Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 10 ]  [ Total: 10 ]  [ Newest Member: Strummer ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 General HO Train Discussions
 Identification Station
 Erie Lackawanna Diesel . . .
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Who made this building? Topic Next Topic: Eastwood Railroad by Mantua???  

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 10 2014 :  2:49:28 PM Link directly to this topic  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
I'm pretty much ignorant about diesel locomotives (don't know much about steam either). I bought a "junk lot" off eBay to get a tender I wanted and this diesel came along for the ride. I don't see a name (manufacturer or company) on it, but I haven't taken it apart yet. I found one similar on eBay, though numbered differently, but that one didn't show a manufacturer either. I can tell from the eBay photo of the other (much better condition) that the one I got is missing what seems to be a pretty good size weight on the bottom, along with an air tank, and maybe other things. It seems pretty much a "cheap" model, but I kinda dig what seems to be "old school" style on the cab. So . . . what is this thing? Thanks. Barry

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator 

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 10 2014 :  3:35:13 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
Barry - that is an AHM RS-2
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id31.html
scroll down and you'll see it. When running right they are excellent pullers. Great score.

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 10 2014 :  3:59:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
missing belly tank & has a hole near the cab but like JNXT nice score
Besides I buy a used loco not caring if it runs or not
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 10 2014 :  4:57:14 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
It's a Mehano. The fuel tanks are sometimes missing on these, but it would have the AHM logo on the bottom, plus RSO or Tempo (seemed to be names they went by back then), and/or Izola, I assume for the city in Yugoslavia. The lead goes in the center of the hood, with a small weight at the back.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 10 2014 :  6:24:15 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
Hey thanks for the feedback guys. Anyone who wants this can have it; first to PM me with an address gets it. I think it has at least a couple good parts on it. If I were in to diesels, I'd get after it.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

kovacste000
Big Boy

Daylight 4449

Posted - September 10 2014 :  6:48:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add kovacste000 to Buddylist
quote:
Barry - that is an AHM RS-2
http://www.ho-scaletrains.net/ahmhoscalelocomotives/id31.html
scroll down and you'll see it. When running right they are excellent pullers. Great score.

Originally posted by JNXT 7707 - September 10 2014 :  3:35:13 PM

That's what I was gonna say! To be honest, I like the looks of those things too, Barry.

-Steve

"A lot of modellers out there who go to these train shows see broken HO stuff and go, 'This is useless' when, in reality, they can still be used for modeling whether it's as a prop on your layout or a cool project to make something old new again."
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3533  ~  Member Since: February 17 2014  ~  Last Visit: January 11 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

walt
Big Boy

Tyco Yum

Posted - September 10 2014 :  8:34:28 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add walt to Buddylist
I had an AHM RS2. Or 3..? It looks like that one... I do want to replace the one I had. It was a blue & yellow Santa Fe...
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 6279  ~  Member Since: February 18 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 04 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 10 2014 :  11:00:27 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
It's going to Ben. He was the quickest on the draw.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2087  ~  Member Since: March 16 2013  ~  Last Visit: July 05 2018 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 11 2014 :  10:34:18 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
quote:
It's going to Ben. He was the quickest on the draw.
Originally posted by Barry - September 10 2014 :  11:00:27 PM

mine now MUHAHAHA
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14688  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

lvrr325
Big Boy

Posted - September 11 2014 :  12:16:36 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add lvrr325 to Buddylist
Looks like an early version with vertical armature motor. Later ones have the same guts as the GP18, which seems ot be the first with a conventional motor layout and worm gear driven trucks at both ends.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 956  ~  Member Since: January 27 2008  ~  Last Visit: May 27 2016 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Barry
Big Boy

DRGWAvatar

Posted - September 11 2014 :  7:50:42 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Barry to Buddylist
It did have a vertical motor and an interesting gear box with an adjustable gear ratio maybe (e.g., if you switch position of one set of wheels with a gear); plus the box seemed pretty tight that grease wouldn't get all over. Motor design seemed a bit shaky.

NickelPlate759
Big Boy

Rivarossi Logo

Posted - September 12 2014 :  12:53:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add NickelPlate759 to Buddylist
The motor is a coffee grinder, and early ones had a tendency for the windings to short against the armature laminations. The idler & axle gears are all the same, 11T IIRC. They run very smoothly with a can transplant.
The Tyco Depot
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3927  ~  Member Since: June 20 2007  ~  Last Visit: November 19 2015 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 15 2014 :  12:20:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I got it!

of course it took the STUPID way around!

this is NOT saving money, USPS

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 15 2014 :  2:07:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
quote:

This is NOT saving money, USPS.
Originally posted by microbusss - September 15 2014 :  12:20:11 PM

Consider the Federal Express model where every package goes by way of Memphis. It seems wasteful and expensive until you figure that a package is thus handled as little as possible. Handling is more expensive than a few extra miles on a package.

In the USPS Manitou Springs to Aurora to Omaha to North Platte to Scotts Bluff scheme, packages are being sorted and routed in a hub and spoke arrangement that requires minimal handling and a sort of carpooling efficiency that allows them to share the ride with other packages heading in a similar direction. It seems funny from one package's perspective, but makes more sense in the context of all the packages.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 15 2014 :  3:53:23 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
ok shaggy Do the route on a map
you will see the mail truck SKIPPED North Platte via I-76 to I-80 to Omaha
900 miles for a route that is what? 300 miles from Manitou Springs to MY hose? jeeeez

scsshaggy
Big Boy

scsshaggy

Posted - September 15 2014 :  7:49:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add scsshaggy to Buddylist
I can see it now. A big semi truck full of mail pulls up in front of your house and the driver digs through about half a trailer load to find your package and leaves it for you. Then, he goes three blocks down and repeats the process. This continues all the way to Omaha. Each package went the shortest way and no package asked, "are we almost there yet?" On the other hand, the process took about 5 months and tied up the truck for the entire time.

There's always a truck making the rounds in Manitou Springs, so your package just rode along. There's always a truck from Manitou to the Aurora sorting center. There's always a truck from Aurora to Omaha (but not from Aurora to anywhere else in Nebraska). There's always a truck from Omaha to North Platte and a truck from North Platte to Scotts Bluff. Again your package rode along. Anything else would be a special trip and that's expensive!

So, why not a truck from Aurora to North Platte? There's probably not a whole truck load of mail going that way.

And anyway, it didn't have to go all the way to Memphis as FedEx does.

Carpe Manana!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 2353  ~  Member Since: September 17 2013  ~  Last Visit: April 18 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - September 16 2014 :  6:29:00 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
FYI Scottsbluff is ONE word
The county & Monument is 2

JNXT 7707
Big Boy

Posted - September 16 2014 :  7:46:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add JNXT 7707 to Buddylist
quote:
FYI Scottsbluff is ONE word
The county & Monument is 2

Originally posted by microbusss - September 16 2014 :  6:29:00 PM

THE INFORMER.....

http://tycodepot.com/
 Posts: 2451  ~  Member Since: April 11 2013  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 04 2021 :  11:20:00 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

Nice Erie Lackawanna engine Barry. Brings back memories.

Not my video.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

wks
Big Boy

parrot2015

Posted - March 04 2021 :  11:30:54 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add wks to Buddylist

My HO Bachmann engine.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 5849  ~  Member Since: February 12 2014  ~  Last Visit: April 19 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - March 04 2021 :  9:37:07 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
hmm I forgot what I did with that loco

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - March 06 2021 :  08:14:06 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
Here is a GP-7 in Lackawanna.
frank

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
  Previous Topic: Who made this building? Topic Next Topic: Eastwood Railroad by Mantua???  
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 0.34 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000