Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 1 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 4 ]  [ Total: 5 ]  [ Newest Member: Rohan4301 ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 AHM/Rivarossi Motive Power & Rolling Stock
 Pros-cons NYC Hudson Steam Loco.
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Vintage AHM, Life Like and some Tyco Topic Next Topic: AHM GG1,  Take Two  

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 10 2014 :  10:41:22 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Anyone have info on this steamer good or bad. It's a Rivarossi...

Edited by - walt on September 10 2014 10:47:15 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator 

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 10 2014 :  10:45:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
Dude, that's awesome! I don't see them go much less than $100 in that condition. I've never operated them so I have no clue how well they run overall so I can't really answer the question on the title bar.
-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."

Edited by - kovacste000 on September 10 2014 10:45:42 PM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - September 10 2014 :  10:57:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Hi Walt,

I have a couple if them. They are good lookers & run pretty good if they were taken care of. They run much faster than prototypical so be careful on 18 deg curves if you have any. Do you know if it is an AHM-Rivarossi or a 'red box' Rivarossi? I know that they upgraded the motor sometime after AHM went out - I'm not sure when as their history is not well documented. I only noticed it (the upgraded motor) when I picked up a few Rivarossi engines sometime in the 90's and I saw that the later ones ran quieter. Hope this helps!

Eric
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 10 2014 :  11:24:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
Thank You, Stephen...

Eric, Thank You for the info. This is a recent purchase by my nephew who is an HO steamer fan. He sent me a photo so I wanted to find info on it. I don't know if it's a red box item or not... Just mailed this morning... Paid $47.00 on ebay... I personally think it's a nice looking piece!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 10 2014 :  11:38:31 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:
Anyone have info on this steamer good or bad. It's a Rivarossi...
Originally posted by walt - September 10 2014 :  10:41:22 PM

I have the non-streamlined AHM Rivarossi Hudson. It weighed about as much as a whole handful of popcorn, when I got it, but there was plenty of room to add weight. With the weight added, it pulls much better. The motor seemed pretty robust, so I don't think you could burn it out by adding the weight.

The pilot truck had a spring arrangement that both pulled the truck down more firmly on the track and tried to center the truck. This centering action made it want to pick frogs on a curve, so I replaced the little coil spring with a phosphor bronze spring tab that sits in the frame above the truck and only presses down on it. I think it would track okay with no spring at all, but it uses the front truck for electrical pickup so I want the truck to sit down firmly on the rails.

It overhangs quite a bit on sharp curves (e.g. 18" radius) so if you plan to use it, watch the clearances on the curves as you design your layout.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 20 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 11 2014 :  06:37:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
Thank You, Stephen...

Eric, Thank You for the info. This is a recent purchase by my nephew who is an HO steamer fan. He sent me a photo so I wanted to find info on it. I don't know if it's a red box item or not... Just mailed this morning... Paid $47.00 on ebay... I personally think it's a nice looking piece!

Originally posted by walt - September 10 2014 :  11:24:23 PM

Nice loco Walt - and I was drooling over it recently on ebay. Surprised it didn't go for more, I think your nephew got a good buy!

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 11 2014 :  10:35:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
dang I want one someday
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14689  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - September 11 2014 :  5:16:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Here are two of the three that I have

I have the NYC Grey Hudson, I think its in a box I cant reach quickly - I had a basement flood a few months ago (all the trains were ok!)
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 107  ~  Member Since: November 29 2006  ~  Last Visit: January 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 11 2014 :  5:20:58 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I have a standard and stream lined Rivarossi Hudsons. No complaints. Fine runners.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 11 2014 :  5:39:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
Given the pizza cutter flanges, odds are it's an old AHM version with the cab mounted motor. They run very smoothly, but are geared fast Like all older Rivarossi, not counting the Heisler. If it has the ball bearing or round can motor it will be relatively quiet, but noisier if it has the square bronze bearing motor.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 11 2014 :  8:03:32 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Thank You, Stephen...

Originally posted by walt - September 10 2014 :  11:24:23 PM

It is. I've actually seen one in person at a train show for sale at $50. For some bizarre reason I didn't pick it up and I'm still kicking myself over it to this day.But really, those things are gorgeous.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 11 2014 :  8:04:12 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
dang I want one someday

Originally posted by microbusss - September 11 2014 :  10:35:38 AM

Me too, Microbusss, me too.

-Steve

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 11 2014 :  9:13:57 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
quote:
Here are two of the three that I have

Originally posted by Knights89 - September 11 2014 :  5:16:26 PM

Very Nice, Eric!

I'd like to have one in the Chessie colors...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - September 11 2014 :  9:24:20 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I would like a scullin disc driver Hudson like the black and silver Hudson shown above. Those are rarer it seems.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: April 04 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - September 12 2014 :  12:15:51 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
Thanks Walt! I know a guy I met through evil bay who could most likely do that. Ill post some stuff he has done for me tomorrow. His stuff looks factory done.

Justin - The first time I saw it I bought it. You are right - I believe I have only seen the Scullin disc drive Hudson once or twice since then at shows - and I bought it in 1995!

Knights89
Little Six

Posted - September 14 2014 :  11:26:08 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Knights89 to Buddylist
I posted pics of the custom set the guy I found here: http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=15254

I tried to show the detail, the cars look factory painted.

Darth Santa Fe
Big Six

Posted - September 26 2014 :  12:44:46 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Darth Santa Fe to Buddylist
I've got one of the Rivarossi Dreyfuss Hudsons, and it's a nice looking steam engine. Mine was a bit of a miss on quality though, with wheels that weren't perfectly centered on their axles, so no amount of quartering could get it running smoothly. It became a very extreme repower project, and I'm happy to report that it is now a very smooth runner.

http://cs.trains.com/mrr/f/88/t/178728.aspx

Most of my other older Rivarossis have been great runners (with minor adjustment here and there), so as long as the wheels on yours are properly centered and quartered from the factory, you'll have a real nice runner.

Darth Santa Fe, doing weird and challenging projects for the fun of it!

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 236  ~  Member Since: September 13 2011  ~  Last Visit: April 06 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

JRG1951
Big Boy

Old_Guy

Posted - October 07 2014 :  2:37:26 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Send JRG1951 a Yahoo! Message  Add JRG1951 to Buddylist
Found these on eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-SCALE-RIVAROSSI-NEW-YORK-CENTRAL-7-CARS-WITH-ENGINE-/381016573383?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item58b65b85c7

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HO-SCALE-RIVAROSSI-SANTA-FE-6-PASSAGE-CARS-ENGINE-AND-COAL-CAR-/381016575755?pt=Model_RR_Trains&hash=item58b65b8f0b

Regards John
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 886  ~  Member Since: January 11 2012  ~  Last Visit: December 16 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Ricky Tanner
Switcher

MantuaAvatar

Posted - June 01 2018 :  6:10:43 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Ricky Tanner to Buddylist
I've had many over the years. They were top shelf for RTR non brass in the 60's and 70's. I prefer the later Rivarossi issues with the RP25 flanges and upgraded 5 pole motors.I'd rate the later issues as a 6 on a scale of 10. Mine are now "shelf queens" as I run mostly BLI steam nowadays.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 40  ~  Member Since: May 23 2018  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Vintage AHM, Life Like and some Tyco Topic Next Topic: AHM GG1,  Take Two  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.42 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000