Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Life-Like Motive Power/Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Life-Like knuckle couplers!
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Anyone have those deluxe train sets? Topic Next Topic: Burlington CB&Q cement covered hopper  

wiley209
Hudson

Posted - December 11 2014 :  11:50:25 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wiley209 to Buddylist
I don't really think I did a thread about these yet. But late this summer, Walthers has finally made Life-Like's "SceneMaster" knuckle couplers available again!

They updated the packaging style a bit and dropped the "SceneMaster" name, but it's still the same product. These are actually pretty good for quick-and-dirty coupler upgrades to Life-Like stuff (except the newer GP38-2s with body-mount couplers), and I've found they also work pretty well with TYCO/Mantua's stuff, along with A.H.M. and IHC rolling stock.

But I learned when you're going to install these on the older Hong Kong-made Life-Like and TYCO stuff, there are little protrusions at the end of the coupler pockets that could interfere with the "whiskers," but I found trimming the end of the "whiskers" a millimeter or two off helps them fit in fine.

This is generally what I do with Life-Like, IHC and A.H.M. stuff. With certain TYCO products I just use Bachmann E-Z Mate knuckle couplers and Kadee talgo truck adapters.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 595  ~  Member Since: January 03 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2023 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 11 2014 :  11:55:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
How do they compare in price to the Bachmann EZ mate couplers or the McHenrys? I like the look of them.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PRR 4800
Big Boy

MantuaShifterAvatar

Posted - December 12 2014 :  01:20:33 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PRR 4800 to Buddylist
Ugh, not these... I have enough experience bending McHenrys' flimsy little knuckle "springs" completely out of shape, and breaking the whiskers of these here couplers, to know these are bad news. When swapping out horn-hooks, I say just bite the bullet and unless it's completely impossible, body-mount a pair of kadees. That way it'll work, guaranteed.
--CRC
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 930  ~  Member Since: January 25 2012  ~  Last Visit: August 23 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

PGE33
Hudson

CanadianPacificBeaverAvatar

Posted - December 12 2014 :  5:07:17 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add PGE33 to Buddylist
I got a handful of these once and tried them out.
They work better if you trim the coupler pocket instead of the whiskers.
Sadly, they're out of stock at Walthers more often than not.
 Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 505  ~  Member Since: August 09 2014  ~  Last Visit: October 11 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Anyone have those deluxe train sets? Topic Next Topic: Burlington CB&Q cement covered hopper  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.17 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000