Tyco Collector's Forum -
Welcome to the forum.
Username:
Password:
Save Password

Register
Forgot your Password?
  Home   Forums   Events Calendar   Forum Admins & Mods   FAQ   Install Search Provider   Register
Active Topics | Active Polls | Newsletters | Member Map | Members | Online Users |
[ Active Members: 0 | Anonymous Members: 0 | Guests: 30 ]  [ Total: 30 ]  [ Newest Member: Stan ] Select Skin:
 All Forums
 Other Great HO Trains
 All the others not mentioned.
 Varney Locomotives
   All users can post NEW topics in this forum
   All users can reply to topics in this forum
Previous Page
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic: Some Electrotren Topic Next Topic: Sakura HO Docksider
Page: of 2

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

The Young Dr.Frankenstein!

Posted - November 24 2014 :  7:46:41 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
I own some Varney myself and will show when I unpack.
" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 25 2014 :  09:21:30 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
I wonder if I can start a model railroader flame war...

PENN LINE COULD BEAT VARNEY ANY DAY!!
Now that I have cheered for my team I will go hide.

Originally posted by PRR 4800 - November 24 2014 :  7:17:08 PM

LOL! I have multiples of both Varney and Penn Line!

I'd put my stock Varney Super Consolidation, Pacific and Mikado up to a challenge against the Penn Line H9, K4 & L1 any day. They probably out weigh the like Penn Line locomotive by almost half a pound or more each and those super smooth Lindsay motors that power them not only will out perform the Penn Line Pittman open frame motor in slow speed, but they will also out pull anything and everything!

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 25 2014 :  2:16:06 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
So are you going to post a photo of all you Penn Line locomotives like you posted all your Varney Locomotives Sean?
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: August 31 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 25 2014 :  2:44:21 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
So are you going to post a photo of all you Penn Line locomotives like you posted all your Varney Locomotives Sean?

Originally posted by Parts323 - November 25 2014 :  2:16:06 PM

Hi Eric,

I do not have any plans of it. Frank already has posted a fairly thorough thread on the Penn Line line. It would seem redundant to and possibly insulting to Frank if I were to post my engines, many of which are the same engines as he posted and described, and then give my version of the history about them. I think he has done a bang up job in that department.

http://www.tycoforums.com/tyco/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=11874&SearchTerms=PENN,LINE

I posted the Varney thread originally because there was none and I thought the manufacturer warranted its own thread.

Sean

"If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough!" - Mario Andretti!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 1729  ~  Member Since: June 15 2011  ~  Last Visit: June 26 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 25 2014 :  3:26:09 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
Thought you would have jumped at the opportunity to be King Train Collector, but alas it looks like someone else holds the PennLine King crown.
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 49  ~  Member Since: August 31 2013  ~  Last Visit: May 28 2021 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Mustangs_n_Trains
Big Boy

Mustang Man

Posted - November 25 2014 :  4:45:11 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Mustangs_n_Trains to Buddylist
quote:
Thought you would have jumped at the opportunity to be King Train Collector, but alas it looks like someone else holds the PennLine King crown.

Originally posted by Parts323 - November 25 2014 :  3:26:09 PM

Eric,
Not looking to be the king of anything. Believe it or not, I am more interested in sharing for posterity's sake. Some of these engines are very rare and the people who know the history behind their production are passing away. I'm young in terms of the vintage HO collecting crowd. I am only 44 and hope to be around for at least the next 30-50 years. It is nice being able to track down these pieces now and identify them for myself and others before the information is lost.

Sean

Parts323
Switcher

PRRShieldAvatar

Posted - November 26 2014 :  08:49:24 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Parts323 to Buddylist
I may be opposite. I primarily collect newer model train. I am deeply invested into Broadway Limited and Kato, but also have several dozen Bowser and PennLine, which do look good when properly detailed and also run fairly well when tuned correctly.

Erich
Big Boy

train

Posted - November 27 2014 :  05:29:27 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Erich to Buddylist

Varney , Penn Line who cares ? it´s fun to restore them. Here are some of my projects. some stripped
some primed. - Erich
 Country: Austria  ~  Posts: 1046  ~  Member Since: December 03 2008  ~  Last Visit: December 19 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RDC1
Hudson

P&R

Posted - November 27 2014 :  06:32:49 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RDC1 to Buddylist
quote:

Eric,
Not looking to be the king of anything. Believe it or not, I am more interested in sharing for posterity's sake. Some of these engines are very rare and the people who know the history behind their production are passing away. I'm young in terms of the vintage HO collecting crowd. I am only 44 and hope to be around for at least the next 30-50 years. It is nice being able to track down these pieces now and identify them for myself and others before the information is lost.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - November 25 2014 :  4:45:11 PM

Nice!

~ Dave

They're ALL toys

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 547  ~  Member Since: December 25 2010  ~  Last Visit: May 20 2019 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 01 2015 :  12:32:38 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150319_215941_zpsqkmliztd.jpg.html] [/URL] See, I own Varney! I'll take photos of my other ones later and share.

" Heck with counting 'em rivets, TRAINS ARE FOR FUN! Not called the Mad Scientist for nothing either!"
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 3145  ~  Member Since: May 07 2007  ~  Last Visit: March 25 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 01 2015 :  06:49:52 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
quote:
quote:
what are the curtains made of?

Originally posted by microbusss - September 10 2014 :  11:05:23 AM

They were made from a tissue type material Ben.

Originally posted by Mustangs_n_Trains - September 10 2014 :  8:40:43 PM

If you want ones that last use tea bags. They don't fall apart. Not just for steam cabs but for when you winterize a radiator on a diesel it look good also. I have a Walters SW1 done that way.
frank

The Walters SW1

A camelback with neatly hung winter curtains.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on June 01 2015 07:35:51 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

ScaleCraft
Big Six

Posted - June 01 2015 :  12:07:53 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add ScaleCraft to Buddylist
quote:
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150319_215941_zpsqkmliztd.jpg.html] [/URL] See, I own Varney! I'll take photos of my other ones later and share.

Originally posted by Redneck Justin - June 01 2015 :  12:32:38 AM

I do believe you will be looking for a boiler shell for that unit..sooner than later.
And hopefully you will remove it before any stresses are forced into the frame.
Cylinders may already be gone. The left cant back with parallel to rails crosshead guides...best check other side.
There might not be a lot left that's salvageable...but that's a nice bell!
Dave

Edited by - ScaleCraft on June 01 2015 12:10:31 PM
 Country: United Kingdom  ~  Posts: 350  ~  Member Since: April 26 2013  ~  Last Visit: December 24 2022 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Redneck Justin
Big Boy

Posted - June 06 2015 :  01:03:42 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Redneck Justin to Buddylist
[URL=http://s1228.photobucket.com/user/jdboomer904/media/Mobile%20Uploads/Screenshot_2015-06-05-16-39-24_zpsbdfnubud.png.html] [/URL]

Today's win on eBay. Scalecraft,I do want another boiler. Frame is fine and very little hair line on cylinders. The central valley valve gear made the $30 worth it. It'll eventually be fixed.

toptrain

On Pingynp

Posted - June 06 2015 :  09:25:29 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add toptrain to Buddylist
*** Varney Berkshire IN A BOX ***

The only thing I have put together is a Varney Berkshire body with a Mantua Mikado drive and it will get a 4 wheel trailing truck. Haven't decided on a tender yet.
* I still have my Varney Hudson I made into a Streamlined PRR K4.
frank

photo to follow soon ! Photo is posted.

toptrain

" It's a Heck of a Day " !!!

Edited by - toptrain on June 06 2015 09:35:10 AM
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 7504  ~  Member Since: August 07 2008  ~  Last Visit: February 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Bring Back British Rail
Switcher

Posted - November 22 2021 :  01:40:04 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Bring Back British Rail to Buddylist
I bought this Varney Berk a year or two ago on ebay from the gentleman who built it. It came with the original kit instructions. It cost me $100 and is probably my best ever ebay purchase as I had always wanted one of these engines ever since I saw a picture of one on on pages 32-33 of the 1973 6th printing of Linn Westcott's "HO Primer" back when I was a kid. It needed just a little TLC, but it runs like an dream now and will actually creep quite well.

Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14  ~  Member Since: November 19 2021  ~  Last Visit: April 13 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 22 2021 :  03:26:37 AM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

DaCheez
Big Boy

Nose

Posted - November 22 2021 :  5:31:30 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Click to see DaCheez's MSN Messenger address  Add DaCheez to Buddylist
That's a nice looking steamer! I love the old metal stuff. I have a decent fleet of Varney F3s in various states. They're on the back burner at the moment as they don't like the curves on my current layout.

Country: Canada  ~  Posts: 3317  ~  Member Since: September 22 2006  ~  Last Visit: March 27 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

microbusss
Big Boy

tiger

Posted - November 22 2021 :  7:34:40 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add microbusss to Buddylist
I'm still a idiot for not posting mine yet!
But I will sooner or later
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 14683  ~  Member Since: February 23 2009  ~  Last Visit: March 28 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

RP model railroads
Big Boy

DOUBLE NICKEL55

Posted - November 22 2021 :  9:35:45 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add RP model railroads to Buddylist
That Varney Berkshire is awesome!

Nice F3 collection there!

"Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in Heaven." - Matthew 5:16

Youtube Channel: www.youtube.com/rpmodelrailroads

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/rp_model_railroads/
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 4669  ~  Member Since: August 11 2017  ~  Last Visit: July 20 2023 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page

Chops124
Big Boy

Penn Central Logo

Posted - November 22 2021 :  11:47:37 PM Link directly to this reply  Show Profile  Add Chops124 to Buddylist
Nice collection! Hey, your image of the latest Queensdale
Layout pic did not post!!!
 Country: USA  ~  Posts: 11188  ~  Member Since: December 09 2013  ~  Last Visit: March 24 2024 Alert Moderator  Go To Top Of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic: Some Electrotren Topic Next Topic: Sakura HO Docksider  
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Jump To:
 Image Forums 2001 This page was generated in 1.38 seconds. Powered By: Snitz Forums 2000