Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 16 ]  [ Total: 16 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Tyco Trains
 Tyco Accessories
 US-1 Stomper Tires
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Exhausting Possibilities Topic Next Topic: More from Highwayman97''s exhibition display  

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - September 19 2014 :  4:17:36 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Greetings from the UK.

My interest in Tyco is in the US-1 Trucking series, which I run with modern Life-like trains and other highways type systems.

The tires on my Stomper 4x4 are very loose and have just about had it. Can anyone suggest a source for a suitable replacement?

I don't mid if the replacements do not look exactly the same, as long as they fit and do the job. The key thing for me is to be able to run it. As I expect you know the Stomper sits higher and therefore needed bigger tires than anything else in the range. Normal tires will not get it clear of the track

If anyone needs any I have had some tailgates for the tipper truck made in black resin.

Many thanks,

James, Warwick, England
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator 

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 19 2014 :  6:27:33 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
That's gonna be tough! Try looking at slot car central and talk to Bob. He has old and vintage stuff.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - September 20 2014 :  3:06:35 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks Justin,

I appreciate the suggestion.

I have ordered some knobbly 'Bandit' tires from Bob and am also trying some larger tires for Dune Buggies/Hot rods that I found on e-bay, as I need some larger tires for my old Ideal slot cars.

I will let everyone know how this works out and whether I get my Stomper back on the road.

It is amazing to see how well the Tyco US-1 Track fits in with the geometry of the Life-Like Power-loc track. It s possible to make some excellent layouts.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on September 20 2014 3:07:53 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - September 26 2014 :  08:22:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Dear All,

As promised, I am reporting back and pleased to report success.

I acquired three types of tires. Two were no use for this model but one type was: These are AFX Drag Tires from mdhotrod@aol.com. These fitted and gave sufficient ground clearance to enable my Stomper to run again! They are plain slick type tires, not detailed like the old perished ones that had fallen off, but they do the job!

He trades on E-Bay as mdhotrod - eBay item number:131298930458 There more than 10 sets available at $10 for 4 pairs.

jamesday@btinternet.com/20140926081908_Tyco Stomper 2.jpg" border="0" style='cursor:default' onload='resizeImage(this);' onClick='doimage(this,event)'>

Good luck to all you Stomper owners out there!

James
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 48  ~  Member Since: September 19 2014  ~  Last Visit: December 03 2017 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 04 2014 :  5:03:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Dear All,

Thought I ought to add a quick extra bit to this, following experience gained.

My test track circuit uses old 'Ideal' Single track sections borrowed from their Knight Rider and The Professionals sets. This has a deeper slot than most other makes of HO cars tracks. I never thought this was an issue until Friday when I ran my stomper on an improvised Trucking layout in the front room.

It had run well on the Ideal track, but did not run so well on the US-1 Track. Although the stomper was clear of the track surface, picked up and maintained power, the issue was the slot pins were rubbing along the bottom of the slot on some sections. This is because although the replacement tyres lift the bottom of the Stomper clear of the track, they are marginally smaller than the originals and do not allow the pins to be completely clear of the slot base.

My Stomper now has marginally reduced height slot pins and runs smoothly and freely on Tyco and Life-Like track and still works on Ideal as well.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on October 04 2014 5:05:48 PM

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 04 2014 :  5:57:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
James, I guess I don't know what "Stomper" you have. There were some battery powered trucks called Stomper by Schaffer, but they weren't slot cars. Like this one I just bought yesterday -

These non-slot "Stompers" are well-sought after, I think they came after I grew up, in the late 70's / early 80's. Not sure. Anyway, if you'd post some pictures of your Stomper, I'd like to see it.

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 07 2014 :  04:29:21 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Thanks Jerry,

I like those Tires!!!

No, you are 100% correct, I am clueless on the type. I have tried and failed to post images earlier in the thread...

The Stomper I have is the blue and white one at the top of this link: (looks a bit like yours)
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycous1trucking/id9.html

My main interest in US-1 is to make it run in connection with trains. I don't have any Tyco Trains, so I use Life-Like instead. My speciality is making the cars and trucks wait for the trains at Grade Crossings:
http://www.traincollectors.org.uk/images/Sandy%202011/Image16.jpg

This is an image of part of a layout I did a few years ago.

James

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 07 2014 :  06:42:43 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Tyco did a handful of "Stomper" HO slot trucks as a cross-promotion to the larger battery operated trucks.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

AMC_Gremlin_GT
Big Boy

GremlinBL2

Posted - October 07 2014 :  07:38:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT an AOL message  Send AMC_Gremlin_GT a Yahoo! Message  Add AMC_Gremlin_GT to Buddylist
Ok, I see. I'm not familiar with the slot car versions, as I never really got into 4x4 trucks at all, so I always passed over those when looking at slot vehicles. But I do think I've seen them before, just not a common type. Makes sense on the cross-promotion of them, too. I guess that was a big thing back in the '80's, these Stomper trucks, so everyone got into the act then.
Nice US-1 layout you did, James, I like the looks of it. Are there train rails in the slot track, or did you just put the train on top of the slot track? Hard to tell in the photo, I didn't know if US-1 had a train crossing or not. Still don't . I deftinitely don't have that piece if they did make a train crossing section. Looks like something I want to do myself

Jerry

" When life throws you bananas...it's easy to slip up"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3974  ~  Member Since: January 04 2009  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 07 2014 :  12:19:16 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
Jerry,

Thanks for the reply and the kind words.

Yes, the US-1 range did include a railroad grade crossing. http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycous1trucking/id6.html + Scroll Down)

It was available seperately and there were two in the large Road and Rail Set. (Tyco Trains + US-1), but is hard to get today.
See: http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/tycous1trucking/id27.html

The same crossing was also sold in black as part of the Tyco Slot Racing System (Quick Click Track Range).

The 'Life-Like' Sante-Fe loco is taking a train over the crossing in the picture and the trucks have stopped on the isolated road sections on either side, until the train is completely clear.

The stopping is done by reed switches mounted in the track and magnets under the trains. The US-1 track is easily modified to allow sections either side of the grade crossing to be isolated.

The rail road track is Life-Like 'Power-Loc', which is a good quality roadbed system. They also make a Slot Car/Railroad grade grossing, very similar to the old Tyco one. This can be bought seperately or in the excellent 'High Iron and Burnin' Rubber slot car and train set. www.youtube.com/watch?v=wTMQYDn_VVM

Life-Like Dura-Loc slot car track and their Grade crossing can be linked to Tyco Quick-Click Track and US-1 using an adaptor that they provide.

Confusingly the track nearest the camera is some Single Track roadway sections from the 'Ideal' range, although it looks like rail road track in the picture! These track pieces appeared in their 'Knight Rider' and 'The Professionals' sets in the early 1980s. On this layout I used it to create a separate high level circuit to add more movement. This track was also made in Gray.

Ideal slot car track has a much deeper slot than most other systems, hence my clarification post earlier

Hope that this helps!

Thanks again for the interest.

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on October 07 2014 12:21:34 PM

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - October 08 2014 :  07:00:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
I had a couple of those US1 crossings and they sold for pretty good money on eBay.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

jamesday@btinternet.com
Switcher

Posted - October 08 2014 :  12:04:04 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add jamesday@btinternet.com to Buddylist
I got a chum in Cincinnati to buy my pair for me, as a lot of US-1 stuff on e-bay is available to United States Only

I think we paid around $110 for them about three and a half years ago. I am really pleased to have them and very grateful to my chum who helped me get them.

The Life-Like ones do the same job, providing that you are not bothered by them being black instead of gray! Even with two pairs of adapter tracks to convert them to fit them into a US-1 Layout I reckon you would spend no more than $50 to install two crossings.

The one item that has totally eluded me so far are the 45 Degree large radius curves. I have just bought some ordinary black Tyco Quick Click ones from e-bay here in the UK and plan to spray them gray!

James

Edited by - jamesday@btinternet.com on October 08 2014 12:05:18 PM

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - October 08 2014 :  12:16:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
well send your Tyco tire buddy to us!
Some of us need tires for our race tracks
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - October 08 2014 :  6:29:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Man, I swear my grandparents got one of these Stompers lying around somewhere in their house. They look so familiar to me.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 03 2018 :  05:16:23 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Been a while since I posted about this topic, I was using a different name back then which for a technical reason stopped me posting images......

Although I was pleased with my non original soloution at the time the stomper ran best on non-Tyco track like Ideal, where the slot is deeper and although I reduced the guide pin depth the car soon tended to bottom out and drag, which was not such an issue after I first fitted my substitute tires

Recently something came my way and I had to share this with you.

My chum Doug has just shared some of these with repro tires me. They are perfect reproductions of the original tires in Silicon rubber and fit and work perfectly.

The come from Dr Oogan www.oogan.com and sadly seem to be no longer available. Dr Oogan describes bimself as not being a spares supplier, but someone who has small batches of things made to share with his chums. He then sells on the surplus to others. I like his approach. He has had some great US-1 bits made, most of which is now sold, but worth watching I feel.

On the plus side with the guide pins replaced with full depth versions, the pick ups adjusted back to how they were supplied and my non effective tires swapped for the replicas that Doug has sent, I now have stomper that actually runs as it should on Tyco track! Thanks Doug!

James

James

Edited by - Highwayman97 on June 03 2018 05:58:35 AM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Top Down
Switcher

Posted - June 04 2018 :  12:43:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Top Down to Buddylist
Glad they worked out James but please note:

'Dr Oogan' produces in small batches.

I bought out his current batch of Stomper Tyres but there will be more - when he feels like doing them again.

Doug
Edited by - Top Down on June 04 2018 12:48:07 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 18  ~  Member Since: May 22 2018  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Highwayman97
Little Six

Posted - June 29 2018 :  04:47:39 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Highwayman97 to Buddylist
Latest from Dr Oogan (Courtesy of Doug)

I just finished casting a fresh batch of Stomper tires this week and wanted to give you a heads up prior to packaging. Get back to me if you want to purchase any more because I'll leave some sets loose, otherwise I'm going to package/label this bunch and get them listed on my site and ebay. I only have 29 sets total this time around.

Cheers,
Chris
www.oogan.com
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 128  ~  Member Since: December 10 2016  ~  Last Visit: December 04 2020 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Exhausting Possibilities Topic Next Topic: More from Highwayman97''s exhibition display  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.36 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000