~  Member Since: March 16 2015  ~  Last Visit: March 22 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

trainfan91
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - March 30 2015 :  6:43:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add trainfan91 to Buddylist
i had quite a few growing up around 6th grade i used to read anything railroad related today i mostly read timetables and rulebooks to plan ops sessions
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 28  ~  Member Since: March 21 2015  ~  Last Visit: July 09 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 20 2015 :  11:19:19 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
Thank you, will be looking up some of these titles for my
summer reading list, particularly with regard to Civil War
Models. I'm going to look up some of my favorite titles
when I get home and post them to this most interesting
thread.

Originally posted by Chops124 - March 29 2015 :  2:44:30 PM

Jeff; Well a good Civil War book, that I have, that is full of good photos is "Civil War Railroads" by George B. Abdill. published by Bonanza Books. 1961.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 20 2015 11:22:01 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

gmoney
Big Boy

SCRF 77

Posted - July 01 2015 :  1:10:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add gmoney to Buddylist
This is not a railroad history book, but it's a bit of an historical look at model railroading. It's an introduction to model railroading aimed an young people. It's copyrighted 1977 and contains quite a bit of Tyco. Here are just a couple of representative pictures:

Glenn

I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, "... I drank what?"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1485  ~  Member Since: December 13 2008  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 01 2015 :  10:08:18 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I checked out that book at the library a few times
I thought what was lame was the O scale RRX sign made out of popsicle sticks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - December 17 2015 :  4:11:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
A little updating of book I recently have gotten.
A book on the Erie railroad by Staufer. A large book full of photos and information on the Erie Railroad. It covers from the earliest time to diesels.

A Pennsylvania railroad book printed in 2001 full of information of a trip made in 1871.
** " Traveling the Pennsylvania Railroad ". The PRR wished to record historical the state of their railroad in 1870. A noted photographer of the time one William H. Rau. was commissioned to record in photographs views along the entire PRR system. He used state of the art equipment for the time. All photo negatives were on glass plats. His set of photos have appeared on display in galleries throughout the country and Europe. They are direct and precise renditions of the past. They are so direct and precise that they can become boring to look through. Very few of the views record life at that time. Most are of the railroad system as it was. I got the book almost a year ago. I looked through it then and haven't opened it since.
* My interest in stations and terminals has always been . A ongoing search for the interesting one. Always looking for information on old stations of my area favorite railroads. I purchased a book titled "Train depots and Roundhouses", by Hans and April Halberstadt. A 2002 printing of a picture book. it is mainly a book on preserved buildings and those that should be preserved. It does lean towards the Architectural aspect of these buildings, and in that makes for a interesting book.
* A second stations book is A reprinted had cover copy of the 1916 "Passenger Terminals and trains BY John A. Droege. A third printing of the original edition. A good book not because of at the time of printed it saved information on old original railroad buildings, for it did no such thing. What it did do was save 1916. It saved places and what they looked like in 1916, all around the country, and spoke in the Architectural terms of Walter G. Berg.
* A third newer book of 1996, " Great American railroad Stations by Janet Potter is a larger book of small pictures of many, many, stations. Some are Historic photos. To bad no book like this ever give dimensions for the buildings, and floor layout plains. Still a good book. Another station book is " The Railroad Station, A Architectural History", by Carroll L.V. Meeks. A 1995 book with good to great info.
* With my search for old information on New Jersey Railroads, two book I have recently acquired, One just in the mail today are. " Railroads in New Jersey, The Formative Years, by John T. Cunningham. A 1997 book that wonderfully fills in the early history of Railroading. A informative and color full book.
* As I said today a book arrived. A small hardcover 1944 printing of a first addition of " From the Hills to the Hudson". by Walter Arndt Lucas. The History of the Patterson and Hudson River railroad. How I feel about it is " It is the Best book I got ". I never thought I would find one. Definitely not a picture book but a history book. A good one.
Here is a 2 page scan of a 1884 map on the left side page, and two views of the first Railroad terminal on the west side of the Hudson River at New York City on the right side page. The map shows the earliest footprint of the first terminal of the Hudson River in New Jersey. On another map I have seen on line and at the Jersey City library is a 1848 map showing the same building footprint as the 1844 map shown here. It all shows 17 dots. They reference the location and number of Romanesque columns that are partially seen in a drawing in the lower corner of the 1848 map showing of the east face of the old first terminal. The only view of the front of this first terminal.

* This is the extent of the information I have now on this 1834 terminal. This is also it seems the only type of info that can be found on this terminal.
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on February 21 2017 07:30:39 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - February 21 2017 :  06:39:14 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I've lost my link for this thread, and found it again today. That is my reason for not keeping it up. My Apologies ! I will try better.

*** In searches I found it from time to time, this forum has the ability to open links some other can not. Even my own search engines wont open this book.

**** The Reading Railroad published a very good book on its motive power.

***** " A Century of Reading Company Motive Power, 1832-1941.
* Printer by the Reading Company.

* This book starts with its first locomotive in the 1830's and goes right up to 1941. The information found here informative.

* The link; Open and enjoy.
frank

*** https://babel.hathitrust.org/cgi/pt?id=coo.31924003951153;view=1up;seq=1

toptrain

weekendrailroader
Little Six

Posted - February 21 2017 :  10:22:53 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add weekendrailroader to Buddylist
quote:
I checked out that book at the library a few times
I thought what was lame was the O scale RRX sign made out of popsicle sticks

Originally posted by microbusss - July 01 2015 :  10:08:18 PM

I also remember checking this book out from the library, and I remember thinking the same thing about that crossbuck!

My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/weekendrailroader?blend=1&ob=video-mustangbase
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 189  ~  Member Since: March 07 2012  ~  Last Visit: March 13 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - February 21 2017 :  11:48:41 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
I will look forward to giving the "Century of Reading..." a proper study. Hard to imagine a world that was once dominated by trains. Now its all airports and traffic jams.

Reflecting on getting young people interested in the hobby, sorry to rain on that parade, but good luck and fat chance. You can't get young people to look up from their social media and video games, let alone catch their attention with a train. Are we the last of the breed? Tycoheads from
the '70's and '80's?

In the El Paso Model Train Club, I could count on one hand the number
of under 21 year olds that have turned up wanting to run trains.

Welll, I be a die hard Tycohead to the bitter end-

Edited by - toptrain on April 11 2017 08:58:25 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 21 2017 :  5:54:52 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
wasn't there a thread in here once about railroad books for children?

I still want that book anyway
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 26 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 11 2017 :  09:09:11 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* ***** I took photos of my book shelf's *****
*** Of these 16 on the left, 12 are mainly the books I use to look up info on Stations. Except for the little green one on English locomotives, and the 3 others on the right, on New Jersey railroads, have little to do with stations.
** Frank

** I have one photo in their shelf position.

** This one is tilted in a direction, so as I hope, to make it easier to read the titles on most of the books.

The list of books seen here are, starting far right to left ,or top to bottom !
( These 4 on New Jersey Railroads).
Railroads and New Jersey, A Rutgers Library published index book on information locations. by Sinclair and Fowler .
From the Hills to the Hudson by Walter Arndt lucas .
From Indian Trails to Iron Horse by Wheaton J. Lane . a New Jersey Railway History Book.
The locomotives of Sir Nigel Gresley by O.S. Nock .
( here on on Sations )
The Railroad Station, A Architectural History, by Carroll L. V. Meeks.
Great American Railroad Stations, by Janet Greenstein .
Railway Station Architecture, by David Lloyd and Donald Insall .
The Railway Station,A Social History, Richards and Mackenze .
Passenger Terminals and Trains, by John A. Droge .
All Stations, Thames and Hudson .
Living in the Depot, by Rodger Grant .
On The Main Line, by E. P. Alexander .
Down at the Depot, by E. P. Alexander .
The Vanishing Depot, by Ranulph Bye .
Traveling the Pennsylvania Railroad, by William H. Rau .

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 01 2017 06:55:34 AM

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - April 11 2017 :  09:29:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
* This is my other book shelf of railroad books.

** Photos are arranged the same as my last post of the Station books.

** Books left to right. Then small stack of books on top .

** Books top ot bottom.

* The Books Are L to R.

Civil War Railroads and Models, by E. P. Alexander.
The Age of Steam, By Lacus Beebe and Charles Clegg .
The Iron Horse, Henry B. Comstock .
Iron Horses, by E.P. Alexander .
Rails Across Central New Jersey, by Ben Jaminl .
Jersey Central Diesels, By Gerard E. Bernet .
American Locomotives 1900 to 1950, By E. P. Alexander .
ERIE Power, by Fred Westing .
The DL&W Railroad in the 19th Century, by Thomas T Taber
The Bell-Del Railroad and communities, by Warren F. Lee and Cathern T. Lee .
The Reading Steam Pictorial, by Bert Pennypacker .
Eastern Power Pictorial By, by Bert Pennypacker .
Pennsylvania Railroad, By Don Ball Jr. .
Pennys Power 2, By Alvin Staufer and Bert Pennypacker .
Pennsy Power, By Alvin Staufer .
History of the Pennsylvania Railroad, BY Timothy Jacobs .
I Remember The Pennsy, By Fred Westing.
The Pennsylvania Railroad, By E. P. Alexander .
Pennsylvania Railroad in Jersey City, by Charles Caldes .
PRR Hudson to Horseshoe, By William Volkmer .
American Railroads in the 19th Century, By Jim Harter .
Railways Then and Now, By O. S. Nock .
Railroads in New Jersey, By John T. Cunningham .
Early trains, By Bryan Morgan .
Railways, by Howard Loxton and Paul Hamlyin .
The Locomotives That Baldwin Built, By Fred Weating.
The Locomotives That Baldwin Built, By Fred Westing . ( second copy )
The Rogers locomotive Catalog - 1876, Intro, by John H. White jr.
The Trains We Rode, By Lacus Bebbe and Charles Clegg .
A Century of Model Trains, by Allen levy .
Steam locomotive Cyclopedia , by Lin Westcott .

Out of sight to the left !
On the 802, by Lawrence Crow.
Age of Steam, by Lacus Bebbe and Charles Glegg .
American Locomotiver in Histor, by Ron Ziel .
Illistrated Treasury of American Locomotives, by O. M. Kerr .
Steel Rails to Victory, by Ron Ziel .
The General, (old still movie shown in still pictures), edited by Richard J. Anobile . A Buster Keaton Film , From the Silent Movie Days !
Hear the Whitsle Blow, by Lacus Bebbe and Charles Glegg .

Small stack of book on top !
Locomotives on Parade, by Edward Hungeerford .
A Collectiors Book of the locomotive, by E. P. Alexander .
book with side lost. American Heritage History of, Railroads in America, by Oliver Jensen .
Locomotive Engineers Album, by George B. Abdill.
Train Wrecks, by Robert C. Reed .
Civil Was Railroads, by George B. Abdill .George B. Bernhart.

On another shelf ! A couple more.
More Classic trains, by Arthur D. Dubin .
Popular Picture and Plain Book, of Cars and Locomotives, by Walter A. lucas .

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on April 14 2017 09:00:19 AM

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - April 13 2017 :  6:49:49 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist
Nice book collection Frank. I have only one book but it has interesting stories about steam engines.

Some interesting railfan stories are also shown in that book.
A person's love of steam engines may have saved his life.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5775  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - April 13 2017 :  7:05:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
didn't we do a thread of children's railroad books sometime ago?
there was a link there of books I had as a kid & want back

Heffington
Switcher

VGNAvatar

Posted - May 29 2017 :  2:17:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Heffington to Buddylist
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm always looking for something good to read and I haven't read most of those.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: November 13 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

southwestforests
Switcher

RockIslandAvatar

Posted - June 01 2017 :  10:54:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add southwestforests to Buddylist
Ahh, railroad books See some familiar titles in here,
Will later do show and tell bout some fun book finds - photos need to be taken first.
For now will put this up because did last night for a comment on a garden railway scale forum.
For all as much as I like RDC, I have only two HO models, a pair of RDC-2 by Life Like.
They have an interesting history. Among other points of that history were the compact high horsepower engines for tanks developed in 1940s. Shotwelding for stainless steel was also a large factor.
Is interesting the work to try to sell rooted-in-the-past RR managements on the practicalness of the RDC. They weren't perfect, but where they worked, they worked well. A couple companies would up with large fleets for commuter services. A couple southwestern RRs used them in totally not projected by the developers types of service and were satisfied with the machines' service and reliability.

“There are a thousand things that can happen when you go light a rocket engine, and only one of them is good.” — Tom Mueller, SpaceX, 2012
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 94  ~  Member Since: May 23 2017  ~  Last Visit: May 26 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 15 2017 :  08:47:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
On last Saturday I acquired a 1981 Faller Catalog. Almost 8 1/2 X 11 3/4. It included HO, N, and Z scale building kits. Also, Faller's own, what appears to be 0n30 Playtrain cars engines and accessories and slot car sets. A line named A-M-S Racing. They appear to be AURORA AFX equipment. Also, a little info on a larger scale called E train. Both the Playtrain and the E-Train are toy sets, and not in any way to be confused with scale trains.
* This catalog was acquired through Walters and has an 1891 price list
frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on June 15 2017 08:54:38 AM

Pokemonprime
Big Six

Posted - June 15 2017 :  11:50:58 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Pokemonprime to Buddylist
Some great books here, quite a few things to add to my wishlist. Of course, one of the ones I want is expensive. (Amazon wants $42 + shipping for a copy of Jersey Central Diesels by G. Burnett)
sim-al2
Also since they cut track maintaince the trains had huge trouble making over the railroad by the end
純那
yeah
They did a Rock Island volountarily
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 283  ~  Member Since: August 22 2016  ~  Last Visit: March 14 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 13 2017 :  11:00:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Yesterday I received a book in the mail. This book is the second I have by the author, Jim Harter. The book is " World Railways of the Nineteenth Century. This book is just like his first with no photos in it. Just copies of old engravings and some photos made into engravings. It is a very big book. 10" X 13 1/4" X 2 1/8 inches. It has over 550 pages. There are 360 pages of illustrations. Each page side is numbered as a Plate. Each plate has from 1 to 4 illustrations on it. maybe more. One plate 314 has 8 illustrations on it. 178 has 7. Plate 211 has 13. All are railroad related views. I have only thumbed through this book and can't be precise on exactly how illustrations there are. I'll just say it is a really big book of many pages and a lot of pictures.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 13 2017 11:02:21 AM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 13 2017 :  11:26:57 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
still looking for the children's book thread grrr

still all these books are cool

Gotta find a copy of the How to run a railroad
Plus the book that used Tyco trains in it

yardmaster54
Big Six

Spirit of 76

Posted - July 15 2017 :  8:50:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send yardmaster54 a Yahoo! Message  Add yardmaster54 to Buddylist
I don't know if you have an Ollie's store in your area or not. it's like a big lots. They have a book section and I have found several railroad books there for a reasonable price. So if you have an Ollie's in your area check it out.
Yardmaster 54
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 277  ~  Member Since: October 01 2011  ~  Last Visit: July 06 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - July 15 2017 :  9:56:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
I don't know if you have an Ollie's store in your area or not. it's like a big lots. They have a book section and I have found several railroad books there for a reasonable price. So if you have an Ollie's in your area check it out.

Originally posted by yardmaster54 - July 15 2017 :  8:50:53 PM

nopes

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - August 09 2017 :  2:18:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
I recently got a Railroad book " RAILWAYS ", by C. Hamilton Ellis. It is mostly English railways with some of everyone else thrown in. Lots of old lithographs and old photos here. An old photo within is of an 1860-70 Rogers 2-4-0.

The cover

The front page.

A random page of Lithographs.

frank

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on August 09 2017 2:33:46 PM

OscarSmithson
Switcher

Posted - June 01 2019 :  7:33:08 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add OscarSmithson to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm always looking for something good to read and I haven't read phenq blog https://enfinmince.fr/phenq-avis/ most of those.

many of us feel like we have this 'life thing' figured out.

Edited by - OscarSmithson on June 03 2019 6:04:52 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: June 01 2019  ~  Last Visit: June 03 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

MichaelHobbs
Switcher

TexasPacificAvatar

Posted - June 27 2019 :  6:20:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add MichaelHobbs to Buddylist
quote:
Thanks for all the recommendations. I'm always looking for something good to read and I haven't read most of those.

Originally posted by Heffingtons - May 19 2017 :  2:14:53 AM

best in railroad books, videos and collectibles.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1  ~  Member Since: June 27 2019  ~  Last Visit: December 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - July 01 2019 :  08:24:12 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here are a few more books I haven't show here yet.
frank

The Pennsylvania Railroad Vol 1, Building an Empire 1846-1917. by Albert J. Churella.

A History of the American Locomotive 1830-18880. By John H. White Jr.

The Central Railroad of New Jersey's first 100 Years. by Elaine Anderson.

OVER AND BACK The history of ferryboats in New York Harbor, by Brian J. Cudahy.

toptrain

Edited by - toptrain on July 01 2019 08:28:00 AM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - July 01 2019 :  1:35:03 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Very nice finds.

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - February 29 2020 :  8:01:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
while stacking boxes onto pallets I came across this old one
Its looonnggg out of print but I bet you could still find it on Ebay

most locos are American Type 4-4-0s
they use 1860-1880 equipment too

Would be a neat project to replicate the locos in HO scale

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - June 23 2020 :  10:45:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
found a book from my childhood for free

in the book the TENDER is is called a coal car! WRONGO!

looking for other children's books too

Edited by - microbusss on June 23 2020 10:48:14 PM

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 01 2020 :  11:17:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist

I received this most thoughtful gift from A-A-Ron, along with the Armodilloville Vehicle Collection,
yesterday. I have a particular fascination for first generation steam, British in the particular. The
vintage color plates will be finding their way into my next Henley videos, to be sure. This is
treasure for a guy like me. Thanks, A-A-Ron!!!
  Previous Topic: The Hallowenn Candy Train! Topic Next Topic: but it was cheaper!  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 1.86 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000