Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 12 ]  [ Total: 12 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 Revell Motive Power, Rolling Stock & Accessories
 Powering the Big Boy
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Rare Revell Dow Polypropylene Covered Hopper Topic Next Topic: Revell Hopper  

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - December 01 2014 :  4:18:51 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
2 years ago I built a Big Boy that I got as a Christmas present. Thinking of trying to get the beast powered. I heard that Bowser had a kit to convert it. Anyone confirm or have tried this?

Thanks,

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - December 01 2014 :  5:40:29 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
Never heard of it. Best bet is to save up for a big boy. If such thing exists, it'll be rare and may command a high price.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 01 2014 :  5:57:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Tim, I remember seeing a thread on that somewhere. Seems like it was here but the memory ain't what it used to be. I'll see if I can find anything on it, hopefully someone else will beat me to it.
http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - December 01 2014 :  6:11:51 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Here's a couple threads. One I remember from this forum so I'm not going crazy

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6436 (scroll down to graftonterminal's post)

http://forum.atlasrr.com/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=30131&

From what I read, Bowser had a Big Boy kit that wasn't all that detailed, and the plan was that you would buy the Revell Big Boy kit as a source of detail parts and the correct tender (the Bowser kit did not include a tender).
You might be able to find more - I Googled "Bowser kit for Revell Big Boy".

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - December 02 2014 :  04:50:32 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist
Better get a Rivarossi Big Boy for the money! it´s better detailed and ready to roll! there is no mechanism kit
for a Revell Big Boy! - Erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wildecoupe
Big Six

Conrail

Posted - December 02 2014 :  08:57:07 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wildecoupe to Buddylist
Thanks guys for the info! Once I get a bigger layout, I may look for a Rivarossi Big Boy.

Tim
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 259  ~  Member Since: October 23 2014  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 15 2016 :  12:03:15 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
This thread caught my eye because I had the same idea. I hope I'm not being annoying by bringing it back to share that...

There may not be a kit to motorize the Revell Big Boy, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be done and potentially for less money than an RTR Big Boy (especially if you already have the Revell kit). You might be able to buy a spare chassis and wheelsets from Athearn or Rivarossi or Bachmann. Failing that, you'd have to adapt a couple of chassis or else make one at least partly from scratch (which would take precise cutting or drilling). The trickiest thing to get a hold of going that route would be drivers of the exact size - the Big Boy's drivers were a relatively unique 68" diameter, so if you were a stickler for that you'd have to luck into finding at least one octet of Big Boy drivers for sale as secondhand spares.

Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2016 :  12:41:22 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
yeah Zelda
Did you know UP is rebuilding one in Cheyenne?
So that makes THREE Big Boys within 100 miles of each other
4004, 4005 & 4014

4005 was in a serious derailment on April 27, 1953 killing engineer, fireman & brakeman in south Wyoming
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ZeldaTheSwordsman
Mikado

G2 Slingshot

Posted - January 15 2016 :  2:21:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ZeldaTheSwordsman to Buddylist
I'm well aware of 4014 being under restoration. And speaking of 4005, hopefully they do 4014's oil-burning conversion a lot better than the trial one they did to 4005 and then had to undo because it didn't work very well.
Feedback-hungry attention w****
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 750  ~  Member Since: December 05 2015  ~  Last Visit: January 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - January 15 2016 :  2:52:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
4005 is in the Forney Museum in Denver, Colorado
Forney name should sound familiar
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Rare Revell Dow Polypropylene Covered Hopper Topic Next Topic: Revell Hopper  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000