Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 5 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Apollo X 1965 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 New Product Releases
 Walthers bringing back the Dash 8-40B!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Bachmann 2016 catalog Topic Next Topic: Bachmann 2015 nmra announcements  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 11 2015 :  11:18:30 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
Walthers is finally bringing back the GE Dash 8-40B(W) in HO scale, but now it's in the Mainline series!

https://www.walthers.com/page/npc/2-2015/general_electric.html

I may get one of the Standard-DC Santa Fe locomotives. Hopefully it'll be DCC-ready, unlike the Trainline versions were!

Only a few roadnames right now, but so far it looks good!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 12 2015 :  12:28:10 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
That's great they're bringing them back.I don't think they've made those bad boys since the 1990's or 2000's.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - March 12 2015 :  04:50:01 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Wouldn't mind an Amtrak Pepsi Can - any word on price?
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - March 14 2015 :  11:40:22 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
quote:
Wouldn't mind an Amtrak Pepsi Can - any word on price?

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - March 12 2015 :  04:50:01 AM

I think it's $129 for the Standard DC version, and $199 for a sound/DCC-equipped version.
Not sure how detailing is with the Walthers Mainline series. I think it's basically Walthers's equivalent to the old Life-Like Proto 1000 series (the Mainline series also includes a few former Proto 1000 locomotives.)
The Trainline locomotives normally have detailing similar to lower-end Bachmann or TYCO, but high-quality can motors and all-wheel drive, and usually a flywheel. The Trainline Dash 8-40B(W)s had dual-flywheel motors and reversing headlights, as I think they were a little more upscale in the Trainline series. Even though they aren't DCC-ready, these Trainline Dash 8s are actually quite easy to do a hardwired decoder install on, hence me having two DCC-equipped Trainline Dash 8s (an Amtrak Pepsi Can and a BNSF Warbonnet.)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - March 14 2015 :  5:40:10 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Roger that, the Trainline series looks to be an easy upgrade, I worked on my BNSF unit last night and got it running again. It has dual flywheels as was mentioned, and runs super-smooth. Very happy with the $5 I spent to get it out of the thrift store

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - March 16 2015 :  8:34:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
quote:
Walthers is finally bringing back the GE Dash 8-40B(W) in HO scale, but now it's in the Mainline series!

I may get one of the Standard-DC Santa Fe locomotives. Hopefully it'll be DCC-ready, unlike the Trainline versions were!

Originally posted by wiley209 - March 11 2015 :  11:18:30 PM

I have a CSX model from te previous run. Runs decent but boy its plain looking. I prefer their F40 and FA models. They look good and run decent. Also very easy to convert to DCC.

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - March 16 2015 :  10:07:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
quote:

Originally posted by wiley209 - March 11 2015 :  11:18:30 PM

I have a CSX model from te previous run. Runs decent but boy its plain looking. I prefer their F40 and FA models. They look good and run decent. Also very easy to convert to DCC.

Originally posted by raysouthernpac - March 16 2015 :  8:34:31 PM

They are rather plain but they're definitely not bad.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

raysouthernpac
Big Boy

PacificElectricAvatar

Posted - February 10 2016 :  12:13:59 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add raysouthernpac to Buddylist
So I finally picked one of these Walthers Locomotives up. I got the non sound DCC ready version and paid $49 for it. Looking around, that seems to be a pretty good price as I have seen them as high as 80. It runs well, pulls decent and looks decent. This might be an unfair comparison but Here is a photo of it next to my Atlas Dash 8:

It think the diffrences speak for themselves. The atlas was about 100 dollars more so taking that into consideration, the Walthers model is a good deal. Add some detail on it and it will look right at home next to the atlas model:)

If you are not having fun, you are not doing it right.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 880  ~  Member Since: August 31 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 15 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - February 19 2016 :  8:44:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
That looks cool! Once BlueRail Trains makes their plug-in Bluetooth decoders available, I'll buy one of those DCC-ready Santa Fe Warbonnet locomotives, install the Bluetooth module, and have a nice second locomotive to operate with my Bachmann E-Z App system!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Bachmann 2016 catalog Topic Next Topic: Bachmann 2015 nmra announcements  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.31 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000